Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DP Dash Heater - Worthless?

Sandee and I took the MH out this weekend. Temps were in middle 30s. Sandee was driving and said here feet were cold. I closed up some upper level vents but her feet never felt warm.

I realize that it is a long haul for the coolant to travel from motor to dash. We also have the motor aid water heating system that diverts some coolant to the water heater to heat it up.

Are cool/cold toes pretty normal on colder days?

Of course, the only big concern that then comes into play is defrosting action. I would assume that if that was needed we might need to just get off the road. Still, we can be comfy if we fire up the furnace and I suppose pushing warm air from that onto the windshield helps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I do not know about your unit but on mine there are two water valves near the
engine that control the hot water lines to the front dash heaters.
Any chance someone has them turned off if you have the same set up.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
I do not know about your unit but on mine there are two water valves near the
engine that control the hot water lines to the front dash heaters.
Any chance someone has them turned off if you have the same set up.
Not aware but next time I get a chance I'll look. Tanx.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
To get to mine you have to crawl under the back and near the rear of the engine
and transmission is where mine are.
I had to ask the shop people what they were that is how I found out.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

I'm sure you'll find the problem and all it will take to solve it will be $$$. Probably a stupid question, but is hot air blowing out the vents? In other words, are you sure you have a problem? Usually you need to use aux. fans to supplement the defrost since you have a couple of sq. acres of glass to keep clear.

Cold feet and a lousy defrost is pretty common with these things in 30• temps......on the other hand.....what do I really know since we never travel anywhere that the thermometer might drop into ungodly 30•!!!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Don, I am thinking in the front in the genset area there is a valve the dash control opens and closes to control the hot coolant to the heater core, that valve might be stuck or have some kind of a problem. My dash heat will cook you right out of the seats at 30 deg. outside.
Look here first: http://evanstempcon.com/ownersmanuals.php

Maybe this? http://evanstempcon.com/serviceparts...ullID=RV218520

http://evanstempcon.com/serviceparts...ullID=RV218999

http://evanstempcon.com/serviceparts...ullID=RV218967
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jack,

We are getting some warm air but it isn't overly warm. It isn't like we want to drive in cold temps but it all we have right now. LOL However, if me make a mistake after we retire to go to cold temps, it might be nice for my wife's toes to be reasonably warm so that I can be reasonably comfy too.

Besides, sometimes it might be necessary to tackle the cold. All of my wife's family is in northern climates. If we needed to come back for something unplanned we would like to have the understanding of what it might be like. Certainly we can fire up the coach furnace if needed. I have read where some folks put up a curtain so they can just use the dash air and heat unless it really takes more.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Don--- my Itasca dp will keep the inside hot in 0 degree air but my feet will be cold. I feel this is because there is no fire wall insulation under the floor by the foot area this I am going to fix this year with some spray foam. Any way as far as the heater it blows hot even with motor aid.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Don, I am thinking in the front in the genset area there is a valve the dash control opens and closes to control the hot coolant to the heater core, that valve might be stuck or have some kind of a problem. My dash heat will cook you right out of the seats at 30 deg. outside.
Look here first: Evans Tempcon, Inc

Maybe this? Evans Tempcon, Inc

Evans Tempcon, Inc

Evans Tempcon, Inc
Went out to the bus tonight and I think the RV218999 kit is probably pretty darn close if not exact. I did verify I had air coming out of the vent by the accelerator peddle so I guess the next step is to start the bus up sometime and maybe take a temp reading out of that vent to get an idea of how much heat is coming out of it. I should also bone up on some trouble shooting for the unit too.

Of course, I will get hold of Newmar and track down the part list and verify what module I have. Thanks for pointing those links out.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #10

Don, is the dash temp gauge showing "normal" engine temp? If not...start there..engine has to be normal operating temp to achieve any sort of comfortable dash heat. Many times the flex tubing for the ducts is kinked, too long and bunched up creating a low flow...check your tubing to the dash vents. Everything else to check has been covered...but be sure engine is getting to "normal" on the temp gauge before wasting time anywhere else
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Don, is the dash temp gauge showing "normal" engine temp? If not...start there..engine has to be normal operating temp to achieve any sort of comfortable dash heat. Many times the flex tubing for the ducts is kinked, too long and bunched up creating a low flow...check your tubing to the dash vents. Everything else to check has been covered...but be sure engine is getting to "normal" on the temp gauge before wasting time anywhere else
When I was at the bus last night I did check to make sure I was getting good air flow out of the vents so volume of air seems about right. Last Sunday while we were out we had the bus running for a good hour. I could feel warm are out of the upper vents but I didn't think about checking the vent by the gas peddle to see if it was at least warm.

I did have to be careful and not ask Sandee if she expected to drive in cold weather in sandals. Just kidding.

I did download all the data from the links Palehorse89 provided. This isn't an emergency so I can take some time reviewing the stuff and trouble shooting the system as needed. At least I will be gaining a bit more knowledge of the system incase it really acts badly.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #12

This is in the Thor RV Section. I read this and its sounded like an interesting way to help in the heating of the cockpit.
Cockpit Curtain?

Bill..
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I too may have to travel through some cold weather next week and I was just wondering if there was any problem with using the furnace while traveling down the road. My dash heater also leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to really keeping cockpit warm. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
When it gets cold out. I always preheat my MH with the furnace. No way is that engine heater going to heat up a cold MH.
also check to make sure the cold air intake on the heater box is closed. Mine was stuck open. I get plenty of heat in my 2001 diplomat 38, once it's warmed up.
Rick

Tags
dash, heater