Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
DP - First Years Annual Maintenance

Ok folks - please check me on this. My DP is coming up on one year old, and it is time to do the annual service on it. Here is what I am looking at having lined up: please comment/add/subtract as you think per your experience:
(Engine: Cummins ISb6.7
Transmission: Allison 3000/4000
Generator: Cummins Onan HDKAK
Chassis: Freightliner Custom Chassis)

• Change Oil / oil filter
  • Change Fuel Filter (Manual only states singular - I thought there were two??)
  • Change power steering fluid and Filter (this is a surprise to me: is annual change on these typical?)
  • Check coolant
  • check drive belt
  • Check radiator hoses, check/clean radiator
  • Change oil / oil filter
  • Clean Spark Arrestor
  • (manual says to do these every 150 hours ... but at the 50 hour mark I only changed the oil and missed changing the filter ... so I figure I will play catch-up now, even though I only have ~95 hours on the set)
  • Change oil in oil-filled hubs (is this typically an annual service??)
Balance of the chassis:
  • LOTS of inspection points (transmission breather, axel breather, brake valve inspection, engine support fasteners, air brake mechanism inspection, etc, etc, etc.
The fluid/filter changes in the engine and genset I am expecting ... all of the inspection points on the chassis pretty make sense ... BUT I have not seen any discussion about these in my previous readings on IRV2. What do you all typically do regarding these inspection points???? I do have a recall on the chassis that needs to be addressed ... and there is a freightliner authorized center very near me (Boyer Trucks, Savage, MN) and I am thinking I will just have them take care of it all if need be....

Your advice and thoughts will be most welcome!

- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
I'm going to kick this back to the top of the list just once hoping that someone will comment - especially on the annual change of both the power steering fluid and the oil-filled hubs: is this what long-term DP owners do each year? (also, is it really necessary to go through all the inspection points on the chassis each year???)

Your thoughts will be most welcome!

Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You should go to the Freightliner Custom Chassis website and download the maintenance schedules. I think you are missing a number of things. If your coach is on a Freightliner chassis, check out the information on Camp Freightliner. I was new to diesels and that was undoubtedly the best money I have spent on the RV. I would highly recommend it as many other have. It will make you extremely knowledgeable of what, why and when, service needs to be done. If you decide to go to Camp F, you can have your first service done properly at the Factory Service Center while you are there. Depending on how the coach drives, you might consider an alignment with the coach loaded.
09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
And at Freightliner you can get the 4-corner weight which is important. The best money I ever spent on the coach was Camp Freightliner. Mike Cody taught me so much and gave me that great book which has the maintenance schedule. The book also told me everything about the chassis- date of manufacture, etc. Now I miss nothing on the scheduled maintenance. It is on Mike's sheets!
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #5

Buy rig, load for travel, front end align. Fixed me!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Bobmac and Melmoses - thank you very much for your replies. You have reinforced the inspection points/fluid changes that I am looking at (I do have the maintenance schedule - that is where I got the maintenance list from:it is just that some of the items caught me a little by surprise). I also do know about Camp Freightliner ... but since I am not retired it will be a while before I can make my way down there . I will download the online version though: the tearout annual lists will be a great thing for me to take to the Freightliner service center when I take the unit in. No complaints: appropriate service is a wonderful thing for keeping us safe and moving down the road!

Thank you again!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MN Traveler,
Go to Freightliner Web Site

Click on the "Maintenance" tab (grayed out but still clickable.)

Click on "Recreational Vehicle Chassis Maintenance Manual"

You will find everything you need to know about maintenance schedules.

I believe they all have a 6 month service interval, then it is 15,000 or 1 year, 24,000 or 2 years, 36,000 or 3 years, and 48,000 or 4 years, then you start over at the 15,000 or 1 year schedule.

If you have a Cummins engine, after the first 6 month schedule it is every 15,000 miles (well for my ISB 6.7)

Happy trails.

If you have a Cummins engine you are set

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote