Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Door will not open

Has anyone ever got locked in or locked out of their coach? That happened to us this morning. Electronic door lock would not release. I was outside, wife was inside. Keys would not unlock the door either. Took about 15 minutes of trying everything before it would release. Any guess as to why this happened?

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your wife did not want you in the coach
Old 07-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #3

Yes! It was a rod inside the locking mechanism that wasn't engaging. We both got locked out lar at night. Went in through a window.
Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
on my allegro bus the handle that releases the door catch pulled past the release and the next time I shut the door it would not open it. I do not use the lock on the handle just the deadbolt so I know it was not locked. I called tiffin and they told me the easiest way to brake into my coach. Before I did that I checked the windows and found I had forgot to lock the drivers side window so I crawled in there. The door opened ok from the inside and I took the handle apart to fix it. The problem was self generated, If I did not remember locking the dead bolt I would pull on the door latch to check and at some point I pulled too hard. The latch went back together ok and I bent the strike mechanism down a bit where it could not come out as easily. I also do not try to open the door unless I am sure it is unlocked.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

Kid threw the lock when she went out by mistake. Luckily a side window was unlocked and we have never locked the window again. The key in the handle stopped working due to the mechanism getting stiff. Had to open up the door to lubricate it.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #6

My wife and I had just arrived at our RV site during a heavy rain. We waited on the rain and when it stopped we were locked in. Weird feeling but with help from other campers and exiting out of the emergency window we got the door open 2 hrs later. The internal lock bar broke and the bar was jammed into the door frame. This is not an electronic lock but replaced it with a more robust lock.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
Ridinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately; driver doors are becoming a rare item. I doubt my next MH will have one, handy item in cases like this. Entry door failures are fairly common on here, new or old.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Unfortunately; driver doors are becoming a rare item. I doubt my next MH will have one, handy item in cases like this. Entry door failures are fairly common on here, new or old.

Amen! I have the drivers door and it came in handy when the other door wouldn't open. The problem was the round pin that sticks out from the door frame (I'm sure there is a technical name for this but I don't know it) had come loose. It's the part that the door latches onto. Opened fine from inside. Took a ratchet and tightened it back down. Now I check it ever so often to prevent a repeat.

Sure glad I have a drivers door.

Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's scary. I would hate to get trapped in or out!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The problem appears to be the door latch post. The one on top needs adjusted on the door frame. When I push in on the top of the door and then pull the handle the door opened. I think once that I get it adjusted and a little white grease we should be good. So glad we did not have to go in thru a window or drill out the lock.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #11

Sticky Door

Tom,

Our 04 Monaco Windsor occasionally has door problems and wont open. I have a solution that seems to do the trick. If inside, pull the door in while operating the door handle. If outside, push the door in while operating the handle. Always works. But can be a little freaky the first few times you cant get in or out.

I have done everything including taking the door completely apart and lubricating all the latches. I recently had the professionals take a shot at it and they adjusted the locking pegs you are describing. The problem still persists occasionally.

Good luck.

Bill
mrbodywork is offline   Reply With Quote