Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how people expect an RV dealer to properly check out a motorhome. I would almost be willing to bet money there is NOBODY there on staff qualified to do anything below the floor line, other than maybe fill the LP tank or check the tire pressures.... and further, I'll bet they didn't even do that.
x15!!! THOUSAND

Sometimes even the CAT shop people stand around and scratch their head.

Nothing worse than hearing one CAT shop tech say to another CAT shop tech "Huh...." (scratch scratch)

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Update again

Recent update....hope others are reading this so they learn from this experience too (that's why I'm posting updates).

The exhaust break was not working because it is froze up. Cost to repair - $1700.00. Total repair bill so far is $3300.00.

But I am encouraged as Lori with Cummins Power Pro in Harrisburg, PA has been amazing. She spent another hour on the phone with warranty company explaining to them why this is a covered expense and they are paying the entire $1700.00.

Our out of pocket will be $1100.00 for all of these repairs.

I will count my blessings at this point and give my husband a big hug for having them check everything out at once while we were there for the fuel filter.

Shame on the RV dealer. Our first out of pocket bill within 1 month was $700 for the backup camera (warranty paid $400).

Guess I am getting a good part of my warranty money back and they probably aren't too happy that I am getting it within 5 months of purchasing the unit (and have 4 years and 5 months left on the warranty).

We all know warranty companies don't like to be paying out and $2600 in 5 months can't make them any happier with the dealer than I am.

All said....feeling hopeful we will be back in service soon.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's great! Glad to hear the update and the lowered out of pocket. It seems common that a "trip to the shop" totals easily in the 4k range per trip
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #32

Had an '02 Safari, 350 Cummins that would quit after driving a while and shutting down then trying to re-start. Only happened once while driving, but it was quite a scare. Mine turned out to be a bad ignition switch that the good folks at Rocky Mountain Cummins in Denver found.
Hope it helps.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Back in the shop again

Picked up the coach on Friday. They did not road test as we had a flat tire (on top of everything else), so took it to have the tire changed and were told to drive it home and take it for a good drive over the weekend. They were 98% sure it was fixed.

Well, the 25 mile drive home seemed like it never ran better. Started it up Sunday morning and left it run 20 minutes before leaving to take it for that long drive. Made it 2 miles up the road, engine shut down and we were able to coast off the road into the big parking lot of the bowling alley.

Would not start again after that.

Called Good Sam Roadside service (who could not find a provider in our area that could tow a 40' DP, but authorized towing by another company) and sent us form for reimbursement to us.

5 hours later and $450 for towing -- DP is sitting back at the Cummins engine dealer.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point and maybe we should stick to dry camping in our back yard.

I'm wondering on some prior posts on fuel pump or lift pump? Any guesses anyone to see who the winner is?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #34

Boost pump

GOOGLE "BOOST PUMP" and see what goes. Sound like your problem.
Regards,
JimB
Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #35

My plan would be to replace the filters again. If that seems to fix it (allows it to be restarted), I'd be cutting the primary filter (the one you just removed) apart to see what contaminated it. There's a chance you have a tank full of contaminated fuel. The coach is only going to go a few miles (25?) before the filter plugs up again?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Sigh!!!

Well, took the RV home and tried to do the test drive on Sunday. Left it idle for 20 minutes before leaving. Got 2 miles up the road and it shut down...not able to restart. Had it towed 25 miles back to Cummins (thank you Good Sam Roadside assistance).

Got the call yesterday -- filter clogged again and there is algae in the fuel tank. Cost this time will be $900 including several spare filters and treatment as we were told we will need to drive it when we get it back and probably need to pull over and change the filters until the treatment gets rid of the algae.

Were looking so forward to traveling by RV -- gotta say now I'm quite weary of it and not having much fun.

Any thoughts from anyone else on how you dealt with algae....or any words of wisdom are welcome.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #37
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Chin up my friend. Remember that into everyone's life a little rain must fall.....but rain makes rainbows and you're due for one. Once your beyond this it'll seem like just a bump in the road.

Just a ponder......There are other ways to clean the algae out, one includes draining the tank, removing it and sending it out for cleaning. Another possibility is a contractor in the area to filter the algae from the tank and return the filtered diesel to the tank. Still will need extra intervals on the filter changes and treatments to insure the fuel supply remains clean. Not sure how full the tank is currently. Not sure if there is anyone in your area that contracts to do this. Cummins may know, otherwise I would call some diesel fuel suppliers and check it out.

I can tell you in my years as a diesel tech I've thrown out, recycled, hundreds of gallons of fuel. Sometimes it's the only way to proceed.

Best of luck in however you decide to proceed.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #38

If you can figure out a way to get rid of it, drain all the contaminated fuel from the tank and replace it with fresh. You still may have to change the filter again, but I can't see changing the filter several times while waiting to see if/how well/when the treatment works. That makes no sense at all. The price of a tank of fuel, vs. what it might cost in time/trouble/money to change the filters half a dozen times? Sheesh... seems like a no brainer here?

Edit: Seems like the service center you had it at should have volunteered this info? Doesn't happen every day, but it does happen. They should have a way of dealing with that contaminated fuel.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing fuel

They did volunteer that information -- suggested both ways. We are trying to figure out what to do as we want to make sure the algae is cleared up too and that we don't put new fuel in and still have to decontaminate. This is all new to us for sure. We would be able to drain and dispose of as we have many farms in our area that would take the fuel.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #40

Bleed fuel off your fuel filters. There may be water in them. My 2001 Diplomat bucks and jerks under load sometimes and this cures it!
Old 09-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #41
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechariowa View Post
Bleed fuel off your fuel filters. There may be water in them. My 2001 Diplomat bucks and jerks under load sometimes and this cures it!

Glad you're aboard.

Take some time and read the whole thread, please. It will be obvious, I hope, that just draining the water off the filters is not an option for the OP (Original Poster). His primary fuel filter is completely plugged with algae. That requires the complete fuel system be cleaned to eradicate the algae. It works if you have a primary filter that has the drain installed in the bottom, but should not be used as an alternative to replacing the filters if water has entered the fuel system. IMO (In My Opinion). Severe fuel injection pump/nozzle damage can be caused by this.

Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #42
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstehman View Post
They did volunteer that information -- suggested both ways. We are trying to figure out what to do as we want to make sure the algae is cleared up too and that we don't put new fuel in and still have to decontaminate. This is all new to us for sure. We would be able to drain and dispose of as we have many farms in our area that would take the fuel.
In my experience the drain the tank, remove and send out for cleaning is the most successful way to accomplish what you want, however it does come down to cost and how deep your pockets are. Either way should work, especially if you treat it on a regular basis and change the filters as recommended. JMHO