Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Door steps not working

Hello Everyone,
Having a problem with my electric door steps. They retracted out but will not go back in. Tested with a meter, getting juice to the steps, in fact the light underneath works.....just here a clicking sound and then nothing. Could the magnetic door switch have gone bad? Also checked the ignition switch...meter read good...any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

zoocrackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
I have experienced this problem twice. Each time the gear on the motor jams with the gear that operates the step. I had to remove the motor and then reattach it. Be sure and disconnect the power to the step before you begin the work. You don't want the apparatus to suddenly cycle and catch a finger or hand.

CB1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you hear a click, the controller is telling the step to come in, however as the other poster said your steps are in a bind and will not come in. This was the most common problem we had with quickee steps. It is a simple fix. just take loose the 3 screws with a 5/16 head that are on the gearbox. Drop the gearbox cover just enough to free the gears. then retighten.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had this same problem. It was the top magnet. I could touch the wires going into the
magnet and it would work. Took it apart and found that I could replace it. Researched it on internet and found the best price was at American RV Co. I have a 2003 HR with
Kiwee steps. Steps now work great.
caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
try this thread:
Power steps
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Everyone,
It was the gears jammed. I removed the three screws dropped the motor to see if the gears were damaged....put the unit back together, presto, she works! Again, thanks for all the advice. This forum is a great source of information.
zoocrackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
hey guys i have the exact same problem with the motor jamming.after like 10 times of opening and closing the door it does it again.i am tired of doing this.i replaced the module thinking it was making the motor go beyond the stop point and jamming but that did nothing.Did anyone figure out how to fix this issue.its so
km17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Door steps not working

Some general info I discovered when my steps wouldn't totally retract

In reading about them in the manufacture's literature I discovered the control board senses the amount of current flowing in the actuating motor. This is so it'll stop reliably at full extension and also stop if the step encounters something in its path. Like the Lexus that pulled in close in the WM parking space next to me/you/us just before the rv dooooor was opened.

So there are no limit (physical) switches on the steps.

Also it's said the motor drive gears are plastic and one of the surest ways to mess up/break them is to put your weight on the step before it's fully extended and the motor off. Ouch!

As an aside someone posted that the step motor is the window motor out of a 1996 Ford Tarus, drivers side...take that for what it's worth.
2008 Gulf Stream 8327 Fred, 300hp Cummins, Allison MH1000, Freightliner, 24k lbs chassis
2004 Ford Ranger 4x4 5spd, 4k lbs, flat towed
alilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
thanks for the info,
I replaced the control board with a brand new one,when i disconnected the the motor the steps swing free so i lubercated them and the gears.there is no apparent damage to the gears or unit.i am just stumped.like i said it works fine on bench testing and even when i reinstall it back on the MH.problem is it will only work for about 10 times then it will not retract until i disconnect the motor from the gear assembly and reattach.then it will work again for 10 more times.
km17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Test 1: Does the step light "Follow the door" that is come on when door open, go off when door closed? If so then fuses, switches and power to the controller is good, Good chance the controller itself is good.. NOTE this test requires no tools or meters.

IF the lamp does not come on it might be a Burned out bulb so you need additional testing.

(I see you said it does come on however so I'm including that line for others who might need this answered)

IF all the above are working.. Then take a hammer and crawl under the coach, Keeping clear of the path the steps will take and using the HANDLE of the hammer "Tunk" the motor a few times. You do not want to break it, Just shake it up a bit.

Then get out from under and open the door.

Oh, yes, make sure the door control switch is properly positioned.

For older "Squarish" controllers the switch needs to be ON

For newer "Triangular like" (Really trapizoid) controllers, it needs to be OFF.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote