Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
I'll be interested in the responses, too. Our driving is all highway, EXCEPT, we live 1/4 mile off the highway on a gravel road. That 1/4 mile is enough to coat the engine with gravel dust so thick that I can hardly see it. Washing it is not a good idea, there's just too much sensitive electrical stuff there. When we're slowly driving to the highway, the fans on one side, and the exhaust on the other side are swirling up a hurricane of dust back there so thick you can't hardly see the back of the coach. By the time we hit the highway, the back of the coach is coated top to bottom in gravel dust.
us two except is a 2 mile gravelly paved dusty journey

the rear turns WHITE from the dust by the time i get to the hacienda.

i usually wait to the next day when everything has cooled and wash the rear and sides and radiator opening.

USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Dust, dirt and rocks

This is our route to Alaska. No not a side road. The main highway.

Want dust? The Canadians pave their highways with it. Stone, dust and washboard. I'm amazed at only killing one windshield near Kluane lake with a 2 inch stone. Engine and tranny did not notice anything. Just kept purring along.

We did many miles like this. The dust sticks like cement to everything. Even the most hidden compartment on my scooter was covered.

Had no effect on my gas motorhome. Changed air filter in Anchorage. We mostly dry camp over two month period so washing out the radiator and such wasn't/isn't going to happen.

WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our basement ac unit exhausts downward and can REALLY kick up a lot of dust, so we turn it off when traveling on dirt/dusty roads (as in entering many RV parks). The engine air intake is high on the driver's side rear so we haven't worried about excess dust in that area. We are more concerned about stones, etc getting into the toad if we actually have to drive at normal road speeds on dirt roads. Yep, the rear of the coach ...and the toad ...get covered with dust. Such is life.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #18
This was interesting too

Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I came across this paper about Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Tractor Trailer Trucks. I thought it was interesting reading so I thought I'd share.

I was doing a search for maintenance costs and searched my own posts as well. I came back to this discussion and realized I'd not looked at this. It seems that some of this could be applied to MH usage especially at the rear and tires/chassis. I saved that PDF file but probably won't be conducting any experiments.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #19

Woodydel - Interesting - makes you think the air tabs some companies sell for RV's might pay for themselves in the long run.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #20
WOW! Found the Airtabs site 4% savings in fuel and found the site to buy them.

Aerodynamic Fuel Economy Savers for Road Vehicles

To buy:

Airtab - Airtab® Improve Stability, Reduce Spray, Save Fuel

Less than $9 per lineal foot.

Thanks 1ciderdog and Rjay!

I like stuff like this!

This should be incorporated in the body designs of the MH's.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #21
Found something else! Eco-Flaps.

This is getting to be VERY cool.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #22
Seems like a lot of people are using Airtabs. I never even heard of them till today just by luck.

Doesn't look bad on an RV.
RV Applications: Airtab

Anyone here using them?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Well, I've found all this conversation very interesting. It started with the question of using a DP for dirt trail driving.

My DP is OK for highway use only, and at that I have to be very careful with dipped driveways, intersections, that I don't scrape bottom. Gravel and dirt roads are an absolute no-no, unless I want to spend my entire life washing the coach, and cleaning the radiator, CAC, and if I care how it looks, engine.

Eco-mud flaps. Well. After establishing fuel mileage with our coach, I added solid rubber mud flaps behind the rear wheels. Then, after setting things up for a toad, I added a solid rubber mud flap at the back of the coach. How much did this lower my fuel mileage?

Then I hooked up my toad. Honda Pilot. How much did that lower my fuel mileage?

Well. It's a guess. Flat land towing, I can't tell if there's any difference. Long distance trip, with hills, etc. maybe 1/2 MPG.

But it's a guess.
Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #24
Newmar Owners Club
I do it all the time, usually towing a 18.5 ft boat or my Nissan PU. I just slow way down and enjoy the scenery. Never have suffered any damage or problems, and the first time you will definitely find the areas that need some sort of sealant. The boat or the toad really get dirty, cleaning up after the trip usually takes a little longer than normal, but generally speaking the destination usually very much worth the extra time and trouble.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything"
2008 Newmar VTDP - 3330 - ISBXT 350 Spartan NVS
Toad - 2013 Mini Cooper S or 93 Nissan 4WD PU
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #25
Commercial Member
Monaco Owners Club
We've gone 16 miles down a dirt road (Arizona BLM) to find a beautiful site recommended by a Ranger!! It was pretty dusty and full of ruts, but we were going to stay for 4-5 days so we took our time and it was sooo worth it!
Just take your time and avoid the BIG ruts..... a good air hose wash off will keep the radiator and engine nice and clean. I would not do it all the time, but it sure can handle a few bumps and dust if you use common sense when driving - slow down!

Bernie, Karen & Digbe http://www.RV-Insight.com
Full Timers - SD Tags - Today - North Central USA
2000 Monaco Windsor 38' Diesel Pusher w/250 Scoot
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote