Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 AM   #1

DP fueling stops

I don't know about anyone else but, one of the most stressful parts of my trips is stopping to fuel up. This is particularly compounded by having my car in tow and being unable to back up. I spend a lot of time checking out diesel pumps that I can't fit into, can't drive through, or can't access. Truck stops don't always work because you can't use your credit card at the pump at many. About the only place I have found that accommodates Rvs is Flying J. But they're not always nearby. So I've decided to share whenever I find a good place for Rvs. Driving home from Florida, I spotted a sign on I95 north at exit 13 near Emporia, VA. It read, "RV Diesel". Could it be? Someone thinks that rvs deserve some consideration? I pulled off, followed the signs to discover it was true! A fuel station with 3 easy in/easy out pumps for any size rv! I just had to pass it on. It's rightly called Slip-In.

Maybe we should start compiling a list of such unique stops so those of us who feel the same way I do will be less stressed out.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use always Truck Stops. Yes, you'll probably have to go inside to get your card approved but you know that you will have enough room to maneuver around. Here is a Youtube video on Truck stop refueling.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We are noticing more "national brand" stations (not Loves or Flying J) are putting in RV lanes and advertising it on their signs. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

The biggest damage to my coach came when I tried to use a non-truck stop for fuel and now I use nothing else. I try to avoid the big chains (eg-Pilot) as they nearly always more expensive than the local places.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

40'DP with either a toad on dolly or 16' tandem axle trailer. Yes, you can go to a truck stop and go inside and pay. But you're going to PAY. I use Gas Guru to find a cluster of regular gas stations with decent prices and odds are I can easily get into 2 out of three no problem. They are building them pretty roomy these days. Nothing stressful about it. Suggest taking your rig to a Walmart parking lot on a Sunday morning and practicing tight quarter maneuvering with some cones.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

I use the big chains whenever I can. Pilot/Flying J is the first choice since I can use their charge card and get a discount. Yes, it is more expensive. But I almost could not get out of station once. If I cannot find a big truck stop, I look at any potential stop using Google maps. I even call if there is any question. I have created a list of fuel stops in the states we mostly travel with notes on some of them.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #7

Pilot and Loves credit cards. Yes you pay for convenience but it just doesn’t get any easier!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not sure how many miles most put on their coach but assuming 5000 miles per year at 8 miles to the gallon, paying extra for a tuck stop like Pilot at $.30 a gallon. This equates to $187.50 per year. In my opinion worth every penny to have an easy entrance, exit. The wife also has an app that allows us most of the time to pay with it and never go into the store.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Does anyone know of an app that lists stations with satellite pumps? I need to do both sides a once.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I'm not sure how many miles most put on their coach but assuming 5000 miles per year at 8 miles to the gallon, paying extra for a tuck stop like Pilot at $.30 a gallon. This equates to $187.50 per year. In my opinion worth every penny to have an easy entrance, exit. The wife also has an app that allows us most of the time to pay with it and never go into the store.
I’ve never fueled at anywhere other than Flying J/Pilot and I have also never had to pay .30 more per gallon for diesel. I have learned that some people get confused about pricing because in states like Arizona that have a special diesel tax that price is the one advertised but the tax only applies to commercial vehicles so RVers aren’t subject to the special taxes.

Its a very rate occasion that with my .09 deduction per gallon I get using the Flying J card that I find myself paying much more (if anything) than the cheapest local fueling station in town. Not having to drive into town and having room to roam is a good thing to me but I know some people that will drive 5 or 6 miles to save a few cents. At 8 mpg I don’t actually see where they get much savings if they have to drive 12 addition miles to find cheaper fuel. And as far as going inside (I only HAVE to do that if I was a receipt) I don’t think thats a big deal. Fueling time is also leg stretching time so I’m ok with that.
Sarge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Latte View Post
I don't know about anyone else but, one of the most stressful parts of my trips is stopping to fuel up. This is particularly compounded by having my car in tow and being unable to back up. I spend a lot of time checking out diesel pumps that I can't fit into, can't drive through, or can't access. Truck stops don't always work because you can't use your credit card at the pump at many. About the only place I have found that accommodates Rvs is Flying J. But they're not always nearby. So I've decided to share whenever I find a good place for Rvs. Driving home from Florida, I spotted a sign on I95 north at exit 13 near Emporia, VA. It read, "RV Diesel". Could it be? Someone thinks that rvs deserve some consideration? I pulled off, followed the signs to discover it was true! A fuel station with 3 easy in/easy out pumps for any size rv! I just had to pass it on. It's rightly called Slip-In.

Maybe we should start compiling a list of such unique stops so those of us who feel the same way I do will be less stressed out.
Interesting you started this thread as one of the boxes I had to have checked off was 150 gallon fuel tanks. I use GasBuddy to search and to have several fuel options down the road. With 500-700 miles range and still plenty of fuel in the tank it allows me to pick and choose where the next stop is.

Still at some stops there are only a pump or two that is accessible to allow a large turn to not have the backing issue. I try to avoid truck stops as they always are at least 30 cents above the other outlets. If in farm country then the local fuel islands are designed for semi trucks and trailers.

Almost every larger town has a fuel outlet that isn't a truck stop and has room to get in and out.

Being able to find those easily would be a nice feature for an App to have.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Does anyone know of an app tha lists stations with satellite pumps? I need to do both sides a once.
Almost all newer truck stops and now I see Casey's and some of the new Kwik Shops that have truck lanes also have dual pumps.

I prefer to just use one side when using the high volume pumps.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #13

On our recent trips across I70 there have been several new truck stops open up in the last couple of years. Actually seen more new ones on I70 than any of the other interstates that we have been on which is interesting.

In Gillette this last fall the truck stops were 50 cents per gallon higher than the major outlets a few blocks away. I usually take 100 gallons or so and driving a few blocks don't bother me.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
I prefer to just use one side when using the high volume pumps.
I agree and did it when I had my BB. The M2 Frightliner that I have now has a very small cross over tube between the 50 gallon saddle tanks so it would take a long time for equalization to take place.

And I don't spill any when using a satellite pump because I start with the main nozzle pushed in the tank as far as possible and set it for very slow. Then I go to the other side and hold the nozzle in my hand were I can see the fuel getting up to the neck. After I finish I go back to the main pump and pull it up to where I can see what is going on in the tank and fill it. Not a drop wasted. The DEF pump is a different story. Somehow I always get a spit up all over my cab steps. That nozzle is very skinny and does not allow air to exit the DEF tank if it is inserted all the way in. So I stand back from it.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel