Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post

FYI, the single stage engine brake has the same amount of hold back power as the three stage....think!

I have never seen a Single Stage ENGINE Brake. The only Single Stage On/Off auxiliary brakes I've seen in motor homes are exhaust brakes.

So I guess my THINKING is right on the mark.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I have never seen a Single Stage ENGINE Brake. The only Single Stage On/Off auxiliary brakes I've seen in motor homes are exhaust brakes.

So I guess my THINKING is right on the mark.
The first jakes that came out were single meaning all 1/2/3 on-off...not 1,2 or all three..

Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I 'think' what he's getting at is with a properly operating compressor, your not going to run yourself low on air, using 'proper' snub braking tecnique.
On a 8% downgrade, I'm using my service brakes to reduce my speed 5-8mph, about every 30 seconds.
Stabbing will eat up air, steady light pressure will not, once you have the brakes applied and the brake chambers are "full" with the amount needed your NOT using any more from the reserve tank(s) as long as they are not leaking so burning up air is not an issue....
Old 02-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I believe it is a typo for eligible for a license (by age, I suspect.)

And the point, with which I agree, is we learn to stop all sorts of vehicles - beginning with a tricycle, a scooter with foot brake, a bicycle with coaster brakes, then 2 hand brakes, then a minibike with a foot brake, a motorcycle with one hand brake and a foot brake, a car with a foot pedal, a motor home with a foot pedal, etc. It's all about stopping something without making a Federal Case out of it.

Most of us learn how drive (and stop) perfectly well long before any state collects a single cent to confirm we can.

I'm sure it's a flaming offense to say this, but I have 2 gauges to tell me my air tanks are primed, a buzzer, a beeper if they don't disengage, etc etc. Far more safety built in than any other motorized vehicle on the road. If you lose air, look out cause you're going to stop. Lose brakes with anything else, look out cause you're not going to stop until the immovable object.

I respect a lot of what has been said and who has said it, but some make this air brake thing sound like brain surgery. It's not. Go to an empty parking lot and test them out at various speeds. Pump em down. Observe. Drive safely and defensively, and have the system checked annually.
My point Steve is there are people that can figure these things out and there are those that can't. A far better place to get proper advice on how to use these things would be a bit of training rather than someone telling you I think it works this way.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
My point Steve is there are people that can figure these things out and there are those that can't. A far better place to get proper advice on how to use these things would be a bit of training rather than someone telling you I think it works this way.
I hear ya Dennis. Getting behind the wheel is a big responsibility - any wheel, and most assuredly an RV.

I remember how proud I was to graduate from Air Force Air Traffic Control School. First day on the job... forget every thing you learned in school.

I think an experienced driver sitting beside you for a while is a good idea; how long will depend on the individual. Once in the saddle you take the reins and ride. And there is no better teacher than experience.

For instance. I didn't know if my switch labeled "Retarder" dropped to 2 or 4 until I flipped it on. It's 4 and more than sufficient. I learned that within the first 3 miles of test drive in Albuquerque on I-40.

BTW - I think it was 86 here today.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #90

Thor Owners Club
Dr4film,
Many, many thanks for the brake system check sheet, I printed and laminated it. It goes in my starting/prep check-list.
Ernie
FMCA #F456868
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Steve, I manually adjusted the auto slacks on my Kenworth today. It was 10 deg. celcius and raining. Sorry for off topic, but the 86 deg. swayed me.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #92

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Hey Steve, I manually adjusted the auto slacks on my Kenworth today. It was 10 deg. celcius and raining. Sorry for off topic, but the 86 deg. swayed me.
How many times did you step on the brake.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake