Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

DP Fuel filters

So I am carrying fuel filters with me. But got to thinking about it the other day, and I didn't have a filter wench in the tool kit, so wasn't prepared to change one. Easy enough to address.

But following that thought through, even with a filter wrench, I am still not really prepared change the filters as I have no way to fill the filters and ensure I will have a restart.

What are you all doing about that? My coach has 2 filters, I've read where some prime with transmission fluid? Is that really ok?

Thought about filtering a gallon of fuel, and carrying a jug with me? But of course it will age, could be messy, etc..

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Cummin's says, installed the filters dry. Then prime the fuel system by turning the key to ON a few times,30 seconds each, but not trying to start the engine. After a few ON cycles it fires right up. Works for my ISC Cummins engines, CK your manual to be sure.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

I just did both of my filters. One was installed in a place with limited access (had to work from below it). Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I ended up buying a strap wrench that's used with a 1/2" drive. I first tried breaking the filters loose with a pretty good sized 1/2" ratchet, but was unable. I ended up using a breaker bar, and just as I was going to give up and get something to slip over the end of that - I saw the filter move a hair. (Note that I'm old, but still a pretty good sized guy, and the strap, had it not been placed at the very bottom of the filter, very likely would have collapsed the filter prior to achieving the torque required to remove it)

Point being, fair to expect that filter to be on there pretty good. Plan accordingly.

I cleaned a 1qt oil bottle (rinsed with a little diesel) and filled that with diesel (from a jug I keep around for our tractor), then took my time filling the filter through the outside holes. Even though I didn't fill completely (knowing full well I'd spill it while installing), the engine fired without hesitation, never missing a beat (spelling relief from the concern I had regarding priming). I used same procedure for both filters, doing them one at a time, starting engine after each was installed, without further issue.

BTW, these were Cat filters, and had little icons printed right on the filters, that I understood were telling me to pre-fill the filters, and oil the O-ring seals.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
Cummin's says, installed the filters dry. Then prime the fuel system by turning the key to ON a few times,30 seconds each, but not trying to start the engine. After a few ON cycles it fires right up. Works for my ISC Cummins engines, CK your manual to be sure.

Good info! Thanks for posting!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You probably need carry only the primary filter (the one closest to the tank, that is also probably the water separator). It traps any dirt or water in the fuel tank and only the finest particles escape through to the secondary at the engine. If you get some dirty fuel, it is the primary that gums up. The secondary either won't need replacement, or it can wait until you get to a shop or home. Sometimes the secondary can be a PITA to access or to get primed with fuel

For a Cummins electronic engine, there is an electric fuel pump that will prime the primary filter well enough if you cycle the ignition several times. For a Cat, there may be a manual primer pump, or it may need to be pre-filled with clean diesel fuel. You can also substitute something very close to diesel, e.g. kerosene or heating oil. Just be sure it is clean and that you don't wash in any dirt from around the edges!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
So I am carrying fuel filters with me. But got to thinking about it the other day, and I didn't have a filter wench in the tool kit, so wasn't prepared to change one. Easy enough to address.

But following that thought through, even with a filter wrench, I am still not really prepared change the filters as I have no way to fill the filters and ensure I will have a restart.

What are you all doing about that? My coach has 2 filters, I've read where some prime with transmission fluid? Is that really ok?

Thought about filtering a gallon of fuel, and carrying a jug with me? But of course it will age, could be messy, etc..

L.
Well Lloyd,
I carry only ONE spare because I only have ONE fuel filter on our coach. I also carry a small, brand new, one gallon, plastic fuel can filled with diesel. It get's emptied and re-filled, when I fuel the coach up at fuel stops. It's no big deal to do that 'cause that can, sits in the compartment, right next to the one of my fuel inlets. That way, I get fresh fuel in that little can, on a quite-often basis.

I also have a very large syringe (about 50 CC) that's brand new in a plastic sealed envelope that I would use to fill that brand new filter, IN THE SMALL HOLES, if and when I ever needed to while out on the road. Yep, the procedure would take me in the neighborhood of about 8-10 minutes to change and re-fill that new filter but, it's far better than any other option.

Also, many on here have seen my picture(s) of my remedy for LOST fuel if, the tank level is lower than the filter at the time of change. I installed fuel shut-0ff valves, one on each side of the filter. That way, I do a quarter turn and, the fuel in the lines, on both sides of the filter, cannot go anywhere, no matter what kind of grade I'm setting on and, no matter what kind of level of fuel is in the tank at the time.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am not familiar with the fuel filter lay out on the Thor coaches but on the Monaco coaches we have a primary ( no prime pump on this filter) and a secondary filter and the secondary filter has a pre prime by cycling the key on and off to fill with the prime fuel pump that will run about 15 seconds with each ignition key cycle. I generally pre fill the primary by first plunging the center hole with a nipple I have for that purpose ,only change one filter at a time then run the engine for a couple minutes then change the other filter and prime as above by cycling the ign switch. If I was on the road I would prime the primary the best I could using the fuel out of the secondary filter by cycling the key and refilling the filter before starting the engine, using the fuel out of the secondary has already been filtered by the primary filter and should be 25 to 30 micron filter and I use a secondary 5 to 10 micron filter.
I would not use any type oil pre fill .
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #8

Thanks Guys! Great info!

Didn't think about an elec pump, will check that out. Not sure if my coach has one.

I carry both, because I can. Agreed, I'd hit the first one and move on once the problem was solved.

Thanks!

L.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #9

I personally fill mine with fuel when changing. Mine is one that cycling the key primes it & the world has not ended yet. On the side of the road fill it & don't worry about it.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #10

One help, whether pre filled or not, is to change just one of the two filters at a time. Then, start and run engine after one, then do the other. Lessens the amount of air admitted at one time.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Thanks Guys! Great info!

Didn't think about an elec pump, will check that out. Not sure if my coach has one.

I carry both, because I can. Agreed, I'd hit the first one and move on once the problem was solved.

Thanks!

L.
Your ISL will have one .
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just a caution about wording: Is you talk to Cummins, they think the "primary" filter is the one that comes on the engine from Cummins and the chassis filter is "secondary". Everyone else thinks the filter closest to the fuel tank (the one the fuel passes through first) is "primary" and the one at the engine is "secondary". Not all engines have a secondary either - some, made in 2003-early 2005, used only one filter.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #13

After changing both fuel filters, I just turn the key on for 30 seconds and off for 10 seconds for 15 to 20 times. I then start the engine. Have never had any problems doing it this way. If on the road I change my filters at a truck stop and take the old filters to them and they allow me to drain the fuel and dispose of the filters. I always carry both filters with me. If I have them changed when I have the oil changed I have them use my filters and then buy both to use incase I need to change them on the road.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #14

Koda, you just install the filters empty? Or do you add fuel to them before install.

We essentially have the same rigs.

L.

Tags
fuel