Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Once you go past 40' ... your size will affect your choices. How large of an impact depends on where you're at and the types of parks you like to stay. In some cases, the impact is that you'll need to call for reservations (rather than using online tools). Seems like some of the reservation systems simply don't give you an option for coaches longer than 40'.

We're at 44' ... and yes, have found a few instances where the park we called couldn't accommodate our length. However, it's only happened a couple of times - and has proven not to be much of a problem. We simply found the next closest "dot" on the Allstay's app - and stayed there instead.

Just an opinion - but, as far as I'm concerned - when you're talking full timing and looking for a coach anywhere near (or beyond) the 40' mark - it's ALL about the net carrying capacity. Seems like many coaches that are at/near/a little past the 40' mark without a tag axle have a "net carrying capacity" that can be limiting. So far we've been happy to deal with the occasional "we can't fit" issue associated with our length - than constantly have to worry about bumping up against a coach's "net carrying capacity" limitations. The sticker on our door says we've got an NCC of 6,772 lbs. Having the extra space and the carrying capacity to use it was worth it to us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #16

After awhile, you will discover that either coach will be the same height and width, which are more limiting than total length. My coach is 40' but if I had to go to 42' -43' to get a tag axle that's what I would do.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:12 AM   #17

We're looking for a coach and have been limiting our search to the 40 footers. We plan on 2-4 months at a time on the coach, though not full time, it's close. Now I'm opening up our search for slightly larger coaches because I really want a bath and a half and more options become available in this floor plan.

From what I've heard the tag is nice for stability and CCC but many many folks do fine with 40 footers without a tag. So for us I've redone our search criteria on rvtrader to include 43 footers but ultimately we'll buy the floor plan and builder we like and not worry about the size.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #18

This is another one of those posts that gets you only two choices. Some are fine with 40' and no tag and others are happier with 43' and a tag. We had two 40' coaches that were ok. I say just ok, because the steer axle was close to the maximum load and the drive axle was overloaded when I pulled an open trailer. I thought that was doable and absolutely did not "Need" a tag but inside I had always wanted one. The DW knew that and told me to just buy one and see. I did and will never go back to a non tag coach. Big improvement in ride comfort and a huge difference in cross winds and semi's passing. That makes a difference at the end of the day, as I'm just as relaxed at the end as when we started. Our 43' turns as tight or tighter than our 40's did. Inside storage is greater, but the basement is about the same as a 40' non tag.

Now you have one more opinion. However, none of these opinions should matter. It's not our choice to make. I've never owned a home that we wished was smaller. The same applies to the eight motor homes we have owned.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our 42 (43') has the third A/C which I could not imagine being without in the South in Summer. The rest has already been covered.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I'm guessing here, but when talking 40' vs 43' most of the differences regarding where you'll fit is going to be about how well you drive as much as anything else.

Nobody is going to come rushing out of the guard shack and measure your coach.....
That depends on where you travel, The Canadian ferry system DOES actually measure your length, anything over 60'(measured total length w/towed) increases the price.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We chose to go with a 40' DP. We had pulled a 36' 5er for 10 years and wanted a DP with about the same amount of floor space. We were lucky to find one with the perfect floor plan for us. That is very important!

Also, anything over 40' will normally have a tag axle which I did not want because of the extra cost when replacing tires!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #22

A few one liners!)

> I'd take a 42/43' with tag, one a 40' non tag.

> I'd choose floor plan and CCC over 40' vs 42/43', as long as the 40' has a tag.

> While Twogypsies is correct that you will find some locations that a 40' will fit, that at 42/43' won't. I'd still go with whichever floor plan fit our living needs the best.
(Many times we'll stay in a location, and Toad to other locations on day trips to see things that we could not fit even our 40' coach into. And that's OK with us.)

> 40' vs 42/43', all with tags, will usually get you either 1/2 or 1 full extra bay with the larger coaches. Inside livability, and storage, really is just too dependent on the coach interior design. I've been in many coaches, up to 45', that had less interior storage space then our 40'.

> Number of slides, can sometimes have more of an impact on where you can stay, then length. (We purposely choose a coach with only two slides, Drivers side, as two or three of our favorite campgrounds had very narrow campsites.

> 40 - 42/43' length coaches, just are not going to allow access to many boon docking sites. Many times it is the bottoming out over small hills in the roads, between the Steers and Drive, that can be a limit. We, like many here, do boon dock with our 40'. I do the best I can to choose sites that reduce the travel on dirt roads as possible. But that is my choice, as many others take their larger DP's way down those dirt roads, and even off road. (This is my choice, as this is our home away from home, and even going slow, the coach chassis and house can take a beating on dirt roads. Plus on our coach, the air intake to the air canister, is right next to the ground, and behind the rear right tag. So dirt traveling tosses dust up from the right side drive/tag.

OP - Keep doing what your doing. Researching the input from many of these veterans (And compared to many on this board, I consider my wife and I just above rookie stage after 12-13 years of RV'ing!)

Do your Pro's vs Con's list, and then go get your rig and get out and have some fun!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #23

DP Length

We are F/T in a 43+tag and don't sit still for long, which means lots of miles on good roads and bad.
If you are guessing about an extra 2 or 3 feet, don't EVER test drive one with a tag.
The extra perks of more a/c etc are just part of the package.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #24

Should I buy my pants too big or too small? Neither! Buy the Rv that fits you right. Walk some floor plans. Sit in them for 1/2 hour. Does it feel cramped? We just moved from a 18oo sq/ft house into a 39' and we don't feel cramped. But that is us. Others may go stir crazy. Visit a big dealer with lots of models , spend as much time as needed to get the feel of what YOU need.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've found that I can put my 45' rig into almost any spot the 40' DSDP would fit. Better front axle turn angle and lifting tag make it work.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've found that I can put my 45' rig into almost any spot the 40' DSDP would fit. Better front axle turn angle and lifting tag make it work.

On the other hand, I can't get into many sites a 40 would fit ... but I don't have a lifting tag. And, even if I can get in, the toad won't fit (even crosswise). That said, I like the 45 and can always find another campground.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Yup!
I slide my rig into sites and have an audience of wide-eyed believers every time.
I recommend that everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!

When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #28

full time rig

I have a 40' unit with 400 ISL Cummins...........its ok , if I was full timing and piggy bank permitted , It would be 45' with as much HP as I could get. JMHO
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel