Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The diesel engines made after 1/1/2007 and before 1/1/2010 got a bit poorer fuel mileage due to EPA emission requirements. Coaches built in roughly that era (some had older or newer engines) may get 6-7 mpg rather than around 8. And 42 footers with big engines (500+ hp) are also likely to be in the 6+ range rather than 7-8.
I have yet to see any truth to this statement, nor have I ever seen any documents that indicate this is fact. As such, and from personal experience, I just don't think this is true.

Typically, the mpg will vary due to hp/weight ratio, speed, wind, traffic, and of course, driving habits. My '13 Phaeton with the DEF equipped 400hp ISL Cummins has, so far, averaged a little over 8 mpg while pulling our 4000 lb GMC Terrain over the past 10,000 miles. Yes, I have dropped down to 6 or 7, but that is usually due to mountain grades or traffic condition. Out on the interstate at 62mph, I will average over 9.

Our previous coach was an 08 Safari Simba with the 330hp CAT C7 and over 35,000 miles, I "averaged" 8.6 mpg....again pulling our Terrain and our previous toad an 86 Toyota 4x4 pickup.

I really see very little (if any) difference in mpg between the two drastically different motor homes. However, since most of the other causes mentioned above have been fairly constant, I can only surmise that the smog control devices have had little or no effect on mpg.

As far as the difference between the Bus and Phaeton, only you would be able to justify the difference. We looked at the Bus and decided on the Phaeton as we could get "almost" the same accessories on the Phaeton but a couple of feet shorter which only really resulted in a larger closet at the end. The Bus has a little more "Bling" to it, but I just couldn't see the difference in $$. We spend 5 months of the year living in our LH and the only thing I wish it had would be the heated floors....those tiles can get really cold in the mornings. However, the newer Phaetons not only have the heated floors now, it also has the same engine as the Bus.

Compare the written specifications between the two and see if the difference is worth the $$ to you.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
Don't rule out some of the mid 2000 DPs. There are some well taken care of and will save you a ton of $! With what I'm reading I would be a bit nervous buying a thing, new, right now. We bought our 08 about 6 mos ago, low miles and she's solid.

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
Completely agree. Remember after around 2007 the emissions started kicking in killing (relatively!) the mileage and efficiency of a Diesel (not to mention adding a lot of complicated sometimes not so reliable extra systems to the engine).

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #17

As a buddy of mine told me, if you're going to worry about fuel mileage, you probably shouldn't buy one.

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
Old 09-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I have yet to see any truth to this statement, nor have I ever seen any documents that indicate this is fact. As such, and from personal experience, I just don't think this is true.

Typically, the mpg will vary due to hp/weight ratio, speed, wind, traffic, and of course, driving habits. My '13 Phaeton with the DEF equipped 400hp ISL Cummins has, so far, averaged a little over 8 mpg while pulling our 4000 lb GMC Terrain over the past 10,000 miles. Yes, I have dropped down to 6 or 7, but that is usually due to mountain grades or traffic condition. Out on the interstate at 62mph, I will average over 9.

Our previous coach was an 08 Safari Simba with the 330hp CAT C7 and over 35,000 miles, I "averaged" 8.6 mpg....again pulling our Terrain and our previous toad an 86 Toyota 4x4 pickup.

I really see very little (if any) difference in mpg between the two drastically different motor homes. However, since most of the other causes mentioned above have been fairly constant, I can only surmise that the smog control devices have had little or no effect on mpg.

As far as the difference between the Bus and Phaeton, only you would be able to justify the difference. We looked at the Bus and decided on the Phaeton as we could get "almost" the same accessories on the Phaeton but a couple of feet shorter which only really resulted in a larger closet at the end. The Bus has a little more "Bling" to it, but I just couldn't see the difference in $$. We spend 5 months of the year living in our LH and the only thing I wish it had would be the heated floors....those tiles can get really cold in the mornings. However, the newer Phaetons not only have the heated floors now, it also has the same engine as the Bus.

Compare the written specifications between the two and see if the difference is worth the $$ to you.

Ron

There are 3 areas the impact diesel owners relative to emissions control.
1. Fuel economy
2. Reliability
3. Cost

1. The one piece of hardware that adversely impacted economy is the EGR system. This system started on some engines for the '04 EPA requirements. The ISL didn't have the EGR fuel system until the '07 EPA requirements.

2. The EGR has proven to be problematic and has caused reliability issues. The DPF which was introduced in '07 has had many issues with the regen process. The DEF system was introduced in '10 and had a positive effect of letting the engine builders de-tune the EGR and gain some power and Milage. The electronics involved have proven themselves to be less than trouble free.

2. A 2010 or later Cummins ISL costs about $15-20,000 more than the 2002 version of the same engine.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We also don't have any more fun in our 45' quad slide MH than we had in our first 17' Type B MH!
Am in complete agreement if by fun you mean the places you go and the people you meet.

I find the coach much more comfortable with better amenities which we also enjoy.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #20
jrs

If you put on 10000 miles/year the difference in cost of 1 extra mpg at $3.50/gal isn't going to break the bank....
Old 09-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #21

Thanks much for your response. At this time we are considering a 42 Phaeton or a 40 Newmar. We have pretty much eliminated the Bus.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #22

For sure.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #23

The cost of diesel fuel is one of my least important concerns. Purchasing a quality unit with a good service history should be number one. Go to a local RV repair facility and ask what their shop rate is. Unless you are a talented mechanic and RV repair expert you will get to know your mechanic on a first name basis.

The cost of properly maintaining an RV is not that bad. The cost of repairing an RV especially a diesel pusher that has been under maintained is very expensive and the parts specific to RV's are pricey.

Do you homework, ask the owner for all service documents. Spend the money to have an RV expert check it out. Listen to what he says, it will save you a ton of bucks! Good luck.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #24

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We have a 2015 Forest River Berkshire (41ft) DP. It has a 360hp Cummings.

Every trip this year we would get between 10 and 10.8 mpg. We pull a Toyota Prius on a dolly and ran the generator a few times for relatively short periods included in that.

When we had our fiver and a F350 dually, we couldn't beat 8.5mpg.

But I agree with previous posts..... if you're worried about the cost of fuel, it may be that you shouldn't be doing it. I count it as the price I pay to play.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbron View Post
Hi

We own a fairly new Allegro 35QBA gas RV. After a few trips we have learned that we are going to spend more time RVing and that we are probably candidates for a diesel pusher.

Perhaps some of you wouldn't mind sharing your comments about the following.

We want to be in the 40 -42 foot range and have looked at the Winnebago tour (42), the Tiffin phaeton (42) and their Bus (40).

Trying to figure out the range of these compared to our V-10 gas which we get 8 mpg towing 4500 lbs. Wondering what can I expect out of any of the above RV's towing the same vehicle.

Any and all comments would be much appreciated including the justification for considering the higher priced Bus vs. the Phaeton,

Thanks

John
We have a 43' Tour and love it. Tag axle, Aqua-Hot, and oddly enough we really wanted the awning attached to the slide and not the coach as to not loose a slides worth of shade. The other thing I really wanted was solar and night shades for all the windows.
The TV and fireplace are in front of the couch which means I can look forward to watch TV. Many coaches have there TV off to the side of the couch which is odd to me.
So again, layout is key.
Around 7-8 MPG with toad.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is just two of us so we do not need a large MH. Our actual weight is around 23000 with about a 5000lb toad. Our little ISB275 is very efficient at 62mph getting us from 9-13mpg. But 12 is normal.

Half the fun is working on these old girls so I am alwayus doing something to it. The other fun half is camping.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #27

My 91 Foretravel Grand Villa 40' U300 has a 6V92TA Detroit Allison 4 Speed getting about 7.5mpg
Something to keep in mind if you like camping in the smaller state /county parks coaches over about 36 ft can at times be hard to find a spot that will fit them .
Old 09-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Am in complete agreement if by fun you mean the places you go and the people you meet.

I find the coach much more comfortable with better amenities which we also enjoy.
True, but it also gives our six cats more room to run and bounce off the floor and ceiling.
If we were younger it could refer to chasing and catching the DW and "rocking the boat"!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote