Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
FYI, the single stage engine brake has the same amount of hold back power as the three stage....think!

No it doesn't. Not even close.

A single stage exhaust brake does not have anywhere near the braking power of a Jake Brake (compression brake.) I have a 2-stage Jake on the ISL in my coach and I never have to use the service brakes on interstate grades. On a 6% grade I often have to switch back and forth between LOW and HIGH because in the high position it slows me down too much.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
FYI, the single stage engine brake has the same amount of hold back power as the three stage....think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

A single stage exhaust brake does not have anywhere near the braking power of a Jake Brake (compression brake.) I have a 2-stage Jake on the ISL in my coach and I never have to use the service brakes on interstate grades. On a 6% grade I often have to switch back and forth between LOW and HIGH because in the high position it slows me down too much.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #59

It's great that the op has asked this question. However it re-enforces my belief that before anyone, with a few exceptions, can legally drive a complex diesel motor home, should be required to take a driving course along with an educational class to learn the safe way to drive and maintain one. When I was younger, I had to pass an exam to drive a school bus. Then I had to get a CDL license to drive our semi and crane trucks, I also had to get an endorsement to ride a motorcycle. Yet, a person who may have never driven anything heavier than a pickup truck can walk in and buy a complex 30 to 40,000# diesel pusher and drive off into the sunset with little or no experience of how to deal with many different potentially dangerous situations that can happen to any of us.

Tell me where I'm wrong.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
It's great that the op has asked this question. However it re-enforces my belief that before anyone, with a few exceptions, can legally drive a complex diesel motor home, should be required to take a driving course along with an educational class to learn the safe way to drive and maintain one. When I was younger, I had to pass an exam to drive a school bus. Then I had to get a CDL license to drive our semi and crane trucks, I also had to get an endorsement to ride a motorcycle. Yet, a person who may have never driven anything heavier than a pickup truck can walk in and buy a complex 30 to 40,000# diesel pusher and drive off into the sunset with little or no experience of how to deal with many different potentially dangerous situations that can happen to any of us.

Tell me where I'm wrong.
No-one can challenge that opinion.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:26 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You know I can't challenge that and have always said the same thing. But I'm wondering why we don't hear of more accidents and have more issues with the high cost of insurance as we get older...
Old 02-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2938867
DMTTRANSPORT
You are correct.

When a "3 stage compression release engine brake", (frequently called a "Jake brake" or "Jacobs brake"), is set to "3" it has the SAME amount of hold back power as a "single stage compression release engine brake".

However when set to "2" a 3 stage has LESS hold back power than a single stage... (even less when set to "1").

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
DMTTRANSPORT
You are correct.

When a "3 stage compression release engine brake", (frequently called a "Jake brake" or "Jacobs brake"), is set to "3" it has the SAME amount of hold back power as a "single stage compression release engine brake".

However when set to "2" a 3 stage has LESS hold back power than a single stage... (even less when set to "1").

Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks Mel, I gave him the chance to THINK, but......
Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #64

Quote:

Sorry, a single stage engine brake offers "on-off" which means you cannot select 2 cylinders, 4 cylinders or all 6, it offers all 6 only, yours offers 3 cylinders or 6 cylinders, single stage is the same as yours with out the de rate of other cylinders.....
Old 02-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #65

Quote:

He is correct 100%. He clearly wrote "engine brake" and it is true that the maximum braking for a single stage is the same as the maximum from a three-stage
Old 02-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
He is correct 100%. He clearly wrote "engine brake" and it is true that the maximum braking for a single stage is the same as the maximum from a three-stage

LOL, yes he is correct if the Engine brake is not operating correctly and the only available jake is the 2 cylinders on the 1st/single stage (3 stage) or 3 cylinders on a (2 stage), I stand corrected.

The reality of the issue is stated above though.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #67

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
Here is some really good info as to how to handle mountain driving:

https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/motor...-the-work.html
Interesting, but not a method I want to use. I'm not going to let my rpm's get so high the tranny upshifts to protect the engine, over, and over, and over!!
Old 02-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBH View Post
I am surprised in this discussion that there are several references to risks of overheating of the brakes but no mention of running low on air supply by frequent applications of the brakes.

When I took the air brakes course, the instructor stressed holding a steady pressure on the brakes (as DMTTRANSPORT mentioned) as opposed to frequent short brake applications to control the speed, since each application and release eats up air supply. He maintained that the brakes will not overheat if a steady pressure is used to keep the speed under control.

I think paying attention to one's air supply should also be mentioned in this discussion.

The instructor at your air brakes course in dangerous. He needs to quit!!!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
The instructor at your air brakes course in dangerous. He needs to quit!!!
He needs to quit for the reason that you don't agree with his technique of descending down a grade, or, mine for that matter? I feel you should sell your Coach for the reason that you do not know the correct way and you could kill someone, get down the hill what ever way you are comfortable with.....geeeeze!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #70

The danger here is taking our mostly anecdotal knowledge and re-distributing it as some type of fact. Internet experts can get you killed. It's also apparent the concept of exhaust brakes as compared to engine brakes is not totally grasped here on iRV2

OTOH:

The first-hand experience of our long term pusher drivers and our members who have commercial driving and mechanical experience
is invaluable to us. We CAN learn from them.

Approach all downhill stretches carefully😐😐😐

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake