Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #29

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
In most coaches, you can’t even tell the generator is on a slide...
Attachment 217738
This one is somewhat different and begins with a very low and center dip in the windshield. Then has the hood under that along with two large fog lights below....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW Revolution and Jeep - email Copy.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	217765  
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I had to let that one go for the coach we wanted and if they would have done so, it would have surely ruined the looks of the front end. Not saying I wouldn't prefer it, just not a deal breaker for me.
Ya know though, if the thing has to come out of there for repairs, it'll come out the bottom, just about as easy as one on a slideout.
I don't think so, mine slides out 3' with the push of a button, kind of hard to beat....!
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Took me a little over 2 years to find my Monaco.
The top 3 must have things on my "deal breaker" list,
in no particular order.

Side Radiator, not rear.
Diesel Generator, not Propane.
Air Brakes, not air over Hydraulic.

JMHO.
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDave View Post
I don't think so, mine slides out 3' with the push of a button, kind of hard to beat....!
Yeah, I get it and pretty nice to have.
Just wasn't a deal breaker with all the pluses.

However, I still have to wonder with the one's I've seen, if I would have been able to change out the water temp sensor, without removing it and something that seems to plague these things, after some age gets on them.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #33

I have owned both and never had an issue with overheating on the rear radiator but have hit some questionable temps with my side radiator my my present coach. My point is I really don’t think one is better that the other as for as cooling is concerned. That issue is more about maintenance or lack there of. Now with that said I will only buy a side radiator due to the ease of general maintenance. I had the 4-8mm bolts that held my fan support shear off on my rear radiator Winnebago and I had to have it towed in and repaired at a shop because it was to much to do on the side of the road, it cost me $2200.00. I supplied the bolts and they supplied the replacement coolant, the resort was labor. Plus a lost nights sleep. If it had been my side radiator I now have I could of fixed it on the side of the highway in an hour or so. Big difference when it comes to repairs. The worst thing about a side radiator is the fan drive is usually hydraulic and difficult to work on. They both have their pros and cons.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #34

I saw a post where someone had put his rear radiator on a hing system so he could
swing the radiator out of the way. If I had a rear radiator I would build some kind
of system to do the same
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #35

I just replaced my engine belt on the side of interstate 85, it to about 30 minutes and I was on the road again. Can’t do that with a rear radiator..
Old 09-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
I have owned both and never had an issue with overheating on the rear radiator but have hit some questionable temps with my side radiator my my present coach. My point is I really don’t think one is better that the other as for as cooling is concerned. That issue is more about maintenance or lack there of. Now with that said I will only buy a side radiator due to the ease of general maintenance. I had the 4-8mm bolts that held my fan support shear off on my rear radiator Winnebago and I had to have it towed in and repaired at a shop because it was to much to do on the side of the road, it cost me $2200.00. I supplied the bolts and they supplied the replacement coolant, the resort was labor. Plus a lost nights sleep. If it had been my side radiator I now have I could of fixed it on the side of the highway in an hour or so. Big difference when it comes to repairs. The worst thing about a side radiator is the fan drive is usually hydraulic and difficult to work on. They both have their pros and cons.
We the newer models, I keep seeing a lot of mech. drives on a SR fan and maybe with a Freightliner chassis. However I do have a two speed fluid drive on mine. Hopefully it won't give me any trouble, but in the meantime, I'm trying to find the fluid reservoir and would hate having to resort to one of my manuals for this.....lol
Most likely in the Spartan Book, so might as well dig in, unless someone is quite familiar with it and would like to share.
How about it Rooster and guessing that you had that spare belt on board?
Old 09-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #37

Spartan Chassis
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I had to let that one go for the coach we wanted and if they would have done so, it would have surely ruined the looks of the front end. Not saying I wouldn't prefer it, just not a deal breaker for me.
Ya know though, if the thing has to come out of there for repairs, it'll come out the bottom, just about as easy as one on a slideout.
Have to disagree with that One. Our old coach had a slide our Genset and we had to replace it - That Onan diesel was about 700+ pounds. Slide the drawer out, disconnect the hoses and wiring and an Engine Hoist lifted it right out. Our current one does not have a slide and I decided to upgrade the Gen Set. Had to lift the front of the motorhome off the ground to get it high enough for the Gen to come out, then use jacks and blocks to lower it (and raise the new one back in) - took the better part of 6 hours to do the swap, the slide out one was done in an hour. It's also Much easier to do maintenance on a slide out. Not a deal breaker, but given the option I'll take the slide every time.
DynoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #38

Spartan Chassis
Rexhall Owners Group
My rear radiator story. I bought my Rexhall with low miles (under 25,000) but the lady who had been living in it lived down a dirt road. The radiator fins got completely plugged up with an oily MUDD. Well, in their infinite wisdom, either Spartan or Rexhall decided to weld the cage that holds the radiator and Intercooler in place After they were installed! So it required cutting the cage to get the radiator out (which turned out to be so clogged two different radiator shops could not clean it, and they wanted $1400.00 for a new one. I found the manufacturer and got it for $624.00). We also put an extension on the Slobber tube.

AS for service, I have changed to belt and the idler pulley by standing in the engine compartment between the radiator and the engine and been able to work on it. not ideal, but not that hard.
DynoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #39

Send a message via AIM to Dan Paranick Send a message via MSN to Dan Paranick Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Paranick
Ben, I have owned both. An 05 Monaco DP rear radiator and an 09 Monaco DP side radiator. Both have Cummins engines, 400 and 425 hp. The 05 ran hotter all the time. Always degreasing the radiator and power washing it. Bad road grime and part of it is due to the full mud flap across the back. The 09 was by far superior as far as temp. and radiator never had to be power washed. Additionally, the 05 was 40' about 38,000 gross plus to vehicle and the 09 42' 3 axle, 44,000 gross plus tow vehicle. Both engines are identical with the exception of the fuel pump to boost the power. Hope it helps.
Dan Paranick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #40

Friend has a 2005 Winnebago. Had serpentine belt break on trip, towed to shop (using Coachnet) tow truck broke generator cover on front of RV. Shop replaced serpentine belt, rear radiator. Had to wait till next day to get work done, repair took 6 plus shop hours, drain, R and R radiator and cooling coils. $1,400 for R&R, new rad fluid, serpentine belt, etc. Two days travel time lost . . . Tow was free with coachnet. Generator fiberglass cover yet to be repaired.

He told me story, I checked date serpentine belt replace on our Cat 3126 Dutch Star, side radiator. Went and bought new belt at Advance Auto parts for $26.00, came home, replacement took about 30 minutes, and that's because I had to walk to shop twice to get correct socket and extension. Put old belt in tool box as emergency spare . . .

It was by chance that we bought a coach with a side radiator. Now that I realize what we have, side radiator is high on our list of "must haves" if we buy another coach.

Oh, and friends alternator just went out . . . Guess what? Radiator had to come out says the shop . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #41

It would not be a deal breaker for me. I have rear, no issues to date. Many are on the road running fine. Good luck!
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #42

I don’t own a DP, but I see this question come up often. I also see the common answer is ease of/reduction in cost of maintenance.

I currently own a Newmar gasser, and if I was going to purchase a new Newmar DP the difference between a rear radiator Ventana and a side radiator Dutch Star is about $90,000. So I’d ask myself, is the maintenance cost reduction going to exceed $90,000? I’m guessing not.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator