Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Downshifting a gas coach

Still relatively new at driving our class a gas coach. We are planning a trip through Pennsylvania and ending up in Asheville, NC. Been doing a lot of reading about driving up and down big slopes in a big motor home. They all say to make sure you shift the gears and not to ride your brakes. I understand that, but how do you down shift an automatic that only has D, 2 and 1? Do I just shift into 2 and then 1? I know this must sound a little " green" or novice, but rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't have to downshift if you use Tow/Haul mode. When using Tow/Haul you will notice that the engine assists braking and it will help control your speed down a hill.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, downshift from D to 2 and to 1 as needed. HOWEVER, be aware that when you downshift, its like a manual transmission and you could over rev the engine.

On uphill, I usually downshift when the transmission is constantly doing upshift/downshift (Its probably more wear and tear on my nerves than wear and tear on the tranny) i.e. I'll downshift to 2nd, and hold the speed at 40-45 mph

On Downhill, if I find that I'm building up speed and need to hit the brakes a lot, I'll slow down, i.e. 40-45, then drop it down into second and let the engine do the braking.

Usually, I do what the 18 wheeler do as far as speed up or down hills. If they are climbing at 35 mph with the four ways flashing, I fall in line and do the same thing. Same downhill.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

I have a 32' FW Storm and have gone north from NJ to Canada and South to FL and Asheville and west to San Fran and back thru the Rockies and Cascades and Waiter21 is correct. Go from D to 2 and that usually will handle it. Watch the rpm's and you should be fine at about 45-50 MPH. The rule of thumb is you go down as fast as you go up. By downshifting as you crest the hill you will be fine. I always got behind the trucks in the far right lane and just took my time. I'm in no hurry. Have a great trip
Old 03-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Down shift at the top of the hill. Don't let the coach get away from you. If you have to brake, intermittent firm braking with time between event to allow the brakes to cool is better than constant soft braking.

Concerning engine RPM, I can only comment based on owning a Ford. The engine can handle high RPM so let it wind out if necessary. Don't be afraid of 5000 RPM but don't let if go much higher. Best to try and keep the RPMs in the 3500 to 4000 range if possible. Down shift, firm braking as necessary.

I40 west into Ashland has a long steep climb starting at around mile marker 72 climbing up to mile marker 67. Haven't been up if yet just down. Coach held steady at 55 MPH on the decent and never touched the brakes but I started out at the top already in a lower gear as I passed the mandatory truck safety stop.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #6

I 2nd the tow haul option. Use it, it works well
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas