Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #15

Sheesh, I hardly notice a difference in mileage with anything I tow; the dash A/C will make no difference.

Oh, and running the generator has no impact on fuel mileage.....the generator just consumes so much fuel per hour.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #16

I'm with those that say you won't see much of any difference in mileage. The wind and speed is going to affect it more than that little compressor. My previous coach had the 275 ISB and I couldn't tell any difference to speak of. I had the ScanGuage and on instant milage saw maybe a tenth or two mile per gallon difference. At first I watched the milage like a hawk. I figured out that it made no difference, it's going to use what it uses and the only thing you can do about it is park it instead of drive it. Don't stress yourself watching gas milage, it will only decrease your enjoyment. When it needs fuel just fill it up and go on whistling.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

That little compressor is working hard and uses somewhere around 8-10 hp. Say you are using 200 hp to push that big coach through the air and keep the tires turning. So, the a/c adds 10 hp or about 5% to the engine load. If those figures are in your ballpark, figure a 5% drop in fuel economy. Results will vary with the duty cycle of the a/c compressor, road conditions, terrain, engine size, etc. etc.etc. but that should be somewhat close.

Compare to a generator, which typically uses 0.5 gph at 50% load, and 50% of rated watts would run two roof a/c's on most coaches and have plenty left over besides. You only think that genset is wasting fuel cause you can hear it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #18

Actually, it's not so much the compressor, but on side radiator coaches, when the compressor kicks on, the hydraulic fan starts running on high speed. These hydraulic fans can suck up as much as 60 hp. That's why the MPG decreases.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Actually, it's not so much the compressor, but on side radiator coaches, when the compressor kicks on, the hydraulic fan starts running on high speed. These hydraulic fans can suck up as much as 60 hp. That's why the MPG decreases.
Yep, biggest draw is the engine fan being on high.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
5.75 MPG w/o AC. 5.67 with the dash AC
That's pretty low mileage! Our 50,000# Magna towing our Honda Odyssey gets 7.6 according to the VMS and that's with three different drivers over 45,000 miles.
Are you sure your figures are correct?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
5.75 MPG w/o AC. 5.67 with the dash AC
Yes, that is pretty bad mileage. That's about what mine was getting when I discovered the hydraulic fan was in default causing it to run full blast all the time. After finding a broken wire and fixing it, my MPG rose to about 7.5.
It cost me $800 to fix it, but I recouped that in fuel savings last season.
You might want to check and see if your fan is running full speed all the time.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I am often amazed at the things folks worry about.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Hydraulic fan on our coach has nothing to do with the AC. We have a separate fan and radiator on the opposite side of the engine radiator for the AC. Two small electric fans provide the cooling.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #24

"Not enough to ever make me turn it off."
"I am often amazed at the things folks worry about."

Without a doubt, very true statements. If one purchases a D/P motor home and worries about the miniscule cost of running the dash A/C, I'd probably not have purchased the coach, or any coach for that matter. It costs money to be "cool", albeit , again, miniscule. We get 7-8 no matter what so, I'm definitely going to keep cool if and when needed.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've read somewhere that running your in dash air will cost you around 1/2mpg. I run my generator and roof AC unit if it gets so warm that I need to cool down (in the SW now and I definitely need AC). It creates no drag on the engine and will cool you off a sight better as well. In the long run it's more cost effective. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:14 AM   #26

On some automobiles it costs more to roll the windows down than to run the AC. Because of the aerodynamics of the vehicle.
But then a MH is just a box going through the air, not much for aerodynamics...
I run whatever it takes to be comfy... YMWV
mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
"Not enough to ever make me turn it off."
"I am often amazed at the things folks worry about."

Without a doubt, very true statements. If one purchases a D/P motor home and worries about the miniscule cost of running the dash A/C, I'd probably not have purchased the coach, or any coach for that matter. It costs money to be "cool", albeit , again, miniscule. We get 7-8 no matter what so, I'm definitely going to keep cool if and when needed.
Scott
Oh! I finally ran across someone on here that thinks like myself, your all going to die of stomach ulcers the way you worry....smh
Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I don't notice any difference with my 42 DP using dash air.
See how it goes.
CampDaven

I too see no measurable difference in MPG with or without the dash air.
Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp, 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, fuel