Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by bburcham View Post
The main thing to inspect on a side radiator system is the fan motor itself. Had mine to fail in Florida this year. Sprayed hydraulic fluid all over the engine. Did not catch fire but smoke was tremendous. Replaced the motor, hew failed in about 7 miles. Replaced again. the 3 rd failed around 1000 miles. This time we had just crossed a mountain and the engine was hot. Lost a great coach. Wis I had installed the fire suppression system. Do not trust side radiators! Has anyone else had failing fan motors. Indication is oil slick on the highway and an empty hydraulic tank after the fire.
On our third side radiator MH. Have never had a problem with a fan motor or leak.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you

Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Ok. Go into your manual for the ScanGauge. On page 19, read the PIDs explanation at the bottom of the page. Now go to page 41 and read the Overview for the X-gauge you will find a step by step instruction to how to enter this new sensor. If you don't happen to not have a manual, you can download the user manual here:

The parameters are programmed in through the X-Gauge features of the unit. Also go to Get More Gauges for the ScanGaugeD : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge for more info.

More info: http://www.scangauge.com/wp-content/...s/PID_RQST.pdf

Estimated Percent Fan Speed(%)
TXD: 00
RXF: 11FE02BD0000
RXD: 1808
MTH: 000200050000
NAM: User Defined ( I used FS%)

This is for the Cummins ISL engine (CM850) so I don't know if it will work with your ECM (engine control module).

Good Luck

2004 Mountain Aire 4018
Speedjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #17
Great advice! I had Mac the Fire Guy install his system in my 98 Prevost Mirage XL 45', eng compartment 2 years ago, after learning that there are some 8,000 fires yearly in RV's! I also had him install his very affordable system in the gen compartment, battery compartment and electrical bus compartment ... all possible fire candidate areas! He uses different fire fighting reagents ... halon, foam, etc., as appropriate.
Also have thermal blankets installed on turbo and exh pipes.
We sleep comfortably now!!
I make it a point to power wash the engine compartment frequently, which makes any leaks visible when I eye the eng compartment ... daily.
The clutch fan bearings failed on my Series 60 Detroit 5 miles out of Grand Canyon 2 months ago, but is electrically operated, so no leak problem there.
The fan failed after 180,000 miles/17 yrs. Had a replacement sent overnight, but it will take a while to realize the fuel savings on the $1,200 replacement clutch fan!
The other potential fire problem area is the inside dually on the drive axle. I flat here can cause a fire in 10-15 miles at highway speeds due to tire rubbing ... so I installed a tire sentry system from Campers World. Their system monitors pressure and temp on all 8 tires ... which also guards against a failed wheel bearing ... another common cause of bus fires! This system will also monitor trailer/toad tires with additional sensors on the valve stem.
It is very comforting to have a "real time" indication of tire/wheel health as sail along at highway speeds for hours at a time!
We just returned from an 8,300 mile x-country trip and the systems installed made for a very relaxing, stress-free journey!

C310P is offline   Reply With Quote