Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Down road space heater

I've got a question regarding using a space heater strictly while going the road. I've got a 160 amp alt and the space heater pulls 1400 watts per digital readout on my power bright 2300 inverter. My 2 house batteries are dura last deep cycle marine 12 volts that have 105 ah a peice. I ran the heater no problems but cut it off when I thought I could be damaging my alternator. I'm currently en route to Baton Rouge from nashville and mr buddy is doing ok job. I know not to run without motor running so just wondering when me and the guys are going down road. Furnace is coughing black soot on the exhaust and I have not found the problem yet. (Hence me buddy/ electric heater) thx in advance.

Damon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
I remember one couple wrote in that they would hang a blanket just behind the front seats to keep the warm air in the front. You might see if this is possible and would help in your rig.

Traveling America In
"God's Grace"
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My concern with space heaters is the outlets in a motor home use a method of connection that tends to overheat when you plug in a space heater... I have other concerns in your case but basically I found it neessary to install some improved outlets in my House. some others have reported issues as well.. I really do not like the aroma of overheated wires.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
M&C +1to the blanket. We use 2 blanket with a rope from side to side. That creates a slit in the middle for the DW to retrieve cold drinks and snacks as we drive down the road.
2 of us + 1 rescue, Sadie (not sure who rescued who)
Toad: 11' 2dr Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Fit Sport
11' Bay Star 3302,11' Alpine 3555RL 40' 5er
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Heater Outlet

We don't use it while on the road, but as to outlets.... I use a 12 gauge extension cord plugged into the microwave outlet. That puts the heater on its own circuit and breaker.
Chuck in Houston
2015 Allegro 32CA
2014 Honda CR-V
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
My solution is to stay as far away from cold as possible. But it still caught up to us here in Foley, AL. I couldn't figure out why my furnace wasn't working. Then I remembered I had turned off the propane almost 2yrs. ago since we don't use the stuff anymore, and hadn't been anywhere it was cold. We leave next week for south Florida.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Calliedo02 View Post
We don't use it while on the road, but as to outlets.... I use a 12 gauge extension cord plugged into the microwave outlet. That puts the heater on its own circuit and breaker.
That is not always for sure the case. In my case it is but in other coaches might not be. My microwave is plugged into one leg of my iverter output by itself. ( as per the original wiring digram) The 2500 watt inverter in my coach has two separate 120 volt inputs and two outputs. On a 2000 watt freedom inverter it only has one 120 volt input and two outputs so they might have the microwave on one breaker with everything else.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #8
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your furnace is spitting black its because its dirty and the air/fuel mixture is off.

As far as heating your rig going down the road, your dash heat should be more than adequate, just crack open a window or ceiling vent in the rear to draw the warmth through the rig as you go down the road.

Our dash heat/air will cook or freeze you out so we typically don't use it other than minimally to keep us comfortable.
2004 HR Ambassador 38PDQ
ImagesByHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You probably aren't hurting your alternator at all. If the inverter isn't at full watts there should be no issue with using your heater.
2015, HR Ambassador 38DBT / 2006 Jeep TJ Towd
340 Cummins / Freightliner Chassis
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Here are some thoughts....we have used the cab divider in hot weather to keep the front of the coach cooler while driving, but have never hit cold enough weather out west where our dash heat wasn't sufficient. For our divider, we bought a spring loaded shower rod and hung a clear plastic shower curtain. You could still see to the rear and it has a split in the center.

If you're trying to heat more of the coach than just the cab area, I could see the dash heat would probably not do the trick in cold weather.

I'm not a fan of running such a high wattage unit as a space heater while driving. To some degree, it will affect your mileage because the alternator will be working overtime. It will also prematurely wear out your alternator if you do it frequently.

Lastly, I would NEVER run a Buddy Heat while driving unless you have good circulation of fresh air which kind of defeats the purchase. Even though the Buddy Heat has sensors, any failure could start giving you headaches or put you to sleep while driving.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote