Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #71

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
He needs to quit for the reason that you don't agree with his technique of descending down a grade, or, mine for that matter? I feel you should sell your Coach for the reason that you do not know the correct way and you could kill someone, get down the hill what ever way you are comfortable with.....geeeeze!
I 'think' what he's getting at is with a properly operating compressor, your not going to run yourself low on air, using 'proper' snub braking tecnique.
On a 8% downgrade, I'm using my service brakes to reduce my speed 5-8mph, about every 30 seconds.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lots of good info and some confusion. So let me ask I have a 06 revolution le, if you have one what do you do. Kind of like a step by srep.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I 'think' what he's getting at is with a properly operating compressor, you are not going to run yourself low on air, .
96 Wideglide
My thought exactly
Old 02-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I 'think' what he's getting at is with a properly operating compressor, your not going to run yourself low on air, using 'proper' snub braking technique.

On a 8% downgrade, I'm using my service brakes to reduce my speed 5-8 mph, about every 30 seconds.
If someone has a improperly operating air compressor on their rig they should NOT be on the road in the first place.

Checking the operation of the engine air compressor and brakes is part of the pre-flight check but I will guarantee you that 99% of the people who have RV rigs with air brakes ignore these tests.

See procedure below.

1. Start engine and release Spring Brakes
2. Ensure pressure is within normal operating range
3. Stop engine
4. Apply and hold the coach brake for one minute & observe the initial pressure drop.
5. Hold for one minute and if further air loss exceeds 3 PSI - seek
professional service for the brake system.

In addition, with vehicle @ idle / 600 - 900 RPM and with air pressure below 80 PSI - Start timing when air pressure reaches 85 PSI. Stop timing when pressure reaches 100 PSI. If that time interval exceeds 2 minutes, seek professional service for the brake system.

I have also attached a PDF explaining a series of tests that should be be performed on your air brake system.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Brake System Test.pdf (237.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #75

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Checking the operation of the engine air compressor and brakes is part of the pre-flight check but I will guarantee you that 99% of the people who have RV rigs with air brakes ignore these tests.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Well, I guess I am a 1%er then. Just not patched !

I'm Canadian, had to take 16hrs training to get my air brake endorsement.
Do all of the checks before each trip.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well, I guess I am a 1%er then. Just not patched !

I'm Canadian, had to take 16hrs training to get my air brake endorsement.
Do all of the checks before each trip.
^^^
Same here, highly recommend every DP driver to get the training.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
It's great that the op has asked this question. However it re-enforces my belief that before anyone, with a few exceptions, can legally drive a complex diesel motor home, should be required to take a driving course along with an educational class to learn the safe way to drive and maintain one. When I was younger, I had to pass an exam to drive a school bus. Then I had to get a CDL license to drive our semi and crane trucks, I also had to get an endorsement to ride a motorcycle. Yet, a person who may have never driven anything heavier than a pickup truck can walk in and buy a complex 30 to 40,000# diesel pusher and drive off into the sunset with little or no experience of how to deal with many different potentially dangerous situations that can happen to any of us.

Tell me where I'm wrong.
I couldn't agree more!
Those that take the time to get some training
will see the benefit of it.
To people like the original poster that is the place to get the best info.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #78
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would love to see some training made mandatory, but the BIG issue is getting the government involved in any more testing or regulations. I'm not a conspiracy theory guy or hater of big brother, but ANY involvement will lead to a ton of bureaucracy and fees.

Just remember, if testing becomes required and they incorporate any kind of medical test, you could eliminate 25% or better of the RVing public. I understand you/we don't want anyone passing out or dying behind the wheel, but the medical testing is typically for those driving full time and commercially. It wouldn't be a far stretch for bureaucrats to adopt commercial rules without looking at the limited driving by RVers.

Before you start asking for testing, take a look at your own physical condition and what your condition might be like ten years from now, during the years that you still expect to be RVing.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #79
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I would love to see some training made mandatory, but the BIG issue is getting the government involved in any more testing or regulations. I'm not a conspiracy theory guy or hater of big brother, but ANY involvement will lead to a ton of bureaucracy and fees.

Just remember, if testing becomes required and they incorporate any kind of medical test, you could eliminate 25% or better of the RVing public. I understand you/we don't want anyone passing out or dying behind the wheel, but the medical testing is typically for those driving full time and commercially. It wouldn't be a far stretch for bureaucrats to adopt commercial rules without looking at the limited driving by RVers.

Before you start asking for testing, take a look at your own physical condition and what your condition might be like ten years from now, during the years that you still expect to be RVing.

Good advice Don!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I used the exhaust brake as much as possible. When I engage it the transmission will go to 4th gear if the speed isn't too high. If I start building speed I will pulse the service brakes to slow down. I avoid riding the brakes as they can overheat and the shoes can glaze over.
New technology brake materials really don't need pumping, disc brakes don't need pumping tho you don't want to ride any brakes for an extended time, and DO NOT PUMP AIR BRAKES, doing so depletes your air. Regardless of your brake type, use your exhaust brake to the max extent possible, allowing the tranny to downshift. If the hill is so great that your engine begins to overspeed, apply the foot brake smoothly and firmly to decelerate well below your desired speed in one long application, and select a lower gear when able. Release your foot brake and make sure your new lower gear is holding your speed. Do not pump your brakes.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

I see your point Don about over regulating. The hard reality is if there are guidelines for medical to be met and I don't meet them I shouldn't be on the road. Lots of others would say this is not fair. If you need a special licence for a motorcycle then having one for a Diesel pusher with air brakes is a no brainer. They could draw the line at coaches with air brakes and it wouldn't effect all the gasser coaches at all.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I rode motorcycles long before I was illegible for a licence. even after illegible I road and raced all kinds of motorcycles. It was only when I moved to NY state that I needed one.
IMHO other drivers are the problem for MC. As for the MH - my wife drives very well and over any roadway in any traffic. She has no idea how anything works under the floorboards and still is an excellent operator with great sense of safety and caution.

millions of folks drive vehicles of all sorts but have no clue how it works.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I rode motorcycles long before I was illegible for a licence. even after illegible I road and raced all kinds of motorcycles. It was only when I moved to NY state that I needed one.
IMHO other drivers are the problem for MC. As for the MH - my wife drives very well and over any roadway in any traffic. She has no idea how anything works under the floorboards and still is an excellent operator with great sense of safety and caution.
millions of folks drive vehicles of all sorts but have no clue how it works.
ladagobago
What does "illegible" have to do with RVs...(or with riding a motorcycle)?
Wondering
Old 02-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
ladagobago
What does "illegible" have to do with RVs...(or with riding a motorcycle)?
Wondering
I believe it is a typo for eligible for a license (by age, I suspect.)

And the point, with which I agree, is we learn to stop all sorts of vehicles - beginning with a tricycle, a scooter with foot brake, a bicycle with coaster brakes, then 2 hand brakes, then a minibike with a foot brake, a motorcycle with one hand brake and a foot brake, a car with a foot pedal, a motor home with a foot pedal, etc. It's all about stopping something without making a Federal Case out of it.

Most of us learn how drive (and stop) perfectly well long before any state collects a single cent to confirm we can.

I'm sure it's a flaming offense to say this, but I have 2 gauges to tell me my air tanks are primed, a buzzer, a beeper if they don't disengage, etc etc. Far more safety built in than any other motorized vehicle on the road. If you lose air, look out cause you're going to stop. Lose brakes with anything else, look out cause you're not going to stop until the immovable object.

I respect a lot of what has been said and who has said it, but some make this air brake thing sound like brain surgery. It's not. Go to an empty parking lot and test them out at various speeds. Pump em down. Observe. Drive safely and defensively, and have the system checked annually.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake