Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Dragondana - Newbie with questions

Just bought 2008 Mandalay 38' Presidio!!! I take delivery on Wed. May 15.
I have to get proof of insurance..I have heard that goodsam club GMAC is a good insurance. Also need roadside assistance. I will be a fulltimer with limited mechanical ability. Any suggestions? Also have now tow knowledge and would love some tips on that. What is best for fulltimer...My car (Altima) cannot be towed 4 wheels down.
dragondana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For road side assistance- Coach Net. Can't speak to GMAC insurance but I have very little faith in what GS peddles these days. They are more interested in growth through aquisitions, while having to do damage control with customers.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

X2 on little faith in GS. GMAC, from my reading, isn't that good. Too expensive and determined to pay only when they have to.

Coachnet is the only RV roadside service to have, IMO.

RV insurance requires some personal legwork. I settled on Progressive but you know how it goes, I've never had a claim with them so I don't know how good they are in handling claims. They just had the best price with no increases year to year like many do.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #4

We too have Coach-Net ERS and have for years. As we mentioned in another thread, they have a 24/7 RV Technical Assistance Hotline which might be useful to you as a new owner of an RV. =click here for their motorhome coverage description.

Although we've had GMAC insurance coverage for several years (not through Good Sam, however), we haven't yet seen a premium increase. Haven't had any claims either, however. Our philosophy of insurance (and not all agree) is to have coverage for catastrophic events. We prefer to "insure" ourselves for the small stuff. So we have never had a claim on any vehicle insurance for decades. Therefore, our deductibles are very high and we don't have a lot of frills added to the policy.

For the reason mentioned above, we use an agent to shop for us as we usually want to go with the least expensive alternative. To us, insurance is insurance (again, not all will agree). Going though agencies that specialize in RV insurance, we've had National Interstate for quite a few years and now have had GMAC for the past several years.

Miller Insurance in Lake Oswego Oregon is a popular agency amongst full-time RVers that specializes in RV insurance and we've used them =click here. We now use Poliseek in California =click here. Being full-time, we want to use an agent who not only understands the special needs of RVers but also one who understands the special circumstances of using a Montana LLC (I won't explain what that is here as I'm positive I'll get flamed extensively). But both Miller and Poliseek understand both those special circumstances so they can narrow down a carrier that will be suitable for us. Again, agencies are businesses that shop for a carrier and arrange coverage for you. They are not actual insurance carriers/companies. You don't have to use an agency should you not desire. I only mention it as an alternative and many do not like to use agencies.

As for towing a car behind you rig, iRV2 has a special forum for those questions so when you get a chance, post your inquiries there:

Toads and Motorhome Related Towing

Good luck and keep asking questions.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags