Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #1

Downhill Shifting

Still trying to learn how to properly/safely get down hill with minimum breaking driving a 98' HRE 37' DP/dolly w/toad/275 Cummins/Allison 6 speed/exhaust break. I like to go slowwwwww downhill but find myself using the breaks to much to keep the rpm's under 2800 and if I give it some gas to keep the rpm's under I start picking up speed. A lot of the videos talk about manually down shifting but then my rpm's start climbing. So if some of you more experienced drivers can give me some tips on how to stay slow with minimum breaking while keeping the rpm's down that would be great. We are full timing so there's going to be more mountain driving coming up and I need to do it a lot safer for ourselves and all the others on the road.
Thanks in advance for all responses,
Jim & Diane
98' HRE 37'
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

Ok, you say you are going slow. But the EB won't hold your speed. What do you need to do? Stand on that foot valve! Get speed down! Drop a gear. If the RPM starts to climb, repeat. If you are on the brakes more than about 10% of the time, you are going to fast.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Ok, you say you are going slow. But the EB won't hold your speed. What do you need to do? Stand on that foot valve! Get speed down! Drop a gear. If the RPM starts to climb, repeat. If you are on the brakes more than about 10% of the time, you are going to fast.
That's how to do it!
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Are you sure your Exhaust Brake is working?
If you are starting off slow and have exhaust brake on and downshifted. You should be getting some braking. Assuming that your not towing an over weight load without brakes.
What type of % grade?
What speed are you at when starting out downhill?
What gear are you in starting out?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Just some food for thought, but the PO of the coach I bought had the EB replaced because it had rusted completely through and was not doing its job. I mentioned it to my mechanic and he said it happens on older coaches like mine. Might be worth checking.
rbradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #6

Go down hill in the same gear you went up. If the unit downshifts to 3 or 2, put it there manually and go down. EB will help - use brakes ONLY if required.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Per Camp Freightliner, brakes on hard for 3 seconds, then off for 5 seconds to allow them to cool. Do not ride them!

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD, 2015 Equinox
Loc: Mich
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Y View Post
Per Camp Freightliner, brakes on hard for 3 seconds, then off for 5 seconds to allow them to cool. Do not ride them!

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD, 2015 Equinox
Loc: Mich
Freightliner must use special brakes on RVs to get 60% duty cycle.
Using service, Jake, or exhaust brake, it takes more brake to keep speed between 20 and 30 than to keep it 10 to 20...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I
Quote:
like to go slowwwwww downhill but find myself using the breaks to much to keep the rpm's under 2800

You don't need to manage RPMs - the engine & tranny ECm will handle that fine. It will upshift by itself if it gets too high. Just manage the speed and let the ECM handle the gearing

If you come over the crest of the hill at your desired downhill speed, you should be able to maintain that speed using the Freightliner method cited above. Brake firmly for a few seconds, then back off for several. You don't need to time it - just a simple pattern of firm brake and no-brake, whatever it takes to hold your speed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #10

Your Cummins ISB, 275 HP engine is designed to safely operate at 2,600 RPM, delivering 660 lb/ft of torque. That is different than when your have the exhaust brake engaged and the engine is not under power, during this period the engine can safely exceed 2,600 RPM's, in fact higher RPM's improve exhaust braking effect.
The Allison TCM and Cummins ECM "talk" to each other during operation to prevent damage to either from overspeeding the engine.
When the engine RPM's exceed Cummins safe limits the transmission will upshift by itself to reduce engine RPM's to a safe level again. This is where the driver must pay close attention, for now the service brakes are the last effect against increasing downhill speed to an unsafe level until the driver can drop enough speed for the transmission to downshift again and provide more speed retard.
I hope that makes sense and sounds logical.

Gary and I were typing at the same time, sorry for the redundancy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Your Cummins ISB, 275 HP engine is designed to safely operate at 2,600 RPM, delivering 660 lb/ft of torque. That is different than when your have the exhaust brake engaged and the engine is not under power, during this period the engine can safely exceed 2,600 RPM's, in fact higher RPM's improve exhaust braking effect.
The Allison TCM and Cummins ECM "talk" to each other during operation to prevent damage to either from overspeeding the engine.
When the engine RPM's exceed Cummins safe limits the transmission will upshift by itself to reduce engine RPM's to a safe level again. This is where the driver must pay close attention, for now the service brakes are the last effect against increasing downhill speed to an unsafe level until the driver can drop enough speed for the transmission to downshift again and provide more speed retard.
I hope that makes sense and sounds logical.

Gary and I were typing at the same time, sorry for the redundancy.
I have the same engine, tranny and close to the same size as the OP. I didn't have any issues in the passes in CO hauling a 22' trailer with a load right around 5Klbs. using the gear and jake. sounds like the jake brake or something isn't right
Old 09-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #12

What gear do you climb up hill in? That should be same gear or one lower going back down the other side. That is an old rule of thumb for trucks in the day. Now you go down the hill in maybe 1-2 lower gears as motors are much more powerful than old days.

Engine should be doing most of the breaking. As said maybe not in a lower enough gear. If not slow down and drop another gear. When under 35 mph put your flashers on to warn people you are slow moving.

Maybe exhaust brake is rusted again worth taking a look at. Tell us gears going up and down and we can see how it compares.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #13

There are a few really good responses in this thread. And to restate what has been said:

Get the Jake Brake checked out. On my last 1997 Discovery coach I found the Jake Brake was frozen in the open position.

Unless the Allison Transmission has had its programming altered, if the Engine Brake is activated, the program will automatically select the best gear for conditions, without any operator input at all. Going down hill, the transmission will select the best gear for the exhaust brake to work at maximum efficiency.

BUT, as Ray,In indicated
Quote:
When the engine RPM's exceed Cummins safe limits the transmission will upshift by itself to reduce engine RPM's to a safe level again. This is where the driver must pay close attention,...
an operator must be very aware of this. If the coach is picking up speed and the transmission upshifts to protect the engine, the coach could actually increase speed down hill unless you use the service brakes properly.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Nobody said it yet, but is your dolly and toad braking for themselves? If not, you have 4000 pound pushing instead of pulling, and that's a big problem. I rigged a simple test of my exhaust brake. I could not convince my wife to go back in the bedroom as we are going downhill, crawl over the bed and open the engine cover to look at the exhaust brake valve to see is it had closed upon activation. "Oh, it's too hot and messy?" (whatever) So, with a piece of fence wire and a piece of thread, I rigged a telltale. The fence wire is attached to the exbrake valve and is about 12" long to dissipate heat, with a loop in its free end. I tied the thread to that loop and secured the other end of the thread to the bulkhead. The I went for a drive without the grumpy wife, and used the exbrake. Sure enough, it pulled on the thread and broke it, proving the valve is moving. I feel a lot of braking from my exbrake, but I could not tell how much came from the exbrake and how much came from the automatic downshift that occurs at the same time, therefore, could not tell if the exbrake valve was moving. This telltale proved the valve is moving.

And yes, it's spelled brake, not break.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote