Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowlby View Post
5. We love National Parks but size restrictions for entry (won't be a deal breaker.)
Over 1/2 of the sites in National Parks are at least 40 feet long.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #30

The most entertaining campground moment this summer was a guy trying to get his 45' Newell with a steerable tag into a HUGE pull through site. It took him at least 10 minutes, with a full array of gawkers trying not to laugh (too much).

He provided an encore presentation when he left, trying to pull out.

We figured his driver had the week off.............

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
The most entertaining campground moment this summer was a guy trying to get his 45' Newell with a steerable tag into a HUGE pull through site. It took him at least 10 minutes, with a full array of gawkers trying not to laugh (too much).

And he had never glanced at the CDL manual.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #32

You mentioned work camping...size is rarely an issue for work campers as they usually provide an over sized site...even in State Parks. Be aware that some states draw a line at 40'. California for example, requires a special or regular class A license to operate over 40'. They also have a lot of rural state roads that have a 40' maximum single vehicle length. Can't imagine why anyone would want to go to California anyway.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
You mentioned work camping...size is rarely an issue for work campers as they usually provide an over sized site...even in State Parks. Be aware that some states draw a line at 40'. California for example, requires a special or regular class A license to operate over 40'. They also have a lot of rural state roads that have a 40' maximum single vehicle length. Can't imagine why anyone would want to go to California anyway.

Assuming you are a resident of California that's true. Residents of other states must comply with the licensing of their home state.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Had very little or nothing to do with the steerable tag. Perhaps he was inexperienced or super careful.

If you look at the promotional material carefully Spartan compares their passive steering tag to a non lifting tag. If you look at the Freightliner information they compare to an undisclosed competitor which could mean anything. Pure marketing hype IMO. The bit of tires a steerable tag saves is offset by the aging out of the tires rather than wear. If I am going to replace the tires it would be nice to see some wear on them!

If you dump the tag (if you have a dump) the effective turning radius of the coach for all practical purposes will be the wheelbase and the steering cut.

As a side note I will hazard a guess that in addition to providing all of the entertainment he did not crunch any of the body work. I really do not care if I provide entertainment. That is free but bodywork costs.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #35

45' Newell

My apologies for straying from the topic ........
But I felt compelled to make this post. The gentleman was probably being extra cautious and having difficulty getting his Newell parked to the delight of a group of "gawkers" absorbing much satisfaction and entertainment at his stress / embarrassment. Did any of the monkeys that probably looked like dogs eating peanut butter offer to help , like perhaps guide him in ?? I certainly hope during this 10 minute ordeal there was a decent fellow Rv'r that stepped up. Isn't it more or less code to help your fellow man ??
Old 09-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #36

Quote:

He will no doubt get better at maneuvering his beautiful coach with time, but I bet no one watching him will ever own a new Newell..........He probably paid cash for it too.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Had very little or nothing to do with the steerable tag. Perhaps he was inexperienced or super careful.

As a side note I will hazard a guess that in addition to providing all of the entertainment he did not crunch any of the body work. I really do not care if I provide entertainment. That is free but bodywork costs.
Gordon, I have greatly valued your perspective here since we joined, and of course you provided a very logical explanation. But, beleive me, this site was so big, and the road wide enough, you couldn't have hit anything going in or out of it if you tried.

Very simple, this guy had no business drivng a 25' ClassB much less a 45er. Unfortunately, he isn't the only one..........

I sure hope he had a driver that regularly drove the rig for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
He will no doubt get better at maneuvering his beautiful coach with time, but I bet no one watching him will ever own a new Newell..........He probably paid cash for it too.
You mean his "company" paid cash for it...... and the Lear that he usually flys in on, after his driver drops off the coach. All of course are "business expenses"............. I'm well aware of how the game it played.

Given where we were which was reasonably close to one of the very high end ownership resorts, where mega buck coaches, paid drivers, and arrival by Lear is fairly common, my cynical assumptions are not necessarily unreasonable.

My guess was he was "summering" at his site the ownership resort, and decided to drive to where we were on his own as a side trip, which would not be an unreasonable thing to do, other than this guy shouldn't be driving the coach.

It would be easier if I spelled out where we were, but I don't want to incriminate anyone.......
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #38

You mean his "company" paid cash for it...... and the Lear that he usually flys in on, after his driver drops off the coach. All of course are "business expenses"............. I'm well aware of how the game it played.

If your assumption is correct, then more power to him. He is not only successful enough to own a Newell, but owns the company and a Lear as well. You may be right. Maybe he should not be driving a large MH, but who was the first experienced spectator to walk over and ask if he wanted any assistance? Would he have gotten as much attention if he had been in a 15 year old 45' Monaco Signature? Or was it the Newall?

FWIW, I have always thought that anyone operating a large RV should be required to take a CDL class and get certified. Yet, we hear of very few RV accidents caused by an unqualified operator.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #39

At 40 feet a tag axle will limit your basement storage space. Due to front axle limitations the tag may NOT have a usable CCC over a non-tag coach.

CCC even with a tag axle doesn't tell the whole story. You really need to ensure that both the front and rear axles will not be overloaded with your intended usage.

For full time, make sure the axles will not be overloaded for your stuff. Some coaches have a front axle that doesn't allow for a lot of "stuff" to be carried in the coach.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the crux of the matter is who offered to help him and was the help declined. I have met many wonderful people by going over and offering to keep an eye on the clearance.

I have only been turned down emphatically by one fellow who did provide much entertainment. However he stoically kept at it until he finally got his unit where it belonged. He turned out to be a nice guy who just wanted to "do it himself".
Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #41

Quote:

My guess was he was..........
So....you don't really know this for a fact, right?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #42

Quote:

Wow..just ran across your hilarious story..we had one kinda like it 2 years ago..

We were up in Washington State...pulled for the night in Ellensburg at the local KOA..got all set up and pulled out the Traeger to start smoking some chicken..which can take some time..

As we were sitting out..saw a 42' DP (non-tag) come rolling through..as it turns out he was to face opposite of us..watched this guy for a good 10 minutes (like your guy) and he was having a problem on where to turn it and get it on the site to level..

The biggest difference in stories though..is that I went up to him and asked if he needed some help spotting in for hook-ups..by the time I got to his side door..I could see he was in near breakdown mode...probably around 70 years old to boot..

Jeez..not as funny as your story..but...he had lost his wife of 40+ years about 18 months prior..this was his first time back out to see if he could do it..she always jumped out of the coach and spotted him in..this was their favorite spot to be.

We got him all set in and connected...had him for dinner and over the course of the next 2 days we were there..made a lasting friendship and support outlet for him if needed.

We speak with him to this day, every month or so..just so we know how he is doing..he says he is doing great..and has met a ton of supportive RV folks to help him through his journey...obviously he hasn't run across you yet..

So..as you sit there in your 31' Gasser..please do not pass judgement on those in the 45' Newell's...they may just be having a tough day !

Tags
class a, diesel