Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
DP CAT Onan Freightliner Services

I couldn't decide where to put this question since it involves several systems.

My first service for a 2005 Winnebago Journey w/ Freightliner, C7, Allison 3000MH, Onan 7500 Gen.

I may be using Speedco for C7, PM, and Onan. I will be waiting on the fluid analasys from JG Lubricat Services before doing anything on the Allison or C7 coolant.

Can I bring my own filters to Speedco?

What are your recommendations for fluid, filters, air cleaner, etc?

It looks like Speedco uses Shell Rotella, but the filters I have never heard of - Baldwin?

What about the Onan, Cummins/Onan brand, Shell Rotella?

I will be near a CAT dealer later this week and can get parts there.

Thanks for your help, this is way more stressful than I had imagined it would be when I got her.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

Speedco will also have CAT filters for an upcharge.

Baldwin makes an excellent series of filters and is very popular in the OTR truck world.

Ask CAT about the oil recommendation.

I use the same oil in the generator and the main engine....Shell Rotella T 15-40 which Speedco has on hand . This is for a Cummins C8.3 liter engine, so ask CAT if it meets their requirements.

Speedco will likely allow you to supply the filters, but you probably will spend less money overall having Speedco supply them.

You will find Speedco to be a "no stress" experience!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Dave, I really appreciate the help. Most of my stress is coming from the very long list from Freightliner with things such as axle lubricant changing and air dryer desiccant and coalescent replacement.

I may have to spend the big bucks at a Freightliner shop. I wish there was a guide on doing these things, if I can fix F16's and KC-135's I could probably pick this up but not without some instructions.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

Mike
When it comes to Cat motors use only Advanced Efficiency Filters(oil and fuel) and 5k mi max on oil changes because the HUIE pump likes clean oil.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Mike
When it comes to Cat motors use only Advanced Efficiency Filters(oil and fuel) and 5k mi max on oil changes because the HUIE pump likes clean oil.
2 stroker
Are those only from CAT or other companies?

I'm kind of shocked at the amount of service needed every 6 months and annually. For instance transmission fluid replacement every year. Most of which I don't see on the Speedco services list.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Are those only from CAT or other companies?

I'm kind of shocked at the amount of service needed every 6 months and annually. For instance transmission fluid replacement every year. Most of which I don't see on the Speedco services list.
This may help, Cat filters
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/Cat_C7_SvcTips.pdf
Order a sample kit here for your trans, pull a hot sample to find out if it needs to be changed
JG Lubricant Services, LLC
Get a set of filters by S/N on the side of your pan then enter at Search My Transmission to see if you have a 2" or 4" pan.
Allison Transmission Home
4" sump. The kit number is 29548988
2" sump. The kit number is 29545776
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Thank you Dave, I really appreciate the help. Most of my stress is coming from the very long list from Freightliner with things such as axle lubricant changing and air dryer desiccant and coalescent replacement.

I may have to spend the big bucks at a Freightliner shop. I wish there was a guide on doing these things, if I can fix F16's and KC-135's I could probably pick this up but not without some instructions.
If you can fix Fighting Falcons and tankers, your DP will be a walk in the park.

With oil and fuel filters, just stick to the CAT filters and you will not have an issue. As to changing engine oil every six months in your CAT, I have to defer to CAT experts. Cummins drain intervals are much longer.

Your dessicant filter for air is on a 2 year type of cycle. A simple job for any heavy truck shop.

While at Speedco, go ahead and have them change your rear differential fluid over to synthetic...this will be a ONE and DONE process.

Your Allison is likely filled with Transynd which has a very long drain interval. If not you can convert to Transynd or any other Allison Approved synthetic fluid.

Speedco will gladly service your ONAN (air filter, oil filter, fuel filter) and you are good to go on all for 150 hours (longer on the fuel filter but they change it every service). If your genny use is heavy (like mine), you will find that changing oil and the oil and air filter is a very simple process.

Also, Speedco at most locations will change your main engine air filter and will perform an engine oil analysis at all locations.

Enjoy your rig!!!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
This may help, Cat filters
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/Cat_C7_SvcTips.pdf
Order a sample kit here for your trans, pull a hot sample to find out if it needs to be changed
JG Lubricant Services, LLC
Get a set of filters by S/N on the side of your pan then enter at Search My Transmission to see if you have a 2" or 4" pan.
Allison Transmission Home
4" sump. The kit number is 29548988
2" sump. The kit number is 29545776
2 stroker
Thanks again, I have already ordered the advanced 3-pack for oil, two coolant kits and the two pumps. It should be at my nearby UPS Store Friday.

I'm probably going to take it to an Sacramento Truck Center for this service and then plan a self reliant approach for the future services. Though future services envolving large amounts of oil will have to be at a shop as I am full time and have no place to drop a pan or drain oils.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
If you can fix Fighting Falcons and tankers, your DP will be a walk in the park.

With oil and fuel filters, just stick to the CAT filters and you will not have an issue. As to changing engine oil every six months in your CAT, I have to defer to CAT experts. Cummins drain intervals are much longer.

Your dessicant filter for air is on a 2 year type of cycle. A simple job for any heavy truck shop.

While at Speedco, go ahead and have them change your rear differential fluid over to synthetic...this will be a ONE and DONE process.

Your Allison is likely filled with Transynd which has a very long drain interval. If not you can convert to Transynd or any other Allison Approved synthetic fluid.

Speedco will gladly service your ONAN (air filter, oil filter, fuel filter) and you are good to go on all for 150 hours (longer on the fuel filter but they change it every service). If your genny use is heavy (like mine), you will find that changing oil and the oil and air filter is a very simple process.

Also, Speedco at most locations will change your main engine air filter and will perform an engine oil analysis at all locations.

Enjoy your rig!!!!!
Your making me think twice about what I just said in my previous post about going to a Freightliner shop. It sounds like I can get a lot done at Speedco for the bucks.

Tags
cat, freightliner, onan, service