Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #57

Great info Joe! Thanks. Helps my thought on this also.
Good question, was going to post this info this evening, glad you asked about prelubing.
To crank engine with out starting on my 2000 Discovery, I unplug fuel pump relay. I do this every time I start engine if sitting more than a week. Lubes engine especially turbo which comes up to about 10000 rpm right away, also gets any moisture out of cylinders, very bad for a diesel due to high press in cylinder. Mine is located under the engine cover in rear bedroom. Standard 4 pin, pool stick chalk sized 1"x1" black square relay. Lift bed board and then engine cover and it is mounted on pass side of opening right were the engine is. I unplug it, crank engine over a few times, up to 30 seconds each time and then quickly plug in and start engine. Or you can fill new filter with new oil before installing. Even read where one RVer put plug in center hole of filter, this is where filtered oil comes out of filter and added oil would only go into small holes that are towards outside. Thus oil being poured into filter would be filtered. Good idea but that is being really careful.
If relay not accessible maybe you could locate fuse or pump relay outside. Got relay location from Fleetwood or Freightliner electric schematic.
Kelly
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #58

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonetrooper View Post
Good question, was going to post this info this evening, glad you asked about prelubing.
What engine do you have, CAT or Cummins???
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #59

Cummings 5.9. Can't remember if the Cat 3126 has a manual shut off lever right on the governor/fuel injection distributor or a wire on injection system. You migh try turning key on and off, not starting engine, and watching or listening on top of engine or around it for movement or relay engaging. My early Cummings 5.9 is mechanical injection, the fuel injectors are not electronically controlled but have individual fuel lines going to each cylinder from a central distributor.. All you need to do is shut off fuel to engine. Not by unhooking fuel lines or taking off filters, air is very hard to get out of fuel lines, but by stopping fuel pump or putting governor in no fuel. If you can find fuel pump relay but not in easy spot to get to you could wire in a toggle or cut off switch. Many construction type machined have these in addition to keyed ignition to prevent theft. I can't think of how my fuel pump or injection system is controlled at the moment, and where is my schematic? Might be a little trial and error involved if you're not sure and feeling adventerous.. Pull a fuel system related fuse or relay and try to start engine. Turning over engine with no fuel going to it is not harmful to the engine.
As I'm sure you know, just be cautious when messing with pulling relays. I only do this because I know what the relay I am disconnecting does, it kills the power to the fuel pump, nothing else.
Any question will try to help.

Kelly
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #60

Triple E Owners Club
No question at this time but I do thank you.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
for those who have done the anlaysis in the past, any good or bad experience with any particular company that does them. It is that time of the year, and maybe I will try the anlayisis this time. I only put on about 5000 - 6000 miles ayear rigth now.

Speedco does an oil analysis for you on your old oil for an additional $15 or so.

When you have subsequent oil analysis the printout will give you your prior results for comparison.

Dave
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #62

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Joe, may I ask what oil and filter you use? Synthetic??

Your TBN is a great number. Last July I had a very low TBN, 4.2, so I went to drain my oil and filter. When I pulled the filter off it was empty. HUH???? Turned out that something was wrong in my oil filter mount and the oil was being bypassed.

I have no idea how long it had been this way but the filter had been installed for one year.

The CAT shop fixed the problem installed a new filter not the oil. They wanted me to wait for about four months and take another test. That four months will be in about 4 weeks. Will post back and let you know if a new filter took care of it.
Man Joe was I blowing smoke. I looked at my last analysis and I don't have a TBN. My problem was the Oxidation. That was at 42, max 25. Anyway I took her in today to get another sample, I will know by Tuesday if the new filter took care of it.

I also found out that I have been using the wrong filter. When I bought this motor home, used, I did a cross reference of the NAPA filter so either I entered the wrong number or it came with the wrong filter.

The CAT shop has me all straighten out now, I hope, and I will just have to wait and see.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #63

Entegra Owners Club
Smile

Where is Speedco located? and can you mail the oil?
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #64

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6CUS View Post
Where is Speedco located? and can you mail the oil?

Speedco

This company will mail you the sample bottle. You take the sample and mail it back.
http://www.oaitesting.com/
Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #65

Triple E Owners Club
Joe, I got back my analysis and it passed. So all I needed to do was change the filter. My oxidation went from 42 down to 17.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had read that train engines never change their oil. I contacted a train driver I know and he confirmed that. They do not change oil on train engines, however they do change the oil filter and that takes a crane to lift it out.
They also do NOT use antifreeze. If the engine is off and the temp drops to close to freezing there is a release assy that drains the cooling system. They do use additives for lubrication, corrosion, etc.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote