Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1

DP Inspection

OK....So lets say you've researched as much as you can about a used DP... and are looking at one you might buy...you did the test drive ...crawled all over it...ran the slides in and out...tested all the systems...as best the average RVr can...it has minor issues here and there that are not deal breakers.... you want to have the engine, transmission and chassis checked out by a reputable shop. It's a Freightliner/Cummins/Allison. What are the minimum tests/inspections one should have done to avoid, as much as possible,,,,costly mechanical repairs once one drives it off the dealer lot? We are thinking have the dealer drive it to the closest Cummins service center..and/or Freightliner...be there when the coach arrives...... What tests....inspections should one request?
Pusherdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherdiva View Post
OK....So lets say you've researched as much as you can about a used DP... and are looking at one you might buy...you did the test drive ...crawled all over it...ran the slides in and out...tested all the systems...as best the average RVr can...it has minor issues here and there that are not deal breakers.... you want to have the engine, transmission and chassis checked out by a reputable shop. It's a Freightliner/Cummins/Allison. What are the minimum tests/inspections one should have done to avoid, as much as possible,,,,costly mechanical repairs once one drives it off the dealer lot? We are thinking have the dealer drive it to the closest Cummins service center..and/or Freightliner...be there when the coach arrives...... What tests....inspections should one request?
You didn't mention how old it is or how many miles are on it, you might want to have an oil sample sent off for analysis.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Call the Freightliner dealer and ask what service they offer and the cost of the pre-purchase inspection. Then decide what you do not want them to do.

At minimum, I would want all fluid leaks identified and computer codes pulled and analyzed. Oil analysis would be great if not recently changed. The frame and running gear would need to be inspected for damage.

Freightliner is smarter than I am about the chassis and drive train so I would take their direction given the potential cost exposure if failures are purchased.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

I would have samples taken from the engine, transmission and cooling system and sent to a lab recommended by the Cummins Dealer.
Have the drive train/engine checked by Cummins and ask to have at least one front brake drum removed for inspection (if it is an older coach with drum brakes). I had 3 shops do a brake inspection and all said they were good.
finally because they were squealing, I asked another shop to remove the drums for inspection and sure enough, $3000 later, I have what I thought I had in the first place.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I agree. I am not a MH owner yet, but I manage a fleet of large diesel engines. Oil sampling is only good on 1st sample to show extraordinary wear of an internal components that may be about to fail. (which is your goal) It may also show signs of coolant contamination that is deadly at high levels. However, it could show contaminants that may /may not be due to excessive wear. The true test is repetitive sampling at consistent intervals. This establishes a baseline to judge whether the wear is excessive or normal or possibly the oil change went beyond it's change interval. We get many samples reports that state " Soot levels high. Change oil and continue to monitor". If you take samples, take one from the tranny and all drives as well.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

It is a 2006 with 30,600 miles...
Pusherdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #7

As pointed out by Scotty, fluid samples are a real good regular maintenance item but in the case of buying a new rig, you will be concerned with contaminants like excessive wear metals, glycol contamination (sign of leaking head gasket or liner seals) that could give you an expensive surprise down the road.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #8

So I would make your wish list with the dealer on the "house" items that you want repaired.
If you are not buying some type of extended warranty plan, then negotiate into your deal a time frame in which you can bring the unit back to the dealer to have items addressed after you have had a opportunity to use the motorhome. You will discover more stuff once you use it a few times!

Check tire dates.
How old are the chassis and house batteries.

As far as the engine and tranny, and chassis go, if you want it independantly inspected then give it the once over;

Coolant and oil leaks
Hoses and belts
Download any outstanding fault codes
Inspect the air/levelling system
Check the brake chambers, check the brake lining remaining.

Treat it as a safety inpection and they should catch any issues.

Finally, unless you have bulletproof maintenance documents I would feel most comfortable if your "reset" the service items.....

Oil and filter
Air Filter
Air Dryer
Trans fluid and 3 filters
Belts
(Cover the generator too)

Negotiate these general maintenance items with the dealer before you purchase.

After we purchased our current tag coach I went on to check all wheel bearings, replace the tag hub fluid, replaced the differential fluid, flushed and replaced the engine coolant and the list goes on and on.

I use the old saying my dad told me years ago:
"the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know!"

Good Luck and enjoy your search!
Old 11-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

Commercial Member

Send a message via AIM to hzjcm8 Send a message via MSN to hzjcm8 Send a message via Yahoo to hzjcm8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherdiva View Post
Pusherdiva,
I thought you may be interested in reading this technical paper on oils and oil analysis. You can find more detailed info on the Allison forum under "Former Allison Transmission Fluids Engineer"

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/d...ical_sheet.pdf
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check the maintenance records...has it been serviced regularly?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote