Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
You're wanting to show hardship and emotion over a truck fire? Give it up, of course I wasn't kidding. His truck caught on fire, should we start a rescue fund?

He should be insured for loss of income and could have a leased truck rolling by 8AM!
Wow! Karma Baby! Proof you haven't a clue...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I may not, but past caring what point you were trying to make.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #73

Quote:
I may not, but past caring what point you were trying to make.
Oh, you will see, the day your Coach spits a Turbo...That's a Guarantee! $$$$
Old 07-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #74

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
That goes both ways...

Mine does not have any emissions,(2005) I'm sure your opinion is that I should have it installed....
No, I never said that. I was referring to those who removed the emission devices on engines that were equipped with them from the manufacturer.

I meet far too many diesel engine owners who think they know the ins and outs of what powers their trucks. The reality is that they know very little about them, other than what mostly nonsense and opinion they have gathered from the internet.

More than one contributor to this thread has made negative comments regarding the use of EGR on diesel engines and how stupid a device that is and how much better their engine would be if it wasn't used. Does anyone even understand what an EGR valve does, and why they are installed on a diesel engine? Anyone care to share their knowledge?
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaveguy View Post
Someone in an earlier post poked some fun at a "smog pump" which used to be installed on earlier gas engines. It is comments like that which reinforce what I have said about misinformation. A "smog pump" is what someone who doesn't understand it calls it. It is officially called an A.I.R. (air injection reaction) pump and directed fresh air to the catalytic converter, the additional oxygen to the converter allowed it to completely burn the hydrocarbons (HC = unburnt fuel). Later model gas engines became more efficient at metering fuel and the pumps were no longer necessary, some late model gas engines still use an electric air pump during the first few minutes of cold start operation though.
That would be him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I'm sure you remember the "Smog Pump" they had years ago that was the ultimate air scrubber...lol
Old 07-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #76

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
I guess that is why I have read all these other post that indicate that no extended warranty will cover any EPA related issues. And my correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Certain devices are never covered by an ext warranty policy. It is usually the catalytic converter and muffler. My ext warranty is an all inclusive type, the only items not covered are those specifically listed in the "What is not covered" list. I don't have the policy in front of me or I would check and see what is listed.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #77

Thor Owners Club
In response to post #75, I originally posted that but deleted it because it didn't pertain to diesel engines. Guess somebody caught that before I deleted it. LOL

I'm a 30 year veteran technician for General Motors, I know more than a little about diesel engines and their related systems, probably more than the average tech and most definitely more than the average owner does. There are certain types of people who form an opinion on something and that is the end of it, no matter what. Some things are just not worth the argument.

So without meaning to sound like I'm trying to get in the last word here...how many of you REALLY think emission devices are worthless and put on your engine as part of some big government conspiracy? Do you think the air quality would be no better or worse if they had never been mandated?
Old 07-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #78

Quote:
That would be him.
Yep that would be me, funny how I used the term "smog pump" and everyone knew what I was referring to, when in use, an uneducated guy like myself could walk into an Auto Parts store and use the term "smog pump" and they even knew what I needed.....
Old 07-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #79

Quote:
No, I never said that. I was referring to those who removed the emission devices on engines that were equipped with them from the manufacturer.

I meet far too many diesel engine owners who think they know the ins and outs of what powers their trucks. The reality is that they know very little about them, other than what mostly nonsense and opinion they have gathered from the internet.

More than one contributor to this thread has made negative comments regarding the use of EGR on diesel engines and how stupid a device that is and how much better their engine would be if it wasn't used. Does anyone even understand what an EGR valve does, and why they are installed on a diesel engine? Anyone care to share their knowledge?
Yep, I run into them also, to bad not all know what you and I know....There are some that are more educated on the Diesel than you and I!
Old 07-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man there is a lot of chest beating and measuring going on here, maybe even a little kissing
Old 07-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #81

My Essex is a 2008 with a Cummings engine and it does not have DPF. Not all 2008 have filters so you can find some with only EGR on them. I did not want DPF or def on my Rv. I am hoping this will reduce future repair costs. Only time will tell. Good luck with what ever coach you end up with.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
My Essex is a 2008 with a Cummings engine and it does not have DPF. Not all 2008 have filters so you can find some with only EGR on them. I did not want DPF or def on my Rv. I am hoping this will reduce future repair costs. Only time will tell. Good luck with what ever coach you end up with.
Your luck will be better with the EGR.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
THS Hammer

I can assure you my Cat C-9 engine in my 2009 Safari Cheetah does have a DPF and requires regeneration. I'm not sure what engine you are referring to but your post doesn't help at all with my question. You seem to want to impress with your knowledge so how about answering my question. A Country Coach with a C-9 has a manual regen switch. A Monaco coach with the same engine doesn't. What would it take to install a manual regen switch in my coach?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #84

Quote:

I've built a few engines in my time and took the Exhaust Gas Recycle (EGR) system off my F350 6.0. Keep in mind EGR systems recycle only a portion of the exhaust gases. The job began by taking the intake etc. off to get to the valley between the heads. I replaced the oil cooler that sits below the EGR system. It's advisable to replace the cooler when your oil and water temps are more than 15-20 degrees apart. I use the Edge Programmer and have the exhaust temp. probe. The EGR system consisted of an up tube split on the passenger side of the exhaust which recycles hot exhaust through a tube assembly with a tubular radiator assembly in the center to cool the exhaust gas. This hot exhaust gas is reburned through the engine. A good indication that you've got issues is if your adding more coolant. That means your cooler assembly is leaking water into the hot gas that is being reburned. This can also rust parts of the turbo. There is also a valve in the assembly that varies the amount of hot exhaust gas to recycle. The benefits are.. 2-3 MPG improvement, oil temps dropped 20 degrees and the exhaust temps dropped about 200 degrees. A secondary benefit was cleaner oil. No longer does it look dirty after only a few miles. Most diesels use a similar system.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine