RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

DP vs 5th wheel

I'm sure this question has been asked lots but I'm asking again. We will begin our fulltime adventurer in Jan. of 2019, God willing. We now have a really nice 35ft 5th wheel. I would really appreciate any of you that have gone from class A to 5th wheel or vice versa to give the pros and cons. We like the idea of being able to pull a jeep behind us and using that for sight seeing instead of our 3500HD Silverado. We would not want a class A over 34 ft. any insight would be appreciated! Thanks TJ

tjsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Hey TJ, hope everything works out.

As you may see in my signature, we have both. lol We just love our King of the Road Royal Villa. The electric patio, all the room the Quad provides with huge slide out rooms and french doors in the living room, desk, fireplace, it all is very spacious and comfortable. We have owned RV's since we were 20 years old, slide in campers to 5vrs for many years.

With the purchase of our 06 Cross Country D/P, we also enjoy it! And as you mentioned even got our Jeep for a toad. D/W and I just wanted to see which we really liked the most and perhaps sell the other. Our 5vr stays on a permanent site we have all landscaped. There are 32 of us that have a site in this private CG. We did pull the 5ver out for our road trips, but now that we have the D/P er, we just use the 5ver as a home base and do our traveling in the Motorhome. We get people asking us all the time if we want to or plan to sell one. Perhaps we will but for now we are enjoying both of them. Probably getting more use out of the D/P and for that reason, we may sell the 5ver.

Having owned both, I have discovered it seems more expensive to own and maintain a D/P. I do most of the work myself, like greasing zerks, oil, filter changes, fluids, the price to do this at a shop is much higher than for a nice 1 ton dully. So you will find you spend more owning a D/P.

For hooking up and unhooking, takes me about 20-30 mins with the 5vr. Either set up or take down. For the D/P takes me about 15 min max.

D/W and I are both in agreement, we like the "travel" portion more in a Motorhome D/P. You are riding in it, great view, if D/W wants to get up, get something she can, even if it is to walk a bit, watch TV, make coffee or go take a nap. If we want to take a nap, just pull in get up and go lay down. If it's raining or snowing... oh well, no big deal. So for that reason the D/P gets our vote. If you said I had to select one to make my home to live in, I think the 5ver would win out. For being highly mobile, frequent stops, short stays, quick get up and go, the D/P fits the bill. But for now, we just enjoy the heck out of them both. It will be interesting to read what the others say who have owned both.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We pulled a 36' 5th wheel for 12 years while we were still working and using it on weekends and a couple of weeks vacation. We pulled it with a Ford F250 diesel truck which I used in my job. We loved it and didn't really want anything else at the time.

After we sold our business and retired, we wanted to do extensive traveling around the country and decided that a Class A would serve us much better. Easier to set up, more comfortable riding, fully self-sufficient so we could overnight at Wal-Marts, etc. We bought the Monaco Windsor in 2012 and are totally happy with our decision.

I said all that to say this. You need to look at how much time you will spend on the road, what the budget will stand not only for the purchase price but the potentially larger maintenance cost, etc. Don't rush in making a decision, but do a lot of tire-kicking. The floor plan should be a top consideration. You will be a lot happier if it meets your needs.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #4

We went back and forth on this question as we are planning on full timing June of '18 we decided on a pusher as the ride and convenience while traveling is much nicer. Dogs have their spaces to ride and they don't have to be in a crate like in the backseat of the truck.
It is a tough decision but hopefully we chose correctly for us.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
This is an oft asked question. My choice was a DP. If you are travelling to a place and will spend extended time there (more then a month) then the 5er will fit your needs. However, if you are picking up and moving often and travelling a lot then the DP has the advantage. The convenience of having the bathroom onboard ease to get to the fridge and short stop convenience. For us we knew the DP was the right choice and more comfortable while driving.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

Expected answers on a motor coach forum.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As FatChance said. So, just for fun, you should post this on the 5er forum. See if answers lean 5er.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #8

We went truck and 5th wheel..........and for 7 years we traveled some place new weekly all over the USA

If tow vehicle needed repairs...we still had our 'home'
If our home needed repairs we still had our truck and could stay in motel
BUT Only ONE engine/drive train to maintain

I like a truck, she likes a truck and our dog had the whole backseat
WE really like our 5th wheel....34' 3 slides

And I am a big guy...fit in truck better then a 'toad'
Unless it was a truck..then wouldn't need a MH just get the 5vr

I have never understood the MH if travel and 5th wheel if parked concept.
5th wheel is not a big deal to hookup/set up and tows so well.
We averaged 12k miles yearly ---majority done using secondary/back roads for travel

PICK the one YOU want........not some Internet Forum 'poll'
Folks FT in every type/kind of RV
TC's, TT's, FW's MH's---A B C....even motorcycles/tents...small trailers

Pick the FLOORPLAN you want.

Tip:
Can you use the 'facilities' with slides IN?
Kitchen, bathroom, bed----that is a PLUS when traveling.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #9

Prior to getting the current DP I had a Keystone Raptor toy-hauler. Advantages to both. My girlfriend liked the truck/5th wheel better when driving because the Dodge Ram 3500 dually was comfortable and we could more easily talk. Course you can't get up and go to the back and potty or fix a snack. The motorcycle arrived clean and dry. But we had less living space in the 5th wheel vs the motorhome. A good DP has a much more substantial frame than any, or at least 99%, trailer. Maintenance on a DP is FAR more expensive and extensive, than a 5th wheel and tow vehicle. As stated, setting up the 5th wheel takes more time typically than with a motorhome and when parked, driving the tow vehicle is quite a bit more expensive and troublesome than a typical "toad".

Sometime I miss the toy-hauler 5th wheel, but appreciate the larger living space afforded by the motorhome. One advantage to a 5th wheel is the ability to triple tow (check local laws). With a 5th wheel, you could tow a trailer or boat something you can't do behind a motorhome and toad. When I had the 5th wheel toy-hauler, on site traveling and touring was on the motorcycle so the truck wasn't used that much except for occasional grocery shopping or inclement weather.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last Mach we went for 5er to DP and here a few things we have noticed over the last 11,500 miles and 140 plus nites camping.

1. Being able to pee at 60 mile per hour.
2. If you have kids or grand kids they can what TV or play X-Box going down the road.
3. Being able to put a Coffee pot in the sink and have hot coffee while you traveling.
4. Air Ride Suspension that rides better than truck/5er.
5. Huge front window to view the world though.
6. Being able to grab a snack going down the road including a cold drink from the fridge.
7. Can have the crock pot going in the sink while traveling.
8. Can throw bag popcorn in the microwave while going down the road.
9. Wash and Dry a load of clothes going down the road.
10. Be able to turn on the house air just before arriving at the camp site so the coach is cool instead of siting out side till the 5er cools down.
11. Not have just one pass though storage areas but several.
12. Being able to site see in car and not big truck and if you no need for truck not have to deal with it as a second car.
13. Being able to carry Kayaks on the top of the tow vehicle.
14. Being able to put a Cricket Golf cart in the back of most SUVs.
15. Can put a bike rack on the back of the tow vehicle.
16. extra steps to enter the coach but one one step inside the coach.
17. Being able to stop at rest stop for lunch and the coach is cool while eating lunch.
18. If you break down out of cell phone range you still have a tow vehicle to go for help.
19. If the motorhome has engine problems in the middle of the desert you stay cool in the tow vehicle till help arrives.
20. Con would be maintenance cost - 15,000 miles or one year cost me 320.00 to get the oil changed, lubed, and generator serviced.
21. Con Many states you have to upgrade you driver licenses to drive the bigger coaches.
22. Con You have two driver trains to take care of - one in the coach and one in the towed vehicle.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmiles View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked lots but ... We would not want a class A over 34 ft. any insight would be appreciated! Thanks TJ
In my opinion, I would get a high end gas Class A if you want to stay below 34 feet. At most, you'll get an entry-level DP in this size range. Find something on a 24K chassis and you'll have plenty of storage and towing capacity. Think of the tens of thousands of dollars you'll save!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for your replies! We love our 5th wheel but maybe more convenient in motorhome for fulltime. Everyones pros and cons give us a lot to consider. I just posted a new thread wanting to know years of good used DP to look for if we decide to go that way. But why are some people so opposed to gas motorhomes and others to DP. Please explain this to us! Thanks TJ
tjsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

The difference from gas to diesel in my opinion is the chassis. Diesel has air suspension and greater cargo carrying capacity as well as storage under coach. Gas is less expensive upfront and maintenance can be done easily by yourself or a regular type mechanic. We have had both and really like the ride and features in our diesel.

MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel