Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Why? It will fade away...........
Yes it will, they are saying the finer particulates are more dangerous that not having the filter, plus the fires they are causing,...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds similar to the rhetoric that came out with the first Cats.

My personal opinion is the auto manufacturers wouldn't do anything to improve emissions if not dictated by the feds, so bring it on. If we left it to the automakers, we'd still have crankcase vents dripping oil on the ground, metal dashboards, and asbestos brakes, but really nice GPS and heated washer fluid

Old 07-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Sounds similar to the rhetoric that came out with the first Cats.

My personal opinion is the auto manufacturers wouldn't do anything to improve emissions if not dictated by the feds, so bring it on. If we left it to the automakers, we'd still have crankcase vents dripping oil on the ground, metal dashboards, and asbestos brakes, but really nice GPS and heated washer fluid
I'm all for clean air if the product is really working???
Old 07-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I'm all for clean air if the product is really working???
I don't know enough about it to know if it's working or not, but at least they are doing something. If this doesn't work, they will try something else.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #47

Quote:
I don't know enough about it to know if it's working or not, but at least they are doing something. If this doesn't work, they will try something else.
I'm sure you remember the "Smog Pump" they had years ago that was the ultimate air scrubber...lol

I can tell you what they have on the Diesels is causing fires!

Emission fire, this Truck would have never dumped this much in it's life time....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	271503_1823844795148_4034888_o.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	133129  
Old 07-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya I remember the smog pump introduced in the 60s on some CA cars - the concept is still in use today and very integral part of emission control on gasoline engines.

I had two employees just return from China, they saw first hand what happens when you just ignore it and hope it goes away. I'll take a few truck fires over that.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #49

DPF & DEF doesn't work

Having read the responses to my earlier post and others since....
Thank you to those who clearly understand an gross over reach by the EPA. Thank you also to those who understand how and what regeneration really does and my experience with over 1,000 of these units. It puts accumulated crap into the atmosphere on a regular basis. All DPF equipped vehicles should be equipped with a manual regen switch. Ask your chassis and MH dealer about this. If the electronically controlled one does not fire off as it should based on duty cycle you could be left without power on the side of the road.
As to DEF (all 2010 units and later.) please note all new units have DEF it did not end as a mandate in 2011. Further Why in the world do we need systems that return dead air to the combustion chambers requiring larger engines to develop less effective torque (rpm range/torque curve) ... I don't suppose you have made a comparison of those prior to and after mandate(s). We are blowing more fuel through an engine in a far less efficient burn to create the same amount of work. Ever wonder why you don't see 300 or less HP in new coaches.
DEF is simply another 550lbs of system that requires fluid as you all know but has numerous things that go wrong. Each component that requires replacement means some more junk is thrown into the landfill. More importantly it's downtime and cost to the owner.
Finally neither the rhetoric is in anyway similar to the gas engine catalytic converter for a gas engine nor the system(s) itself.
Daimler (Freightliner) kicked out Cat as an engine supplier in 06/07. I as a large buyer of both their products had meetings to try to prevent this. Freightliner didn't care to reverse course. That was 60% of the on highway market for truck engines at the time (Freightliner Trucks, Freightliner specialty vehicles, Thomas buses, Sterling Trucks, and Western Star Trucks. They wanted platforms for their new engines and the production to come from their yet to be built engine plant in MS. Virtual integration and multiple profit centers anyone?
There were forces at work that had nothing to do with clean air....follow the money
Old 07-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #50

Steve

Thank you!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Ya I remember the smog pump introduced in the 60s on some CA cars - the concept is still in use today and very integral part of emission control on gasoline engines.

I had two employees just return from China, they saw first hand what happens when you just ignore it and hope it goes away. I'll take a few truck fires over that.
Of course! If that was your Truck and you had a family to feed you might get it!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by THS Hammer View Post
Thank you!
Thank You!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Emission fire, this Truck would have never dumped this much in it's life time....
I'm confident the cleaner air from the trucks that don't catch fire more than makes up for it.

In any event using these anti pollution devices is the law in a nation with representative government and free elections. Until you change the law obey it.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
I'm confident the cleaner air from the trucks that don't catch fire more than makes up for it.
Typical answer.....

In any event using these anti pollution devices is the law in a nation with representative government and free elections. Until you change the law obey it.
I do obey the law by not owing anything that requires this nonsense (my opinion) with that said, DONT TELL ME WHAT TO AND NOT TO DO!

Again, if this was your Truck......
Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #55

Quote:

Again, if this was your Truck......
If it were my truck what?
Old 07-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #56

I'd like to see the Fed spend taxpayer dollars on synchronizing stop lights across the country. This alone would help the environment more than DPF..

I have a 2013 MF10 that does not use DEF. Navistar indicated new bowl and injector design made EPA10 compliance possible. Wonder why this didn't work for the 13 and 15 liter engines.

Gdawgs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine