Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
"Not enough to ever make me turn it off."
"I am often amazed at the things folks worry about."

Without a doubt, very true statements. If one purchases a D/P motor home and worries about the miniscule cost of running the dash A/C, I'd probably not have purchased the coach, or any coach for that matter. It costs money to be "cool", albeit , again, miniscule. We get 7-8 no matter what so, I'm definitely going to keep cool if and when needed.
Scott
I sure HATE when people hijack a thread with statements such as "You own a DP, you can afford XYZ!" or something to that effect...

We are under 35 and we worry about pennies and nickels and dimes when we can. That is WHY we can afford to own a 40' DP and enjoy it. Most folks in their mid-30s are buying their first pop-up campers and financing them for 10 years.

For those of you with more money than God who enjoy opining on others' financial situations, let's play pretend... If you were given the option of doing "A" or "B" with the end result being equal (i.e. everyone is comfortable and cool) would you choose the more expensive option just because?

That said, I will always choose to be comfortable no matter the cost. But, the intent of my question is to gauge my expectations on our first trip. I shared my past experience with a gasser and didn't know how the A/C compressor on DP works.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #30

[QUOTE=dlaughlin;2563067]I sure HATE when people hijack a thread with statements such as "You own a DP, you can afford XYZ!" or something to that effect...

We are under 35 and we worry about pennies and nickels and dimes when we can. That is WHY we can afford to own a 40' DP and enjoy it. Most folks in their mid-30s are buying their first pop-up campers and financing them for 10 years.

For those of you with more money than God who enjoy opining on others' financial situations, let's play pretend... If you were given the option of doing "A" or "B" with the end result being equal (i.e. everyone is comfortable and cool) would you choose the more expensive option just because?

That said, I will always choose to be comfortable no matter the cost. But, the intent of my question is to gauge my expectations on our first trip. I shared my past experience with a gasser and didn't know how the A/C compressor on DP works.[/QUOT

The A/C in our DP works fine after I did an evac & recharge with the right amount of R13...do not notice a difference in mileage, nor do I worry about it, you purchased a nice Coach, Enjoy!!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
That said, I will always choose to be comfortable no matter the cost. But, the intent of my question is to gauge my expectations on our first trip. I shared my past experience with a gasser and didn't know how the A/C compressor on DP works
The compressor works the same on gas or DP. It pumps freon to cool the MH.

Gas MH probably use more fuel turning the compressor more RPM then a Diesel that turns the compressor at a much less RPM.

With my DP I haven't seen much difference in MPG running or not running the dash AC. There is more of a difference in MPG running 55 MPH and 65 MPH then running 55 MPH with dash AC on or off. On mine the difference is .8 MPG

So running that 40VS a little slower could save enough fuel to make up for the dash AC fuel used.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I am often amazed at the things folks worry about.

+1

Most drive less than 5,000 miles per year. In terms of expenses, fuel is one of the least costs of ownership.

Depreciation and maintenance far outweigh the (relatively) small cost of fuel.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #33
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I can not notice any difference in m.p.g.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #34

I don't know about fuel mileage but I do notice an impact on comfort. We crank the generator & run both A/C's. Gives the generator a work out, we are comfortable while travelling & the coach is nice & cool when we arrive at our destination.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #35

I don't think it adds too much load on a diesel to spin the compressor vs. what is required for a gas engine.

I run the front zone air unit and shut my back bedroom door so I don't need to run the rear zone air unit.

I have had great results from a small fan on the dash blowing on me. I think it's about an eight inch fan blade. I was surprised at how well it worked. I always try the fan first.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #36

I don't notice any mileage difference, however, I stay just as cool with the roof air as with the dash air. But with the roof air the whole coach is cool, not just the cockpit.

What I do notice is to power sap in the hills. Our coach, the AC turns the engine fan on high and it draws 60 HP. This was not an issue on our previous coach that had a separate condenser with an electric fan. 60 HP makes a difference at the start of a 6-8% grade.

So after plenty of experiments, I now start the genny and shut off the dash air. Every trip is awesome.

We put on 10,000 miles a year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I don't notice any mileage difference, however, I stay just as cool with the roof air as with the dash air. But with the roof air the whole coach is cool, not just the cockpit.

What I do notice is to power sap in the hills. Our coach, the AC turns the engine fan on high and it draws 60 HP. This was not an issue on our previous coach that had a separate condenser with an electric fan. 60 HP makes a difference at the start of a 6-8% grade.

So after plenty of experiments, I now start the genny and shut off the dash air. Every trip is awesome.

We put on 10,000 miles a year.
Some proof that the Hyd Fan takes 60 hp, hear say!, How much hp to move the steering wheel...same hyd pump...
Old 05-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Once I decided to use a 7 mpg vehicle, the use of fuel to run AC seemed insignificant over my 5,000 miles per year travel. YMMV
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's pretty low mileage! Our 50,000# Magna towing our Honda Odyssey gets 7.6 according to the VMS and that's with three different drivers over 45,000 miles.
Are you sure your figures are correct?
My statement was a little tongue in cheek, in comparing w/wo dash AC. My trip computer says 6.5. but after 3405 mi, with 30-40 hours of generator use and several nights of Hydro Hot, I used 601 gallons of diesel. Out of 3400 mi, about 3200 of them were in moderate to strong head and cross winds. I was just lucky I guess. The worst mileages below were from long periods of heavy Hydro Hot and generator use.

BTW, my side radiator does not have a hydraulically driven fan. It is belt driven. The belt drives an electronic clutch, on the fan's drive shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuelly 051915_001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	94665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuelly 051915 crop.pdf_001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	94666  

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaughlin View Post
I sure HATE when people hijack a thread with statements such as "You own a DP, you can afford XYZ!" or something to that effect...

That said, I will always choose to be comfortable no matter the cost. But, the intent of my question is to gauge my expectations on our first trip. I shared my past experience with a gasser and didn't know how the A/C compressor on DP works.
I must agree. The topic of this thread is/was "does dash A/C use effect fuel mileage? ", not "Am I a cheap weasel because I'd like to save on fuel costs?"

Some of us are not rich and prefer to save as much on fuel as possible when traveling.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaughlin View Post
Maiden voyage this weekend in our American Tradition 40VS, powered by a 300hp Cummins C8.3.

Our previous coach was a gasser (F53 chassis) and when using the dash A/C, mileage would decrease by about 15% or more, plus the loss of power was noticeable. It was actually more economical to run the generator with roof A/Cs on high and leave the dash air off.

So, should I expect a decrease in mileage with the new coach when running the dash A/C, or is the engine powerful enough that it won't make a difference? Your thoughts are appreciated!
IMHO, the wind, terrain, traffic and your driving speed and style will have a far greater effect on fuel mileage than the dash AC.

We've been full-timing since last August and have driven our coach approximately 25,000 miles so far. Fuel mileage in a large coach simply sucks and there are many variables which can improve and decrease the mileage. Wind, terrain, and speed appear to have the largest effect. Air conditioning and generator use don't even make my list of MPG detractors.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I must agree. The topic of this thread is/was "does dash A/C use effect fuel mileage? ", not "Am I a cheap weasel because I'd like to save on fuel costs?"

Some of us are not rich and prefer to save as much on fuel as possible when traveling.
Thermodynamics dictates that running the dash AC will use more fuel. My read on the comments here was that driving style and other environmental factors make it difficult to see a significant decrease in mileage. The fact that people note that DPs are inherently expensive to operate and AC usage constitutes a a small fraction of operating costs should not be interpreted as people accusing you of being a cheapskate.

Tags
dash, fuel