Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
DP Handling

We are considering getting a used DP to travel in. This would be our first motorhome.

Our #1 interest is one that handles well in wind and with passing trucks.

We prefer 40 feet and not the more expensive, longer tag axles.

Not many used DP's in Maine to look at or try out.

Based on internet searches alone, we are leaning towards 2004-2006 40 foot Allegro Bus, Dutch Star or Travel Supreme (Intrigue if price was right).

What can you tell us about the handling of these models?

Any other DP models like the above that are solid on the road?

Tom & Judy
2006 Travel Supreme 42 DS04
04 GMC Envoy XL
tllapointe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
I have a 40ft HR Endeavor. When I first got it, it did not handle very well. I had it out on a long trip and noticed that the tires were starting to wear funny. It only had less then 10,000 miles on it when I bought it. I took it in to be aligned and that fixed the problem. The tires would not even out so I bought all new Michelen XZA's. I also put on a set of new Koni shocks. What a world of difference. It handles like a totally different rig. I dont get bumped around in the wind when a semi passes me.

As far as cross winds go, you are really at the mercy of the wind. I have been pushed over one entire lane before from a gust of wind. Just slow down if the cross winds are making you nervous, or pull over and wait it out.

We dont race on Elvis's Birthday
Poltax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
Thanks - 20 years ago, my father-in-law had a Southwind. That would it took 3/4 turn on the steering wheel to keep from changing lanes. That isn't relaxing.

Glad to hear that there are things to do to improve handling.
Tom & Judy
04 GMC Envoy XL
Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
I would say the majority of DPs handle pretty good. My 38' 2004 DSDP handles perfect. I have put 50,000 miles on it, on all types of roads and I am still amazed at how well it handles.
That being said, there are some posts on the forums about DP owner's that complain about handling. So it may just be luck of the draw if your DP handles great or not.
You will definitely want to test drive one, particular on narrow 2 lane roads, before you buy.
Tom, Pat and Buster (the Boston terrier)

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We had a 2004 Allegro Bus 40DP. Huge improvement over our 33' Suncruiser. The extra weight, wheelbase, and air-ride suspension made a big difference. But the we drove a tag axle coach. Again, a HUGE difference. The tag axle coach was like riding on rails and many times we have to look at nearby trees when driving to see that the wind is blowing hard.

We were initially concerned about length though and now that it's over we found that the extra 2' doesn't hurt one bit. There's maybe two campgrounds that we ever stayed at where a 40 footer fit but the 42 didn't. In that case we just parked the Jeep sideways in front of the Bus rather than end-to-end.

I think you'll find that most RVers who went with a tag probably won't go back. Just one more thing for you to think about when choosing an RV.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Try RV Ratings for motorhomes, fifth wheels, trailers, toy haulers. RV Consumers Group has very good information and I found it worth a little expense to help me make a sound decision. Ended up buying Country Coach "Inspire" 40. Wheel base is one very important consideration.
05 Inspire
08 Intrigue
2014 Ford Edge
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
DP handling

I found that the big problem with handling on DPs is long rear overhang and fairly light weight. I had a 34' Fleetwood Expedition that would not stay in a single lane in light winds or when being passed by a large vehicle be it truck, bus or RV. No matter what you do to the front end it won't change the handling characteristics of the rig as there is just so much front tire patch on the ground.

I now have a 40' Country Coach Inspire with IRS and even fairly heavy winds only move the rig slightly in the lane with no sudden jerks or necessary corrections. Handling could not be better short of the big bus conversions.

In other words, look to the wheelbase for comfort and control no matter what size the coach.
PASODAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
It's been my experience that most handling problems are driver induced, over correction which leads to more over correction. Unless you are going to hit something or go off the road, light corrections over a longer distance will keep the tail from wagging the dog. JMO
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Thanks to everyone. A friend had an older version of that RV rating CD. Sounds like I should get a copy. Small investment for big investment.

Glad to hear the Dutch Star and Inspire handle well. I am looking at both.

Thanks again, Tom
Tom & Judy
04 GMC Envoy XL
Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Save your money on RV Consumers Group. They don't drive the MHs or trailers they rate and the wheelbase to length ratio is only one of several factors that determine handling. My ratio is just a little under 0.5 and my handling is great on my 36' DP.
Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
Freightliner Owners Club
The only way to tell how a coach will handle is to drive it; but longer wheelbased MHs in the 30K lb range usually handle pretty well. That being said, I'd stay with the companies that are still solvent - Tiffin, Newmar, and Winnebago. At the recent Winnebago Grand National Rally, among the 1200+ MHs there were many that were 20 years old. They still could get parts and service at the Winnebago factory. I'm sure Tiffin and Newmar could do as well. Whether or not you'll be able to get parts for a Travel Supreme, Roadmaster chassis, or other orphans in the future is questionable.
Fulltiming in a 2006 Ellipse 40FD

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Dont let Travel Supreme being out of business keep you from buying a truly great coach! About the only parts that are unique to the T.S. are the end caps and Jayco kept the molds for those so it should not be a problem getting parts for as long as anyone wants to get them. The Spartan chasis, appliances, lights, trim etc are all made by someone else. Any good cabinet maker can replace or repair any of the woodwork so really there is not a big worry about parts. AND the bonus is that these orphans can be bought a LOT cheaper than those still in business. All things being equal, we would all prefer to have a coach that could be serviced by the manufacture, however, not all things are equal, the PRICE being way cheaper gives you a lot of incentive to put up with what ever hassle you might encounter getting and installing parts. AND as long as there are still a couple of very good service centers in Elkhart owned and operated by Travel Supreme experts there will be no hassles getting them serviced. Just my experience and 2 cents. Good Luck with your purchase, AND I really recommend the Travel Supreme tag, it handles like a dream. Gene
2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #13
Habdling Our 38' Dutch Star DP

Our first coach was a 36' Infinity gas on a P30 Chevy chassis. Even not so big trucks passing us on the highway knocked us around. I had to add a steering stabilizer!

When we upgraded to our '98 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis everything changed. The air bag suspension makes the coach ride like a luxury car. The air brakes have great stopping power AND the exhaust brake makes slwing down effortless.

Occasionally, on the interstates, I make very small steering corrections when a tractor-trailer passes us.

At 27,000 lbs GVWR wind (for us) has not been a factor.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
Our first MoHo was a Southwind loved it, but all over the place when trucks blew by. Got DP and the ride has been great.
Now having said that, there are very little strong winds in the Eastern part of this great Country of ours, but in the Western part we hit some really strong gust of wind that "Said slow down or pull over" even the 18 wheelers were going under 40 mph. Some areas have wind socks every mile or so to let you know direction and some idea how hard the wind is blowing.
Couple of areas also have dust storms as bad as white out in snow.
Bottom line is you must adjust your speed to the conditions.

2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote