Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #15

Wish I'd had these options. I found out I had the option to take ownership my father's Class A diesel pusher with 7 weeks left on his registration (and $1300 to renew it). I had to go to the first CDL school I could find to finish the course and get my Class B CDL in time to get the RV and bring it to my home state of Pennsylvania before the Georgia registration ran out.

On the other hand, I now have a commercial license, not a non-commercial Class B, which actually helped me get a new job. And having to drive the school's truck (with a double-clutched 10-speed manual) in city rush-hour traffic was good experience, plus they taught all the details (hands-on) of testing the air-brake system and all the other things on a big diesel rig that a driver should know. Would have been nice not to have to shell out $3300 in non-tax-deductible tuition for the 4-week (5 nights a week) course, though.
apavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
X3 (or x4) on RV School. They have instructors located around the country.

I would recommend the person who taught me and my wife but he and his wife are in Alaska for the summer.

They aren't cheap, but the quality of the instruction makes it a worthwhile investment.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
Camping World offers a driving school. They apparently have a short course and a longer, more advanced course. The longer one takes an appointment. I believe both are free.
I think it depends on the Camping World. My local CW does not offer classes. There is one CW I visited in Alabama that had a banner offering classes.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #18

I got my CDL A at Central Tech in Drumright Ok. They also offer an RV class. They have about 2 or 3 miles of two lane roadway with curves, intersection and railway crossings on their property. Their instructors are certified by the state and are state examiners. They gave us all the written test and issued our learner permits and then went on the road. It was a great experience.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote