Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #1

DP Decisions

I currently own a Nexus Phantom 31P Class C. It is a wonderful unit and we have enjoyed it across the country. My only complaint is that the cab area is essentially useless. That makes the lounging area very small and inconvenient when watching TV or if guest come.

I will move to a Class A as soon as possible. I have been comparing the Nexus Bentley 34B, the Tiffin Allegro Red 33aa, the Newmar Ventana 3436 and the ventana LE 3436.

My favorite floor plan is the Allegro Red followed by Nexus and Ventana.

The biggest negative on the Nexus is Gray/Black water tanks. Allegro Red wins this category.

Handling is a key for me. The Nexus has a feature called V Ride from Freightliner it appears to improve stability. The Ventana has Comfort Drive which many on this forum tout highly. Does anyone know if the Tiffin has any new features for improved handling? Length to wheelbase ratio are 52 for Nexus, 47 for Tiffin and 49 for the Newmars.

Nexus and Tiffin have air suspension and air brakes. Newmar has Hydraulic Disc front and Hydraulic Drum rear and I can't find any info on the Newmar suspension.

Wife and I will not full-time but may go out for a month or two at a time once I retire. We currently travel at least one weekend a month with one or two week-long outings and a 17 day outing once a year.

Can anyone shed some light to help me make my decision? Other brands might be helpful and I will consider a 36 footer if any suggestions. Main reason for limiting the length is I can store it at home unless it gets over 36 feet.

Thanks,
James and Beverly Sigler
2012 Nexus Phantom 31P
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
Jesigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #2

FWIW I have been known to put a folding camp chair up between the seats in our C. There is enough width. Facing aft it is more comfortable than the couch or dinette.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

Not sure what year Ventana you are looking at, but mine has V ride suspension, passive steer tag axle and comfort drive. Once you drive a Newmar diesel pusher with comfort drive you won’t care to drive anything else. The handling is phenomenal.

I have air bags and airbrakes. I'm on a freightliner chassis with a 400 cummins. I believe the shorter Ventana will have the 380. The Ventana LE is entry level with less features and smaller engine and allison tranny. That will limit your towing ability.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi James & Beverly! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't offer advice on the Class A choices.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #5

I was looking at Newmar vs Tiffin before I purchased my Itasca. The Comfort Drive didn’t seem to add much for me both drove well. I was looking at the Dutch Star vs the Allegro Bus. The Tiffin drove quieter than the Newmar. I know Tiffin makes a 36 or 37 foot Bus and I think Newmar makes a Dutch Star in that length too. The Dutch Star and the Bus are a little more pricy but much better than the Vantanna or Red which are both great couches too.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Newmar Ventana also has air suspension and brakes; and they all use a Freightliner chassis. The Ventana also has 3" walls and double pane windows for better insulation/comfort in hot and cold weather. If you order a Newmar you can make color, fabric, and special order changes in your RV. No one else allows as much factory customization on a customer order.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
DP Decisions

I’ve owned a shorter coach and I really believe the short coaches you are looking at can’t really compare to a 40+ tag axle coach no matter who makes it so look for short coach comparisons the short wheelbase effects handling to a large degree in my opinion

Are you sure the ventana’s have hydraulic brakes I haven’t looked but that would be a deal breaker fo me
Old 02-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We looked at both the Ventana and RED coaches. Comparing 36-39 foot coaches and the Tiffin RED 37PA was our choice hands down. The floor plan is very similar to the 33RED you are looking at.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
The Newmar Ventana also has air suspension and brakes; and they all use a Freightliner chassis. The Ventana also has 3" walls and double pane windows for better insulation/comfort in hot and cold weather. If you order a Newmar you can make color, fabric, and special order changes in your RV. No one else allows as much factory customization on a customer order.
Recheck your specs. .. we considered RED 33aa and very happy we ended up we a Newmar Ventana 3433.
CD nor a gimmick its a game changer.
Double pane windows a big +

Floor plans a whole different story go we ith what works fir you. .. not a place to compromise.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

No comparison for Comfort Drive. It's not a gimmick it's for real. Air brakes and suspension. Dual pane window make it more comfy in heat and cold. List goes on and on.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #11

Our Forrest river Berkshire 34qs handles very well according to hubby. I like that the shower is good size, fire place, king size bed & plenty of storage. at 35' it gets us easily into many places. All the DP you are considering are nice units and I'm sure any one wil be great!