Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #29
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gdawg, how did you do the regeneration?

I saw mine regen many times. When it started acting up I was in very curvy mountains and could not get up to highway speeds. No place to get a mechanic to do a manual regen.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post

I saw mine regen many times. When it started acting up I was in very curvy mountains and could not get up to highway speeds. No place to get a mechanic to do a manual regen.
On the MF10 you just park the MH away from combustible material like grass etc. , leave the engine running and press the regen button on the dash. The engine will rev to 1500 RPM's and various lights come on and off indicating exhaust temps etc. This usually takes about 30 minutes. When completed the engine idles back down to about 700-800 RPM's and your good to go. A passive Regen would be to go at highway speed, around 1500 RPM's and drive for 30-45 minutes. This does the same thing. Dash lights indicate your need to regen and give you 3 levels of warning if a regen is needed. If you ignore all lights and buzzers power is cut in half for about 30 minutes so you can get off the road. If you still ignore the need for a regen after all the warnings, the engine shuts down. If you drive primarily at highway speeds or at engine RPM's above about 1000-1100 RPM's you'll never have to do a parked regen. As mentioned earlier I've only done 1 parked regen. And this was because I just wanted to see how it worked.

Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Is it against the Law to remove this from a RV? if so what is the statute?
Here you go, you might want to read through the United States Clean Air Act, section 203. https://www3.epa.gov/ttn/oarpg/gen/caa-pdf.pdf

It is against federal law to remove ANY emission control device installed by the manufacturer on pollution controlled vehicles. The DPF is considered a "critical component".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
DPF's are not required by law. Meeting emissions standards is required. DPF's is HOW OEM's are meeting the emissions requirements.
It is mandated that the particulates be removed from diesel exhaust, so technically yes, diesel particulate filters are required.

Keep in mind we are talking about engines which had them installed from the manufacturer. There is no law that says pre-DPF engines must use them.

I just don't see why some folks make such a big deal about the emission stuff, it was put there for the good of everyone. Do you think they should have left the lead in gasoline and continued to make brake shoes out of asbestos too? I think one would have to be very selfish to think it is ok to allow their diesel engine to run free as they see fit. There is really no argument you can make to justify removing any of the emission devices.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:38 AM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post

On ours there's a switch on the center console. One position allows automatic regens the other does a manual one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #33
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Unfortunately no manual regen on my RV. However, if it ever occurs again I will find a place to park and use the cruise control function to let it run at those rpm's. Maybe I could have done the same by manually shifting down and keeping the rpm's up but it would be easier to just park.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I hated to see diesels blowing black soot all time accelerating. Why wasn't it stopped sooner?
Now my 15 runs clean and gets better fuel mileage.
Also glad I waited till they got it more reliable.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #35

Don't throw that $4K DPF in the dumpster. Take it and put it on the desk of your Congressman that voted to have all this junk made mandatory on low mileage vehicles like RV's.

I too had so many problems with this new pollution junk that I sold mine before the warranty expired.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 07 ISL with DPF has done 2 or 3 regens while on long trips at highway speeds. All I get is a 'Hot Exhaust' light on the dash that lasts about 30-40 minutes. I also have a 'Regen' switch on the console.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
I've lost count on the number of times I have read threads/posts arguing this issue, lol.

I view it similar to when catalytic converters were put on gasoline engines in the 70s; an improvement in technology to reduce emissions loadings on our environment as we put more and more fossil fuel combustion products into the air. Nobody complains about cats as much now, and most of us do not contemplate cutting them off, like we used to....

DPF (and DEF) are a recent add on technology to diesel engines; as the technology of each improves and designs tweaked to effectively operate together the operation of the entire system improves and becomes more trouble free (and invisible to the consumer). My thoughts are the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) in diesels is the more troublesome technology.

To the OP, DPF and DEF (and SCR and EGR) are here to stay. My recommendation is to find an engine built before 2007, or later than 2012 (2 years after DEF). That would be the most trouble free., IMHO.

Disclaimer - I have cut off DPFs and cats in my 2008 F350 6.4L. It made a HUGE difference in engine performance. My 2007 coach has a 400ISL was built Dec 2016, no DPF, DEF, or EGR. My preference.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #38

I am now retired but only since Jan of 2015. During the 15 years before that I was the FLEET MANAGER (sorry for the caps can't remove) for two fleets with thousands of medium and heavy trucks. I am very familiar with all emissions levels starting with 98 (the first one) and especially 07 and 10. Some points from my experience.
Has anyone stopped to think what happens to the "stuff" that gets accumulated in the dpf when regeneration occurs? Right all those particles are burnt and spewed into the atmosphere.
These mini scrubbers (dpf filters) crack - why from excessive heat - up to and exceeding 1,400 degrees during regeneration. They also clog even with regens thus the need for the cooking ovens off vehicle and replacement. Replacement can be needed as soon as 20-25,000 miles depending upon duty cycle.
This is an epa mandate and the parts are serialized by the OEM when the engine/exhaust system was built. Replacement by other than an authorized dealer without the change noted/amended on the bom is illegal. This just means those "authorized" dealers can charge
what they think they can get away with. I typically saw $1,500 including labor for a replacement at an OEM dealer.
EGR (coolers) and DPF in the words of an OEM engine manufacturer .."anything that eats its own exhaust can't be a good thing".
I saw numerous problems with bad system electronics/sensors all of which cost downtime and $to repair if out of warranty. As this horror story progressed in elapsed time the OEM would find reasons that the repair did not qualify for warranty.
My wife and I want to move up to a diesel at this time and it will definitely not have a def or a def system on it.
BTW the DEF fluid that mixes with the exhaust is a urea solution. Great for the atmosphere. Great for the environment to be throwing all the used up exhaust coolers, dpf's and plastic def totes into landfills across the country. This is gross overreach by the EPA when engine manufacturers were only given 3years prior to 07 and 10 to meet the mandates. Not nearly enough time. That's why you saw IH change to SCR from advanced EGR and Cat no longer makes on highway engines.
Les & Carla, Dixie the gentle giant Great Pyr, Remy the Pyr/Lab and Chester the wonder dog Yorkie. 2014 Hurricane 34E, 2014 Ford Focus Toad, Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, 2013 John Deere 3032E, 2015 John Deere 1023,
THS Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #39

Correction should read dpf or def
Les & Carla, Dixie the gentle giant Great Pyr, Remy the Pyr/Lab and Chester the wonder dog Yorkie. 2014 Hurricane 34E, 2014 Ford Focus Toad, Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, 2013 John Deere 3032E, 2015 John Deere 1023,
THS Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaveguy View Post
Here you go, you might want to read through the United States Clean Air Act, section 203. https://www3.epa.gov/ttn/oarpg/gen/caa-pdf.pdf

It is against federal law to remove ANY emission control device installed by the manufacturer on pollution controlled vehicles. The DPF is considered a "critical component".

It is mandated that the particulates be removed from diesel exhaust, so technically yes, diesel particulate filters are required.

Keep in mind we are talking about engines which had them installed from the manufacturer. There is no law that says pre-DPF engines must use them.

I just don't see why some folks make such a big deal about the emission stuff, it was put there for the good of everyone. Do you think they should have left the lead in gasoline and continued to make brake shoes out of asbestos too? I think one would have to be very selfish to think it is ok to allow their diesel engine to run free as they see fit. There is really no argument you can make to justify removing any of the emission devices.
That goes both ways...

Mine does not have any emissions,(2005) I'm sure your opinion is that I should have it installed....
Old 07-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
That goes both ways...

Mine does not have any emissions,(2005) I'm sure your opinion is that I should have it installed....
Why? It will fade away...........
Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by THS Hammer View Post
I am now retired but only since Jan of 2015. During the 15 years before that I was the FLEET MANAGER (sorry for the caps can't remove) for two fleets with thousands of medium and heavy trucks. I am very familiar with all emissions levels starting with 98 (the first one) and especially 07 and 10. Some points from my experience.
Has anyone stopped to think what happens to the "stuff" that gets accumulated in the dpf when regeneration occurs? Right all those particles are burnt and spewed into the atmosphere.
These mini scrubbers (dpf filters) crack - why from excessive heat - up to and exceeding 1,400 degrees during regeneration. They also clog even with regens thus the need for the cooking ovens off vehicle and replacement. Replacement can be needed as soon as 20-25,000 miles depending upon duty cycle.
This is an epa mandate and the parts are serialized by the OEM when the engine/exhaust system was built. Replacement by other than an authorized dealer without the change noted/amended on the bom is illegal. This just means those "authorized" dealers can charge
what they think they can get away with. I typically saw $1,500 including labor for a replacement at an OEM dealer.
EGR (coolers) and DPF in the words of an OEM engine manufacturer .."anything that eats its own exhaust can't be a good thing".
I saw numerous problems with bad system electronics/sensors all of which cost downtime and $to repair if out of warranty. As this horror story progressed in elapsed time the OEM would find reasons that the repair did not qualify for warranty.
My wife and I want to move up to a diesel at this time and it will definitely not have a def or a def system on it.
BTW the DEF fluid that mixes with the exhaust is a urea solution. Great for the atmosphere. Great for the environment to be throwing all the used up exhaust coolers, dpf's and plastic def totes into landfills across the country. This is gross overreach by the EPA when engine manufacturers were only given 3years prior to 07 and 10 to meet the mandates. Not nearly enough time. That's why you saw IH change to SCR from advanced EGR and Cat no longer makes on highway engines.

You are 100% correct. This mess is our fault for electing politicians who delegate almost unlimited authority to unelected political cronies. These folks generally have no specific expertise or experience in what they are regulating. The EPA is a disaster. All of us understand the value of clean air but there needs to be some regard for the law of diminishing returns.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine