Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
The older Foretravel are pretty nice coaches but what caught my eye one day while day dreaming was how much of the available under floor storage various house mechanical system are consuming.
We looked at early 2000 Foretravels and they had less storage space than other brands of similar size.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
it's better if you get your 3rd motor home first (in our case, second).

Good luck, hope you find just the right one for you.

Ron
Thanks! This is advice we have heard from several people and it seems like the right idea. That's why we're looking for the quality and finish level first. My biggest thing is I want to spend a lot of time out west in the national parks...and "go big or go home" does have its limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Having had great success with a Newmar, that's what we recommend.
Your positive press is one of the main reasons we are looking at them! We're headed to a dealer this weekend to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We looked at early 2000 Foretravels and they had less storage space than other brands of similar size.
Interesting, hadn't thought of that. I really want to look at one in person and see what they are like. We've just seen a number of them online and they do look very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
A top end older coach makes lots of sense. The Foretravel is an outstanding coach. Country Coach and Monaco also built some high end coaches in the 36' to 38' size.
We have looked at a couple Monacos and they just didn't strike a chord with us, but we'll definitely keep looking. I thought about Country Coach too, but with the shutdown/acquisition, I discounted them. If we go older, I want something that is still supported.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #17

Did you ever decide on your motorhome? We have a 2016 tiffin red 37 pa .... We live the floor plan. We went with desk /dining table and couldn't be happier
Old 09-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneoverstreet View Post
Did you ever decide on your motorhome? We have a 2016 tiffin red 37 pa .... We live the floor plan. We went with desk /dining table and couldn't be happier
Agree. Under 40 the Tiffin 37PA is my fav.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
I thought about Country Coach too, but with the shutdown/acquisition, I discounted them. If we go older, I want something that is still supported.
That's too bad, they really are a great rig and there is support and parts still available. Too bad some of the Cummins engines aren't reliable, but that's true in other brands too with certain Cummins engines.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #20

Hi Mark & Peg and welcome to the forum. When I hear someone contemplating full timing and talking about a 36' rig I take my hat off to ya.
We have evolved from a 36', 40, and now I believe the actual exterior of our DS is closer to 44'. They all seemed huge early on. We have had many trips that due to weather or other reasons were forced to spend more time indoors. Last forth of July weekend it almost never stopped raining and we were sure glad for the room. Also, I really don't consider myself limited to parks due to length. Best of luck with your search and please keep an open mind when it comes to size!
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
True, but we started out looking at 28. Then said well, 32 isn't much more and is more stable. Then said well, 36 is only a bit more and has a lot more storage options. Then said well, we really like a couple of the 38s we have seen. I have to draw the line somewhere because at this rate I'll end up in a 45ft Newell!
Can't get much nicer than a Newell. I had someone look at this one for me at FOT. He said it looked real nice. I know it has been for sale for at least two years now. Might be ready to give it away. It was 119k when I was looking

1998 Newell Coach Newell 42' Priced at $ 134500
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneoverstreet View Post
Thread revival! We really like the 37PA plan, fits well with a couple and a dog. But after looking at just about everything from Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, American, Monaco and more, we have really narrowed the focus down to Dutch Stars, both the 37s and the 40s. We have some offers out right now on a couple 3736s and there's a 4018 we are very interested in. We'll be modifying the floorplan slightly (need a big desk, the dinette/combo isn't enough).

Biggest hurdle right now is I have a collector car for sale, and it needs to find a new home before we finalize the purchase. It's not really suitable for a toad...not even close! If it had sold, we would likely be in a 4018. The funny thing is, it's currently stored at a place in Memphis and is surrounded by maybe 100 top-end class A coaches!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:57 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
We have evolved from a 36', 40, and now I believe the actual exterior of our DS is closer to 44'.
It's funny but in our hunt, we started out with 5th wheels and got bigger and bigger until we had our mind set on GD Solitude. Then we test drove the supertruck we would need to haul it and while we liked it, the idea of using the supertruck for local knocking around just seemed ridiculous, not to mention expensive. But the class A stuff never appealed....until we finally got into a Tiffin. That opened our eyes to the possible. We started out looking at a 32' Breeze, evolved to the Red and Phaeton, then decided we really needed to look at other manufacturers to get a complete picture.

I think it was while waking through a brand-new London Aire, sitting next to a brand new Cornerstone, that I finally said enough is enough. If there's one thing we are not, it's RV resort people. I have no interest in the amenities beyond whatever hookup is available - the goal is to travel, not sit by the pool. So we reeled it back in. In the 37-40' space, it's really the Tiffins and Newmars that appeal to us the most, and the DS just seems to fit a little bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Can't get much nicer than a Newell. I had someone look at this one for me at FOT. He said it looked real nice. I know it has been for sale for at least two years now. Might be ready to give it away. It was 119k when I was looking

1998 Newell Coach Newell 42' Priced at $ 134500
I actually like the Newells but my wife took one look at it and said all it needed was a stripper pole! And she was not into that.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #24

We were looking for a DP like you in the same size. DH drove tractor trailer for over 40 years and wouldn't consider anything but diesel. When visiting a local dealer, we found a used 2004 Dutch Star 4012 that was in better shape than newer coaches we had seen. The floor plan, condition and amount of storage worked so we bought it. Just came back last month from a 7,000 mile trip from PA to CA, up the coast to Portland OR then back east. The size of our Dutch Star was perfect. Both of us had been afraid it would be too big. We fit into campgrounds including state parks along 101 in Oregon Our floor plan wouldn't work for your wife needing the big desk, but we highly recommend the Dutch Star. Plus our two cats and one dog were totally happy with it too. Good luck!!
SunriseSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #25

If buying new. And want to make modifications from standard, Newmar is your choice on the two listed.

If buying used. Don't discard a coach because it is 'orphan', as you will have very little problem getting parts or service. (I own a Country Coach, and bought it as a then 'orphan' coach. They were bankrupt, and Ron Lee had not yet started back up CC when we bought. Now, Winnebago owns CC, and so all of the caps molds, and build info, and intellectual property are available as CC, under the Winnebago family.) But I also had Apline, Travel Supreme, Wanderlodge on our short list too, all orphan.)

My advise is pretty consistent in regards to coach shopping: "Buy the highest quality coach that you can, stay within budget, and that meets your needs." I also always suggest leaving some budget to make any baseline maintenance updates, so you a good point to go forward from. And to also allow some customization, and upgrades, to make it your coach. I also comment that a higher quality coach, provides a solid foundation to build on for the future.

Now, that is just my way of doing things. Many like newer, many like new. So what is really important, is what do you two want, and how you feel about High End Used, vs Low/Medium quality Newer/New? It's your money!

On size, we've had very few places that we could not put our 40', that a 38' would fit. Sure, they exist, but we've been doing fine with our 40', and travel accordingly. I also feel that a 40-43' coach is pretty comparable too, and you pick up one more 1/2 or full basement bay. I also like coaches with tag. For handling and stability and CCC, as well as this moves the drive wheel forward some, so you get a tighter turning radius. Our 40' IFS tag coach, can turn around in a tighter radius then our previous straight axle F53 28' Bounder.

That being said, the 36-38' does provide you with some fine options.

On the gas front. Maybe check out the UFO based (Rear engine 8.1 with Allison transmission.) coaches. The Rexhall 37' unit has two large T-Rex full slides. They really open up the coach, and provide more living space then many 40-43' coaches.

I also liked the gas Mountain Aire line, and feel they were a bit higher quality then the other coaches you mentioned.

On DP's in the 36-38', check into:

-Foretravel U295/U320
-Alpine (They have a mid entry option, that some prefer. And have one of the better handling chassis coaches available.)
-Country Coach - Allure/Intrigue I feel are the sweet spot on content and value.
-American Coach
-Travel Supreme
-Monaco (I think Windsor and even Dynasty had those sizes in some years?)
-Dutchstar I believe also had those sizes available to
-And of course, more....

Come up with Must Have's and Nice to Have's, and then go kick some tires. Sit in some coaches, slides in and slides out. Compare your lists to what you're seeing, and come up with a short list of coaches to go shop for.

And best to luck to you, and welcome!
Smitty
Old 09-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunriseSix View Post
We were looking for a DP like you in the same size. DH drove tractor trailer for over 40 years and wouldn't consider anything but diesel. When visiting a local dealer, we found a used 2004 Dutch Star 4012 that was in better shape than newer coaches we had seen. The floor plan, condition and amount of storage worked so we bought it. Just came back last month from a 7,000 mile trip from PA to CA, up the coast to Portland OR then back east. The size of our Dutch Star was perfect. Both of us had been afraid it would be too big. We fit into campgrounds including state parks along 101 in Oregon Our floor plan wouldn't work for your wife needing the big desk, but we highly recommend the Dutch Star. Plus our two cats and one dog were totally happy with it too. Good luck!!
We've actually looked at a couple Dutch Stars from the mid-2000s and like them a lot, great to hear you have had a good experience. Wife is set on something a bit newer, but there are a couple older DS nearby we're going to look at.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
On DP's in the 36-38', check into:

-Foretravel U295/U320
-Alpine (They have a mid entry option, that some prefer. And have one of the better handling chassis coaches available.)
-Country Coach - Allure/Intrigue I feel are the sweet spot on content and value.
-American Coach
-Travel Supreme
-Monaco (I think Windsor and even Dynasty had those sizes in some years?)
-Dutchstar I believe also had those sizes available to
-And of course, more....

Come up with Must Have's and Nice to Have's, and then go kick some tires. Sit in some coaches, slides in and slides out. Compare your lists to what you're seeing, and come up with a short list of coaches to go shop for.

And best to luck to you, and welcome!
Smitty
We're definitely looking used, but lightly used. Our focus has been 2012-2015, but open to a little older depending on maintenance and finish levels. Funny you should mention that list above, we're going out to look at a 2008 American Eagle in just about an hour, looks outstanding from the pictures and in talking to the owners, sounds like it has been babied.

You should see the lists we've made. Paralysis of analysis going on, bigtime. Priorities are DP, finish level, well maintained, and a floorplan that works for us. We'll be replacing the dinette with a desk in anything we get, already have the plans for that - desk that doubles as a dining table.

I also got a big bite on my car for sale this afternoon, so if that goes well then we'll be in sooner than later.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of people talk about length, but forget that width is the other side of square feet. And, if you're on the tall side, all motorhomes are not the same interior height. Width has a lot to do with slides, so added slides in a shorter rig equals more square feet in an easier rig to drive.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote