Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #15

After our recent "check engine light" experience add watching your oil pressure when using your engine brake along with engine and tranny temps. As i have learned when your engine brake engages you are diverting a lot of engine oil to the brake mechanism.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I own a 2002 Monaco Windsor, 38' but it's go the full steel cage construction so it is HEAVY. I have a 350 ISC with an exhaust brake. I pull a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I usually don't have any trouble traveling in the mountains, the exhaust brake does a good job but you do have to watch to make sure you don't start gaining speed. If I do I usually pulse the brakes to bring the speed back down (my wife is always helping me also)

X2! Just don't let the speed get ahead of you! If you let it get too fast, the exhaust brake won't hold it back! I try to not let my speed get above 35 going down a steep grade.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #17

There is a reason most truckers are in the climbing lane with their emergency flashers on driving 25-35 mph going up and down steep grades. I finally figured this out and got in line with them after having to pull over several times to let the engine cool down. I now fall in line, down-shift and keep my speed down and RPM's up. Go down the other side at same speed as going up using the PAC brake. No more over-heating or frayed nerves.

By the way, I would go from to Durango over to Cortez and then up through Dolores over Lizard Head pass. I won't go over Red Mountain Pass in my rig pulling a toad!. Just my preference.

WM
Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I never worry about it. We just pick an interesting route and follow it till another comes along. Hills going up, let the transmission do its job, Hills going down use the engine/exhaust brake. Most of all, enjoy the ride.

Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp 3126 Cat, 140k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
". I can pull most of the mountain grades in 6th gear and the engine never shifts down. I did this on a trip from Arkansas to California on I40 Through some pretty steep mountains. On the way back I traveled through North California and traveled accross the mountains around Lake tahoe. My engine had more than enough power to pull in 6th gear."

Wow! That must be some kind of motor and transmission setup to do mountains in 6th gear
Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #20

I went over Wolf Creek Pass last summer and no problem. I let the transmission decide on the uphill gear, while keeping an eye on the temps and down shifted as needed and used the engine brake going down - the low shuts off fuel to half the cylinders and the high to all cylinders. I used the one I needed to get the speed I wanted and not sure if I even used the brakes. Not sure how you're getting from Durango to Steamboat and although some do, I would never drive a MH on the million dollar highway, especially the leg from Silverton to Ouray - it was scarey enough in the car.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
". I can pull most of the mountain grades in 6th gear and the engine never shifts down. I did this on a trip from Arkansas to California on I40 Through some pretty steep mountains. On the way back I traveled through North California and traveled accross the mountains around Lake tahoe. My engine had more than enough power to pull in 6th gear."

Wow! That must be some kind of motor and transmission setup to do mountains in 6th gear
Actually i think there are a lot of DP with 400 hp and larger engines that have the ability to do that. Did it go up all of the mountains in 6th gear ? No but the ones that i had a clear run at on the interstate it had no trouble pulling them as far as power went. I had to downshift many times to 5th a few times to 4th and even as low as 3rd but it was not because of power issues but because the temp gauge was going up. I know my unit has a known issue with cooling. But the manual is very clear about having to downshift to keep RPMS up for cooling purposes. You can find a lot of posts on this forum about it also.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Driving the unit in a measured reasonable way keeping within its capabilities will get you to your destination. IMO there are many who load their units up and "put their foot in" to get to their destination quickly and in doing so will create situations where the unit is doomed to fail.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
dons2346

Me thinks those are the same coaches that always average 15+ MPG and never break down.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #24

Lloyd
Congratulations on your new coach
This is for a 2006 Presidio but I believe the owners manual is the same.
Enjoy your new coach. If you pass through Jacksonville, Fl give us a wave
http://thormotorcoach.com/image/data...ers_Manual.pdf
Old 04-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I went over Wolf Creek Pass last summer and no problem. I let the transmission decide on the uphill gear, while keeping an eye on the temps and down shifted as needed and used the engine brake going down - the low shuts off fuel to half the cylinders and the high to all cylinders. I used the one I needed to get the speed I wanted and not sure if I even used the brakes. Not sure how you're getting from Durango to Steamboat and although some do, I would never drive a MH on the million dollar highway, especially the leg from Silverton to Ouray - it was scarey enough in the car.
If you have a Jake brake, it doesn't shut-off fuel. It works on the valve train. It opens the exhaust valve at TDC on the compression stroke to avoid the "spring-back" effect of compression. Low uses three cylinders and high uses all six. The ECM also commands increased turbo boost to enhance the compression braking effect.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=gemini5362;2533623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
When going up hills watch your engine temp. and if it starts climbing too high manually shift down. You probably won't need to as the engine will usually manage that itself.

I totally disagree with this statement. Read your engine manual or download it if you do not have it. I have a 2005 allegro bus with the 400 ISL engine and pull a 2012 buick enclave which is a fairly heavy car. I can pull most of the mountain grades in 6th gear and the engine never shifts down. I did this on a trip from Arkansas to California on I40 Through some pretty steep mountains. On the way back I traveled through North California and traveled accross the mountains around Lake tahoe. My engine had more than enough power to pull in 6th gear. HOWEVER> The temp would not do it. I had to manually shift down on almost every mountain sometimes 2 gears. In order for your engine to run cool at high elevations in high temperatures you have to keep your engine at Maximum RPMs to move more water through the radiator or some reason. It is very common to read about on here. When I went on my first trip I did not know about this and when traveling up the pass on the other side of the desert my engine started getting hot and i pulled over to see what was wrong. The engine cooled down almost immediately and I started again only to have the same thing happen. I tried downshifting and the engine started cooling down. When I got over the pass to a rest stop I took the manual out and saw that it said to do that. I finished my trip that way. The point i am trying to make is if you have to downshift to keep the engine cool it is normal.

The engine brake advice is right on. No matter how big the mountain I was going down I just put the engine brake on and let my engine just idle me down to the bottom it works perfectly. I think it is one of the biggest advantages over the 5th wheel that i found when i changed from a 5er to the DP.
That is why I said you should watch you engine temp. and shift down if you need to.
My coach I very rarely have ever down shifted manually as it manages it itself. Some do some don't, just common sense!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow truck driver working the 8% graded Powder River Pass in Wyoming said to descend the hill in the same gear it took to get up the hill or risk burning up your brakes. If you can't hold your speed with just your engine, stab the brakes and downshift once you dump some speed. And remember, there always seems to be a tight curve at the bottom. Don't worry about traffic behind you at 25 mph if that is what it takes.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That ISL and 3000 will laugh at those grades. You've got all the power you'll need. I've climbed both sides of the Rockies and decended them towing. I only have an exhaust brake. It doesn't break a sweat. Just watch both Temps and you'll be just fine. I'm 34,000lbs gcvw.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, engine, motorhome, motorhomes