Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya we all have to choke and puke on smog to keep the trucker in food until his insurance check shows up.

Cmon, we all new it was coming. After the success of cleaning up the emissions on gas vehicles, the die hards flocked to diesel to avoid the emission standards causing the number of diesel vehicles on the road to reach such a high population that they suddenly became a major contributor of pollution. Add to that the kids that tune their trucks to allow "rolling coal" so they can blow soot into the open windows of the Prius or the bicyclist! How long did you think we would go without a new fed requirement...

roll coal - Bing video

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #58

Navistar EGR/Advanced EGR & SCR

Please note Navistar could not bring their engines into EPA compliance until they stopped the pursuit of Advanced EGR & switched to SCR. Dan Ustain former CEO of Navistar would not listen to his engineers that repeatedly told him Advanced EGR would not work and was terminated as a result of his insistence on this path. Navistar was able to produce non compliant engines because they had amassed EPA emissions credits with the production of the power stroke engines for many years (for Ford). You can find this information if you look for it.Just because it does not have a DPF does not mean the engine was EPA 2007 compliant. I would stay away from EGR/Advanced EGR as well.

Les & Carla, Dixie the gentle giant Great Pyr, Remy the Pyr/Lab and Chester the wonder dog Yorkie. 2014 Hurricane 34E, 2014 Ford Focus Toad, Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, 2013 John Deere 3032E, 2015 John Deere 1023,
THS Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #59
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I guess that is why I have read all these other post that indicate that no extended warranty will cover any EPA related issues. And my correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #60

Class 8 truck power trains

Just out of curiosity how many class 8 trucks/tractors do you see with a gas engine?? Nope - diesel - why the torque required & combustion efficiency needed to move the weight. That's the been the case since I was a youngster err over 40 years ago since I first obtained a CDL.
Les & Carla, Dixie the gentle giant Great Pyr, Remy the Pyr/Lab and Chester the wonder dog Yorkie. 2014 Hurricane 34E, 2014 Ford Focus Toad, Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, 2013 John Deere 3032E, 2015 John Deere 1023,
Old 07-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #61

GJW
Bingo!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ya, but it was the surge in population of Power Strokes, Duramax, and Cummins in light duty anything USA that caused the need for emission standards. 40 years ago I would pull into the local fuel station to fill my tender truck with diesel and the owner asked if I could do just half because he only carried 100 gal of diesel in his underground as a convenience for his customers and I always wiped him out. Diesel just didn't exist in the suburbs.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #63

As for torque, turbo supercharged gassers might be the future of high torque, at least for personal and recreational use. The 2nd generation 3.5 Ford Ecoboost will be rated at 470 foot pounds of torque and my 1 liter 3 cylinder Ecoboost Fiesta has 148 foot pounds, and at only 2500 rpm. Scale those numbers up to 7 liters and you've an idea of what the future might have in store.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #64

7.0L EcoBoost

And how many turbo chargers do you think you can physically hang off an engine?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by THS Hammer View Post
And how many turbo chargers do you think you can physically hang off an engine?
Two does the trick for the Ford 3.5s, one in the case of my Fiesta. ;-)

Note that now GM is using 3.6 liter dual turbo high performence engines for some of their very fast Cadillacs. Some of the Euros are building cars that combine both mechanical and turbo supercharging. It's interesting stuff.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Ya we all have to choke and puke on smog to keep the trucker in food until his insurance check shows up.

Cmon, we all new it was coming. After the success of cleaning up the emissions on gas vehicles, the die hards flocked to diesel to avoid the emission standards causing the number of diesel vehicles on the road to reach such a high population that they suddenly became a major contributor of pollution. Add to that the kids that tune their trucks to allow "rolling coal" so they can blow soot into the open windows of the Prius or the bicyclist! How long did you think we would go without a new fed requirement...

roll coal - Bing video
So thats all there is to this is an insurance check? I hope you kidding, How long after I shot this was this person up and running again?
Old 07-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
I have no way of doing a manual regeneration on my Cat C-9 Accert engine in my Monaco product coach. I know that Country Coachs can do a manual regen. My question is what would it take and is there anyone out there that can make a device that will plug and play to make my engine manually regenerate? I am getting tired of stopping in a Cat shop every few thousand miles for a regen.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
So thats all there is to this is an insurance check? I hope you kidding, How long after I shot this was this person up and running again?
You're wanting to show hardship and emotion over a truck fire? Give it up, of course I wasn't kidding. His truck caught on fire, should we start a rescue fund?

He should be insured for loss of income and could have a leased truck rolling by 8AM!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #69

TBFirm
You have one of the last series of Cat engines produce for on highway use - 07 mandate compliant. It uses proprietal technology including a unique twin in series low speed turbos (not variable speed) along with a cross flow 4 valve air injection, with a double fuel injection (the first fuel injection is a small injection to start combustion, then the main injection occurs - this system creates a more complete burn with less of the emissions in question. Then after being expelled from the engine the gases pass through the Cat DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst) which is not a DPF. Regen is not required with this system and the DOC is designed to last the life of the engine.
Sorry I made the blanket statement above. Cat is the exception. You are right you do not have a manual regen button since this system does not have the fuel burn/dpf system.
Cat was unable to make this system meet 2010 and we all know the rest of the story.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #70
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfirm View Post
I have no way of doing a manual regeneration on my Cat C-9 Accert engine in my Monaco product coach. I know that Country Coachs can do a manual regen. My question is what would it take and is there anyone out there that can make a device that will plug and play to make my engine manually regenerate? I am getting tired of stopping in a Cat shop every few thousand miles for a regen.

Yours should automatically regen shouldn't it?

My 2008 400 ISL does not have a manual regen switch. It is in a Holiday Rambler/Monaco.

Since the flash upgrades and the new filter I have seen one regen and have seen the little light flash for just a second. I can't seem to see if it is the high exhaust light or not. It might be doing more frequent but smaller regens.

What does it cost to have a manual one done. It should take an hour or less. I remember doing mine and they had the rv revved up quite a bit.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine