Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Double check my tire inflation numbers please :-)

Ok, have had tires inflated per the sticker inside, 120psi front and 95psi rear duals.

Finally did a 4 corner weigh.

LF. 5620. RF. 5660
LR. 9920. RR. 9900

Seems I am overinflated. What should my Michelin XZA2 295/80 22.5 inflation be.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

Just want someone to dbl check me before I recallibrate my tpms and all.

Thanks chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I calculate
80 lbs front
80 lbs rear duals.

The numbers on the sticker are often the maximums, not adjusted for weight.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Chris,

I would probably go 85-90 all the way around. The numbers on the table is the minimum pressure required to carry that weight. There is no issue with going a little higher pressure while under inflation is dangerous and destructive.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #4

If you run 5 psi over the minimum at a 60* morning temp, you will have an acceptable morning cold starting pressure for almost any temp from 30 up to 80* and most altitude changes. I do that and I can travel from WI to AZ via Colorado and Utah with all the temp and altitude changes and the cold morning start pressures are always above the minimum and below the max.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #5

I never run my tires at the minimum required and would never run them at Michelin's lowest rated tire pressure. I will sacrifice ride for safety. I run my pressures 10-15 psi over minimum and can't feel the difference in ride.

Use a calibrated pressure gauge and go with 95 psi on the steer and 90 psi on the drive assuming your weights were fully loaded. Your front weight is the max at 80psi, so even another front seat passenger pushes you over 80psi. You might be surprised how far off some gauges can be.

BTW, at your weights I'm surprised you don't have 275s. Have your tires been upgraded. Does the manufacturer's decal show dry weights and loaded weights?
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #6

Thanks guys.

Ya, these are original tire sizes. I do have unloaded, loaded and max weight on stickers. Just surprised how much below capacity I am on steer axle, rear axle about maxed out.

I am on a trip and will wait to adjust steer axle pressure until I am home. Last time I tried to adjust a schrader valve stuck open.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The largely-accepted formula from an experienced tire person on the Tiffin Network forum is to add 5% to the scale weight, then add 5psi to what the chart says. Provides a bit of a safety factor rather than to risk under-inflation.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I calculate
80 lbs front
80 lbs rear duals.

The numbers on the sticker are often the maximums, not adjusted for weight.

I agree. If it were my coach, I'd be running 85 front and rear assuming that the weights were full tanks and loaded for travel.

Fred
Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #9

Keep in mind the RMA states over 90% of ALL tire failures are the result of underinflation/overloading. What is a good way to reduce your odds of a tire failure_ never risk running them underinflated/overloaded. The mfgrs recommendation for tire pressure will account for driving a max'd out coach weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #10

I would say 85 all the way around.
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
I hope all this 'fine tuning' of tire pressure recommendation is taking into account some other important factors. Tires can lose 1-4 psi each month due to air molecules traveling through the rubber of the tire. (Thin walled bicycle tires can lose 5 psi a day!) Tires never GAIN air, only lose it. Also, on a 70º day, a rolling tire can increase pressure due to heat by 10-15 psi. The recommended numbers by tire manufacturers is the minimum psi to safely carry the maximum load. Most (over 75%) tire failure is due to under inflation. Under inflated tires wear faster (on the outside edges) and reduce fuel mileage.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote