Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We found one filter back at the engine above the starter. The other filter we found is the water separator. We believe that one was newly changed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Warranties are worthless

So discouraged at this point. The problem is the fuel filter. While there we had them check the chassis for any other concern. Here is what was found:
Wiring harness -- rubbed through on some wires and copper is showing
Exhaust brake - not connected (not functioning)
Fuel Sensor - needs replaced (not functioning)
Coolant tubes to air compressor - corroded and should be replaced

Interstate RV Warranty --
Warranty will cover the fuel sensor ($273 for parts and .6hr labor)
Wiring harness -- they want to know what "caused" the copper on the wires in that area to be showing?
Exhaust brake -- why was it disconnected. Did something break and is it an internal failure or did it just fall off, or did someone intentionally disconnect it?
Coolant tubes -- nothing is broken so they won't fix it (would rather wait till the air compressor is damaged I guess).

Diagnostic costs -- will not pay any of it.

So disgusted even with Thomas Sheaffer RV who told us they do this 100 point check on RV's and didn't even change a fuel filter when we insisted it be serviced before we purchased.

What a racket all around. If I had to do over, as much as I love the RV, I would stay with the hotel route.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
One more thing

Estimate for all repairs is at about $1600 right now.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Sorry to hear of all the issues, chin up once it's repaired this will only be a bump in the road.

If the purchase agreement contained provisions for the service on the vehicle prior to you taking possession, I would urge you to call Thomas Shaeffer RV and request they pay for the diagnostics, rubbed wires (which they should have caught on a 100 point inspection) and filter change. If they refuse talk with a lawyer and proceed as necessary. JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #19

Far too many RV sales lots , do this , say they do inspections , sell the extended warranties , and hope the new owner doesn't have problems till the extended warranty cuts in. Any break downs in the first 60 ( ? ) days would have to be covered by the seller.
The warranty company is trying to determine if the wiring is something that the sales lot should have repaired prior to selling you the RV & the warranty.
Many times if the sales dealer is caught doing this , selling without doing repairs, the warranty companies won't allow them to sell the warranties.

I'm sorry you're in a bad situation, with these repairs, and hope you get things resolved quickly so you can put this behind you and get out an enjoy your coach.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #20

It never ceases to amaze me how people expect an RV dealer to properly check out a motorhome. I would almost be willing to bet money there is NOBODY there on staff qualified to do anything below the floor line, other than maybe fill the LP tank or check the tire pressures.... and further, I'll bet they didn't even do that.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #21
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how people expect an RV dealer to properly check out a motorhome. I would almost be willing to bet money there is NOBODY there on staff qualified to do anything below the floor line, other than maybe fill the LP tank or check the tire pressures.... and further, I'll bet they didn't even do that.
I guess the expectation would be if the dealer claims a qualified service department they should be able to do what is necessary, at the minimum change both fuel filters while doing a service.

Here's a quote from Thomas Shaeffer RV's web page about service: "Tom Schaeffer's employs Master Certified Technicians, RV Certified Technicians and factory-trained technicians." To me that says the OP's expectations were justified. JMHO

Here's the link if you want to check it for yourself:

Pennsylvania RV Service - On Travel Trailers, Motor Homes, Fifth Wheels, Expandables, Toy Haulers and More
Old 09-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #22

You do not need one iota of diesel truck experience to carry a "Master Certified Technician" license - I just looked. (https://www.ase.com/Tests/ASE-Certif...er-Status.aspx) To get his "Master " rating, a tech could substitute the H1 CNG engine test for the H2 diesel test.

There ARE more advanced ratings you can get, but they are not required to carry that basic "Master" rating.

Even assuming I read that improperly (surely possible!) and they did have somebody there that did know what they were doing, I think it safe to assume 99% of the other dealers do not...

Even if they did have somebody, I would want a 3rd party inspection. Asking a dealership to certify their own work is asking for trouble. Way to easy to say "that's not covered under our warranty", or you bought that as-is after they've collected their money.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #23

Dp cut out

The posts to check both the primary and they engine filter are correct. This is the first check to see that the engine gets the needed fuel to operate properly
Once the filters are checked and replaced if needed, the next step is to see if the problem is more serious.
Namely, the high pressure injector pump requires a steady supply of diesel fuel to do its job. In Cummins systems this fuel is provided by a BOOST PUMP that responds to the engine's need for fuel by pumping diesel fuel to the injector pump.
This is an electric pump which can fail. The engine will continue to operate for awhile, but at a drastic reduction in power. The injector pump will fail after awhile.
Having been there, replaced filters, only to have the problem continue, I suggest this maybe an answer to the problem stated in this thread. Also for the general knowledge of all RV'ers.
Regars,
JimB
Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How long ago did you buy this unit?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you everyone

We have our cost down to $1300.00. Harrisburg Cummins repair shop tackled the Interstate RV for me on some of the repairs needed to agreeing to pay $532 before my $200 deductible. At least that is something.

Learned another expensive life lesson and my DH also says "put it behind us and let's enjoy the unit. Could have been worse and we still love the RV.

We will be writing letters to Sheaffers RV. This is the second issue we had (the first being the backup camera -- which they did cooperate in paying for 1/2 of it to replace it along with what the warranty company gave us.

We only bought it in April.

At least now we know it has been gone over by a reputable company and have better piece of mind when on the road.

And yes, because of the reputation of Sheaffers and the level of their mechanics, we truly expected they would not be so sloppy with something as simple as not replacing the fuel filter.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
If they stated anywhere in the purchase agreement full service I would nail them to the wall. Oil change both coach and gen with servicing of all filters(fuel filters on coach once a year) air dryer serviced(every 2 years can stretch to 3) Air filter coach(should be replaced every 3 years) transmission(filters and fluid) radiators(fluid). Kinda late now but an independent inspection at $300-$400 might have paid off.

LEN
Old 09-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #27
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Glad to hear you got it repaired and are on your way to enjoying your new to you rig. Best of luck.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstehman View Post
So disgusted even with Thomas Sheaffer RV who told us they do this 100 point check on RV's and didn't even change a fuel filter when we insisted it be serviced before we purchased.

What a racket all around. If I had to do over, as much as I love the RV, I would stay with the hotel route.
100 Point inspection routine! This means they look at the right headlight, the left headlight, make sure the door won't fall off in travel, have lunch in your coach, watch your tv.... I agree, this line from RV dealers is a joke!

besides, I hardly trust that many rv dealers are honestly equipped to really look at all of the various diesel engines and chassis' that float by them.

I hate that you feel hoodwinked, and you were sort of, but I have learned this is the nature of the beast. And I don't trust an RV salesperson further than I can throw em.

Count your blessings though. You weren't stranded, you're bill didn't exceed 2k! which is tremendous and a bonus. So far, I'm 12k in And at times, it's frustrating.

I have also learned that anyone who buys a DP should immediately head to a chassis / engine shop and have everything looked over completely. This is how I discovered a rear airbag failure, and a air valve failure - which could have been ugly had it blown or failed at speed.

While there, have them check EVERYTHING from brakes, to air, to driveline, to filters, to codes. And fix anything you can squeeze on that insurance policy while it lasts.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote