Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
My '06 Diplomat also has several noise makers.

Someone mentioned a 'Smart Chime'; a small black box with
a multi-pin connector.

I have opened the dash from both above and below and so far
not been able to locate this device. Any ideas how to find it?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
The alarm annoyed my father so much in his DP that he installed a switch on the dash that turns the alarm off. But, he sits in the drivers seat and watches all the gauges etc and once the air gauges come up high enough, he flips the switch back so that the alarm is energized if the air goes low.

Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I found my alarm under the dash and put a piece of duct tape on it. It is now quieter but still can be heard. Cheap easy fix!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Just to add a little to what Chris said. When your air pressure drops below 60-70 psi your low air warning device(s) will be activated. The idea is to give you time to react and get stopped safely before the air pressure drops below 30-35 pounds when the Spring (Parking/Emergency) Brakes will be automatically applied.

FWIW, If you are losing that much air pressure overnight that indicates that you have an air leak. I think I'd be more concerned about getting the air leak repaired than disconnecting the audible low air warning device. You shouldn't be losing that much air overnight. Maybe over the course of sitting for a week or two, but not over night.
I agree, mine can sit for months and the suspension is still up. Even if I drain the suspension all the way my alarm won't sound. And yes it does work when I test it using the service brakes.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How serious could a leak like this be? Is it safe to drive until I can get it checked out?
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #20

Sorry to say this but looking at some of the answers coming back there needs to be some air brake education before you start tampering with the air brake system. The devices installed are for your and other peoples safety and you should understand the system before you drive a unit with air brakes.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
zzjea: Here is an air brake test that should be done prior to each trip. CDL requires it is done daily.

It tests the system, pressure and emergency brake. The tests where it has to hold pressure will determine how serious the leaks are. Motorhome air brake system testing

If you are loosing that much air you should be able to hear the leak with everything shut down.
Do not work on the system or lines with pressure in the tanks.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
How serious could a leak like this be? Is it safe to drive until I can get it checked out?
How much pressure loss are you actually seeing? Over what time period? Unless you're loosing all your pressure in under an hour, I don't think it's actually unsafe. The compressor can keep up with a small leak easily. And you'll know it can't because your pressure gauge is running low all the time.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Legally, you cannot run with an air leak. If per some strange chance you were stopped by a DOT officer, and all Arizona DPS are DOT trained, you would be red tagged and couldnt move until it was fixed.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
How much pressure loss are you actually seeing? Over what time period? Unless you're loosing all your pressure in under an hour, I don't think it's actually unsafe. The compressor can keep up with a small leak easily. And you'll know it can't because your pressure gauge is running low all the time.
The pressure is about 110psi on both gauges when running the engine for a while. It will stay there for a long time when the engine is off but will drop to about 60psi overnight. I will take it to a diesel shop as early next week as I can and have them check the air out and also belts and filters if needed. I will ask them if there is any way to muffle or change the warning alarm sound as it will still be a problem even on short bursts at start up.

Thanks

John
Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
The pressure is about 110psi on both gauges when running the engine for a while. It will stay there for a long time when the engine is off but will drop to about 60psi overnight. I will take it to a diesel shop as early next week as I can and have them check the air out and also belts and filters if needed. I will ask them if there is any way to muffle or change the warning alarm sound as it will still be a problem even on short bursts at start up.

Thanks

John
50 psi in what, 12 hours? I'm not sure they could even find that small a leak very easily. Mine drops almost that much, and it's not something I ever worried about.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
My dash air gauge has two needles.

Is there one for each air tank?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Craig. I don't think a leak is the problem. Probably dumped air prior to leveling...
It only dumps the airbags not the tanks. Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Checked out

I had it serviced by a diesel DOT certified shop and everything was ok to them except the tach. which they tried to find a replacement but could not. I needed to get the MH before the weekend so I will pursue a tach. on my own. They changed the oil etc. and did a full service check out including belts, hoses, brakes etc.

They said the air pressure fall over time was normal. If it was in a few hours that would be a problem. It does not have a dump valve or they could not find one.

I put a little tape over the under dash air pressure alarm and it is much quieter and will be ok. The dash air pressure lights still come on as they should and are readily visible.

Thanks

John