Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

DP's that work well for families

I'm in the market for a used diesel pusher and have been looking at Newmar Allstars and other bunk models such as the Discovery 40G (leaning away from), and Berkshire 390BH. I like the Tiffin 38QBA, but there aren't many used ones out there and I'm looking for a high output ISB/ Allison 3000 as my minimum powertrain.

Since bunkhouses are so few and far between, what other models are out there that work well for families? I'm thinking we'd need opposing couches and a dinette so we could have a few sleeping options. My kids are middle school and high school age, and we tend to bring a friend or two with us.

I've been looking blindly at RV Trader, but I think my search would be more efficient if I had some model numbers to search for. My budget is around $100k, which puts me in the 2006-2010 model year range.
Dgreen1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a Discovery 40X which I think is the best for family's. I don't care for the bunk bed models as it puts the bunks right on top of the master. If you look for the 40X like mine, it will have 3 queen beds plus the dinette if you want to use that, so I can sleep 8 in mine very easily. We don't use the dinette for sleeping, so I can usually get up in the morning, make coffee, sit at dinette and read or whatever while all the kids still sleeping.

Just realized I did not give you enough information. The 40X came in two versions, one with dinette across from refer and 2 euro chairs or the dinette across from sofa by tv and another sofa across from refer. The one with 2 sofa's is what you want.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
I have a Discovery 40X which I think is the best for family's. I don't care for the bunk bed models as it puts the bunks right on top of the master. If you look for the 40X like mine, it will have 3 queen beds plus the dinette if you want to use that, so I can sleep 8 in mine very easily. We don't use the dinette for sleeping, so I can usually get up in the morning, make coffee, sit at dinette and read or whatever while all the kids still sleeping.

Just realized I did not give you enough information. The 40X came in two versions, one with dinette across from refer and 2 euro chairs or the dinette across from sofa by tv and another sofa across from refer. The one with 2 sofa's is what you want.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, good luck!
I like that floor plan. Have you had any issues with your refrigerator being in the slide? It seems some don't cool as well as they should.

Do you know what transmission comes in the 40X? I couldn't find the answer in the online brochure. It does seem to be able to tow 10k lbs, so that may mean it has the Allison 3000.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgreen1069 View Post
I like that floor plan. Have you had any issues with your refrigerator being in the slide? It seems some don't cool as well as they should.

Do you know what transmission comes in the 40X? I couldn't find the answer in the online brochure. It does seem to be able to tow 10k lbs, so that may mean it has the Allison 3000.
There is no issues with the refer, its a residential frig, think you might be confusing it with another model.

Yes it tows 10K, we pull a car hauler with ours. Think its either a Allison 3000 or 3200
Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect DP for your family!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
There is no issues with the refer, its a residential frig, think you might be confusing it with another model.

Yes it tows 10K, we pull a car hauler with ours. Think its either a Allison 3000 or 3200
They may have changed the refrigerator over the years. I found a 2008 on RVTrader and it definitely has an RV style fridge.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
They may have changed the refrigerator over the years. I found a 2008 on RVTrader and it definitely has an RV style fridge.
Well even if it has an RV style frig, you can pull that bad boy out and slap a residential frig in easy peasy. We have already replaced our original residential frig once now, was surprised at how easy the task was. Lots of threads on doing it, and tons of people to help guide you through it.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Well even if I has an RV style frig, you can pull that bad boy out and slap a residential frig in easy peasy. We have already replaced our original residential frig once now, was surprised at how easy the task was. Lots of threads on doing it, and tons of people to help guide you through it.
Good point, thanks for tip.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #9

My 35B works well with the bed lift up front. My 14 was an Excursion, now its a Pace Arrow.

Hard to beat the MPG I get in mine.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #11

don't limit yourself to a ready to go model. I have never seen a bunk model that didn't have the kids right by the parents bedroom. [Moderator Edit]... I bought a 42'er and I am currently building bunks where the sofa used to be in the slide. and not special size, I'm doing standard twin beds. they will have walls and privacy curtains so I can get ready for work without waking them. even if you had to pay someone to do it you can save lots of money by widening you search.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #12

Well, wish me luck. I found a Discovery 40X near me and made a deal to purchase it with the seller. I'm trying to schedule an inspection now, but the unit looked great to me. My financing was already approved by the bank so I'm hoping things can go smoothly. Many banks have gotten funny about private purchase sales, so I'm hoping they don't screw this up.

Anyone have an RV inspector they recommend in northern Virginia? My lender suggested Lemon Squad, and I was set to use them but didn't see anything on their site to say how long they have to schedule the inspection. I'd like to have someone come out in the next couple of days if possible.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:24 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Can't help you with the inspector, but congratulations on finding a coach that works for your family!

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Well, wish me luck. I found a Discovery 40X near me and made a deal to purchase it with the seller. I'm trying to schedule an inspection now, but the unit looked great to me. My financing was already approved by the bank so I'm hoping things can go smoothly. Many banks have gotten funny about private purchase sales, so I'm hoping they don't screw this up.
Wow, that was fast, great to hear. If it works out, you will love the Discovery, we have owned several RV's and so far the Discovery has been by far our most trouble free, great build quality.