Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
DP Oil Change every two years

It was suggested to me that I don't really need to change engine oil every year, just filters. Of course that would be after an oil analysis. Anyone doing this. Wouldn't the oil analysis show if it needed changing??

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #2

All large fleet companies/services i.e. trucking, bus, military, use oil analysis as a base line for oil changes. With the high cost of replacement oils and disposal fees for used lubricants it is a wise business practice to get the maximum bang for the bucks regarding oil change frequencies. Imagine the lube costs when you have hundreds and in some cases thousands of vehicles to maintain.
Cat, as part of their lubrication programs, offers oil sampling kits which provide the user with information on the condition of oils and recommendations as to change or not. With the improvements in filter media, filter only changes are cost effective for everyone. The bottom line is that oil analysis doesn't lie. You have lab supported facts on oil condition. With that in hand you have confidence in a decision to change filters only.

bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Joe,
I for one agree with you but you will get a lot of other opinions to the contrary. The one concern I have is the amount of acid retained by the oil. We have come along way in the refinement of oil(both petroleum and synthetic) fuel, the technology of oil filters and fuel delivery systems that some change is in order.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
It was suggested to me that I don't really need to change engine oil every year, just filters. Of course that would be after an oil analysis. Anyone doing this. Wouldn't the oil analysis show if it needed changing??
I think that it make good sense, BUT it would void my extended warranty which requires an oil change every 15,000 miles or once a year. I don't want to have a warranty problem. I have already used it to the tune of $700 just recently. Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How many miles would that be. In 2 years I have put 24,000 miles on the coach. That is a lot of oil pumping.

Freightliner and Cummins have come up with 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
How many miles would that be. In 2 years I have put 24,000 miles on the coach. That is a lot of oil pumping.

Freightliner and Cummins have come up with 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first.
Wayne, I think Joe is talking about coaches that have low mileage; time frame before the mileage point of needing oil changes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Yes I am in that situation also. I put on under 2000 miles. I had the oil and filter changed in Dec. 09. I plan on Changing it in the fall Of 2011. I hadn't thought about changing the filters. It is now in storage, so maybe in the spring I'll change the filters. Doesn't this sound okay?
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #8

You have a $15,000 engine and you are reluctant to spend under $300 a year?

Fleet users have large budgets to cover maintenance and often carry the expense of in-house mechanics. Most of us don't.

Fuel filters are good until they get clogged, but oil develops acids from moisture and chemical by-products of combustion. It strikes me as a good idea to get rid of those acids at least once a year... and lower mileage probably means more moisture accumulating in the engine.....
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I change mine every 2 years. Usually only have between 6-8K miles in that time. Last changed 3/10 next change will be 3/12
I do it myself. 3/10 cost was $65.55
Has a total of 75K miles in 12 years on it.

I am sure it will probably outlast me.

Both fuel filters at 36 months and Generator oil change, filter at 36 months.

Air Dryer every 48 Months. Due next spring.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Question: is it safe to assume from this discussion that an oil analysis can't reveal the level of "acids" which have built up?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Wayne, I think Joe is talking about coaches that have low mileage; time frame before the mileage point of needing oil changes.
You're right Mike, I run about 6,000 miles a year. When I had the oil analysis done I couldn't see where it would recommend an oil change, how would I know? Guess I need to get smarter. I also need one of those on/off drain valves.

BTW Wayne, Semper Fi my brother.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Yes I have, Yes I do, and will continue. Filter change every year and oil and filter every two years. Yes I do an engine oil analysis every year when I do the change, filter or filter and oil. I use straight synthetic. If the oil analysis comes back good then why change. Just remember, you do need to change the filter regardless.

I have always used Donaldson Filters which have been great, but, I have been talked into using the CAT oil filter. Only a few dollars more so why not.

What gets me are the people, Greenies, that say you have to protect the environment then they dump perfectly good oil every three thousand miles.

With today's technology in the synthetic oils and filters, I find no need in wasting my oil.

I have never had a bad analysis even after the second year. I have thought about trying to move my oil change to three years, but this make me a little nervous.

Don't want to push my luck to far.

I always have CAT do my analysis and they have had zero negaitve comments. They just say keep doing what you are doing.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
You're right Mike, I run about 6,000 miles a year. When I had the oil analysis done I couldn't see where it would recommend an oil change, how would I know? Guess I need to get smarter. I also need one of those on/off drain valves.

I highly recommend the oil drain valve. Great for taking your oil analysis and not making a mess when you change your oil. Well worth the $25.00.

Rick, Yes the oil analysis does show the results for acid. When CAT does my test this is the first thing they look at.

Also, Amsoil is backing up thier claim that if you use their oil with a Donaldson filter you can get up to fifty-thousand miles per oil change for the long haul truckers.

No I am not an Amsoil Dealer.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:

Here's a great source of info on Oil Analysis. This will surely make you and, for that matter, all of us smarter when it come to extending oil change intervals.

Test Diesel Engines For Base Number, Natural Gas Engines For Acid Number

bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote