Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #15

We went through this in the spring. If you drive a DP nothing else will do. We stayed with a gasser, I could not justify the higher cost and the higher yearly maintenance cost. Our newer gas is soooo much better than the older one. Quieter, smooth riding and thousands of $$ left over to buy fuel. I really would rather have a DP and will probably get one next time.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In defense of Gas Powered...not all coaches are the same. I have little experience with Diesel Pushers but would expect that it is true for those chassis too.

From personal experience, there are some gas powered Class A's that are made better than others, and used gas powered Class A's also have a variety of chassis.

Unfortunatly due to the economic crash, for new gas powered Class A's, you're pretty much going to get a 6.8L Ford Triton V10/5 Speed. But in used rigs there are LOTS of Workhorse chassis out there with BIG 8.1L engines and Allison transmissions. And, I think there were gas engines offered with other chassis companies too.

At first I wanted to get a Diesel too (have had a Diesel TV's for years) but when upgrading, I found a gas powered Class A that changed my mind because of floorplan, build quality, and capabilities...plus there was a large difference in price point.

I suggest that each of us be a smart shopper and test/consider as many options as possible, because a RV is a big purchase...knowledge is power.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Something to also think about before you let a salesman talk you into a DP is that the cost for any engine repairs, I would get the best warranty that I could on the DP engine and tranny .

I know that cat. or Cummings engine parts are very very expensive and not just any mech. can work on a Diesel engine especially in rural areas , so I think you should read about all the pros and cons of a DP before you make your decision.

I'm sure that these informative viewers on this forum thread will give you some good and sound advice before you buy.

Happy RVing, James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
Something to also think about before you let a salesman talk you into a DP is that the cost for any engine repairs, I would get the best warranty that I could on the DP engine and tranny .

I know that cat. or Cummings engine parts are very very expensive and not just any mech. can work on a Diesel engine especially in rural areas , so I think you should read about all the pros and cons of a DP before you make your decision.

I'm sure that these informative viewers on this forum thread will give you some good and sound advice before you buy.

Happy RVing, James
Thanks James for Info you posted. Our Home base is in Southern Arizona and we are in a rural area. We have a local Mech. that works on our 2001 Georgie Boy before we hit the road and when we get back. He does work on the School Bus's in our area but i am not sure if they are Diesel or not. We are doing our research now and asking questions so we can get as much info before we get to the Thor Plant next month. We like the new Palazzo 34' but still not sure about a DP. We need to Test drive some of both. We are about 70 miles from Tucson so we will see what we can find when we get back. We are in upstate New York at this time.
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
School busses are diesels.
Remember that warranties (aftermarket) are insurance and you're betting against the house. If you're rural, I'd investigate IF you can have it serviced (warranty work) locally.

If you drive both, drive them both at highway speeds for extended periods of time, near 18-wheelers, and hopefully in cross wind conditions...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #20

There is not much that can be added, everyone of the posters, told you the truth. My addition, I have stated here before. I have owned 3 gas MH, I now own a DP, and if I had bought the DP first, I wouldn't have had to own the other 3! I have a 37 footer, and I love the fact that I can drive it into nearly any parking lot, with out worry, that I'm going to be stuck some place. Myself, I would not buy anything but Freighliner, because of the dealer network, I'm also a Cummins man to, my rig has just rolled 95,000 miles, (knock on wood), she seems more than capable of twice that many more.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #21

One rating that never seems to be discussed with the diesel vs gas arguments, is the SPG factor (smiles per gallon). As for me and my DP, my SPG is pretty high.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
One rating that never seems to be discussed with the diesel vs gas arguments, is the SPG factor (smiles per gallon). As for me and my DP, my SPG is pretty high.
Excellent point! This is an intangable that can't have a dollar amount attached to it.

And for me, the SMP for my Workhorse w/8.1L Gas V8 is pretty high too:
1. I love being able to pull into any ol' gas station for fuel.
2. I love being able to start the engine (even at 2 in the morning) and not worry about waking the dead
3. I love being able to do simple DIY maintenence on the engine.

Really - There is much to be said for not having to hunt for stations with Diesel, especially when off the beaten path of the Interstates (personal exp., 'cuz I still drive my Dodge 3500/5.9L Cummins!).

And, I have noticed that near me, Diesel is going for the same price as premium gas Just how do the oil companies explain that? The Over the road truckers must be hurting
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #23
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I forgot about your tag axle question. If you are looking at full timing, a tag is a wonderful thing. I have a 40' tag coach. Monaco and Country Coach use to build them. The only down side to a tag is the loss of basement storage. Most tag coaches currently being built are 42-45 footers. The problem with a non tag coach is even if it has several thousand pounds of CCC, some substantial % of that is unusable. You will end up over loading an axle because weight distribution in order to weight the axles correctly is impossible to achieve. A tag not only gives you substantially more CCC but you can adjust the pressure on the tag to shift weight back and forth between the axles.
Newmar is putting tag axles on its 40 foot Class A in 2013 on up
they state the DEF unit adds almost 1000 pounds to the coach and the RV needs tags to function right ?
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
my smiles per mile is right up there too...

i love cruising down the highway at 70 with one hand on the wheel.

I love that really cool "whoosh" noise that the brakes make.

and I have no problem with waking the dead when it's time to leave a campground.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas