Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #15

USMCRET...LMAO!! Semper Fi!! OOORAH!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Play it safe, buy used, evaluate the life style before you go whole hog. It sounds like your spouse is very nervous about the whole plunge.

Lot's of used stuff available in Florida, take a 2 week vacation and come down and look around. If you find a nice 10 year old unit and don't like the lifestyle you are going to get out of it a whole lot cheaper than your losses on a new unit.

We bought an older unit about 2 years ago and are finding it hard to justify upgrading to bigger and better based on our actual usage, and the "so far ....knock wood" good experience with the unit. if it collapsed and died on the side of the road tomorrow I would be out far less than the depreciation loss on a new unit bought 2 years ago.
100% agree... the are plenty of gently used units out there at reasonable prices. You also have one leg up on most of us in the fact that you don't have a trade and could go the private route. We are the proud owners of a gently used 2008 FRED and couldn't be happier. There is absolutely no way I would consider purchasing a new unit even if I had an unlimited funds to spend.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't give up on your dreams! Just look in another direction! First, reach an agreement on an amount you're willing to spend. Then start searching for units that fall in that range. I would recommend RVTrader.com. They have a great site that allows you to search by price, manufacturer, etc. Also, don't forget the Classified section here on IRV2!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonless View Post
So the wife and I have been dreaming of owning a new RV for many years now. So after a few years researching for all the features she wants we decided to look closely at a new THOR Miranda… but after reading all the negative reviews lately she told me tonight that we might as well forget the dream! I was devastated because she won’t fly and our kids are older and live on the west coast. She said the cost of ownership, insurance, excise tax, state tax when we purchase has taken the wind out of her sails… we live in MA. Then she told me that after reading all the negative reviews on THOR took her over the edge. Anyway thanks for the forum and all the help for the last few years for all the great advice. Everyone here is awesome and hopefully we’ll be back. Sometimes dreams have to wait for a long while…
Never, never, never put a dream on "HOLD" when it is about to coming true, you and your wife DO NOT have the time to do this........simply put
We are just visiting this earth for a really short time, and your "long term" life will begin before we know it.........DON'T LET GO OF YOUR DREAMS!
(Make sure to let your wife read this)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #19

Dont wait!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

I had a dream to buy a sailboat, live aboard and sail away and never look back. I looked at 20-30 sailboats over the last 2 years. Could not find one in my price range that didnt need alot of repairs or upgrades.

In the back of my mind plan "B" has always been the RV route.

So this past October I became the proud owner of a 1998 Southwind Storm. Went the used route in order to not have a monthly payment.

My point is...dont wait until all is right or the stars align in your favor. Getting outside your comfort zone is what makes us feel alive.

Living in surburbia in the same house until your dying days is not what life was meant to be. There is way too much "out there" to see and experience. Go now.

Another quote for you to consider that can be applied to the RV lifestyle:

“Thats what a ship is, you know. Its not a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. Thats what a ship needs. But what a ship is. What the Black Pearl really is . . . is freedom.”

My wife was "skeptical" at first too, about the sailboat idea and then the RV idea, but she is fully on board now that we have purchased and we are in the process of making it "ours" by painting and upgrading, etc.

We plan to "depart" the "normal" lifestyle this summer..............and not look back.
gary276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #20

Not sure where you live but in Texas the sales tax on motorhome is deductable and the interest can be written off as a second home.
As for Thor we own a 2013 Challenger and love it. Minor problems.
Life is to short go for it.

Ronny Hibler
2013 challenger gt
2012 edge
one wife two dogs
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no such RV as a Thor Miranda(?).

My sympathy to the OP. We love travel in our Thor made RV. I would never just give up on the dream.

There are many great RV's out there - from many, many Thor made RV's that don't have the recent slide and jack issues -thanks Lippert- to Boutique brand that only make 12 or so units a month.

To the OP, your 5th wheel idea is much more affordable than a new Class A...but the Mrs. is right, a Class A is a wonderful and comfortable way to travel...and beats flying in every way!

Best luck to the OP and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Play it safe, buy used, evaluate the life style before you go whole hog. It sounds like your spouse is very nervous about the whole plunge.

Lot's of used stuff available in Florida, take a 2 week vacation and come down and look around. If you find a nice 10 year old unit and don't like the lifestyle you are going to get out of it a whole lot cheaper than your losses on a new unit.

We bought an older unit about 2 years ago and are finding it hard to justify upgrading to bigger and better based on our actual usage, and the "so far ....knock wood" good experience with the unit. if it collapsed and died on the side of the road tomorrow I would be out far less than the depreciation loss on a new unit bought 2 years ago.
I hear a Brockx, we did the same thing
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #23

Reexamine your dream. Figure out what dollar amount both of you can afford and are happy with. More than likely there is a used MH that will fit your dollar amount. RVing in a motorhome doesn't have to break the bank. Most of us started out in a used one and moved on to others as time and finances permitted. The dream can be just as enjoyable in a clean previously owned coach as it is in a new one, especially if it's paid for.

If both of you were really serious about motorhoming, there will be a way to do it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #24

Yes sorry I spelled it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
There is no such RV as a Thor Miranda(?).

My sympathy to the OP. We love travel in our Thor made RV. I would never just give up on the dream.

There are many great RV's out there - from many, many Thor made RV's that don't have the recent slide and jack issues -thanks Lippert- to Boutique brand that only make 12 or so units a month.

To the OP, your 5th wheel idea is much more affordable than a new Class A...but the Mrs. is right, a Class A is a wonderful and comfortable way to travel...and beats flying in every way!

Best luck to the OP and safe travels
It's a THOR Miramar and it's their new Class A gas edition and is located here: 2014 Miramar Motor Homes: Class A RV by Thor Motor Coach

We're approaching retirement in a few years so she agreed this morning to reconsider in a few months. I also told her that I'm going ahead with the plan because it was a dream that we envisioned for so long now... with or without her. Worked to darn hard all my life and really never traveled at all after I got married almost 30 years ago. I really want to see every State in the USA and take my time seeing everything she has to offer. Thank you everyone for giving me my confidence and courage back after a feeling so terrible last night! You're all so AWESOME!!!
Moonless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It's a THOR Miramar and it's their new Class A gas edition and is located here: 2014 Miramar Motor Homes: Class A RV by Thor Motor Coach

We're approaching retirement in a few years so she agreed this morning to reconsider in a few months. I also told her that I'm going ahead with the plan because it was a dream that we envisioned for so long now... with or without her. Worked to darn hard all my life and really never traveled at all after I got married almost 30 years ago. I really want to see every State in the USA and take my time seeing everything she has to offer. Thank you everyone for giving me my confidence and courage back after a feeling so terrible last night! You're all so AWESOME!!!
Attaboy!!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #26

Quote:
It's a THOR Miramar and it's their new Class A gas edition and is located here: 2014 Miramar Motor Homes: Class A RV by Thor Motor Coach We're approaching retirement in a few years so she agreed this morning to reconsider in a few months. I also told her that I'm going ahead with the plan because it was a dream that we envisioned for so long now... with or without her. Worked to darn hard all my life and really never traveled at all after I got married almost 30 years ago. I really want to see every State in the USA and take my time seeing everything she has to offer. Thank you everyone for giving me my confidence and courage back after a feeling so terrible last night! You're all so AWESOME!!!
I have a friend that goes to Florida every year and his wife stays up here. He says he thinks that why they just celebrated their 50 th anniversary. Just saying???

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good for you!

The Miramar did not share the Palazzo's slide issues as far as I know...and it is much more similar to our Outlaw for design. And we have never had those problems.

And, given the time that has passed, I am sure Thor will work out those problems with Lippert's help (slide drive and leveling jack mfgt.).

Best luck in what ever direction you choose...hope to see you out there!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a different suggestion. Do not buy a Class A. When I started looking I decided class A was too expensive. I did the math and it did not make any dollars and sense to buy one. We decided to go with a good quality fifth wheel. I already had a 3/4 ton diesel pickup and I got a new heartland 5th wheel for around 40,000. We used it for a year. To be honest if I was going to stay somewhere for a month or two months or something like that I think the 5th wheel was a better choice. It seemed like they were a lot better insulated and a lot easier to keep cool or warm. We had an island in our kitchen and quite a bit more kitchen cabinets. I liked the living room layout better. What I did not like was towing a 5th wheel I never got comfortable with that. A lot of people have no problem doing it but I never got comfortable. We started looking at travel trailers. We found a 25 foot bullitt with rear kitchen that had quite a nice floor plan. I believe we could have traveled in it very comfortably. It was 20,000.00 We almost went to the travel trailer then we decided that we had always wanted a class A pusher. We found a good deal on a 2005 and bought it . We paid quite a bit more for the 7 year old pusher than we did for the new 5th wheel. There are some nice 5th wheel units out there. I was in a RV sales in Bartlesville Ok 3 weeks ago. I do not remember the unit but it was a rear raised kitchen. I was pretty impressed by raising the kitchen up they had room underneath it and in the back for a lot of storage room There were two pass through storage areas in the back as well as the big pass through storage area in the front under the bedroom area. It had 4 slides. The kitchen was huge. A lot of counter space and cabinets. The front was already set up with a generator. It had hydraulic levelers installed from the factory and two A/C units. With all of these features it was on 55,000 and that was a new unit. One of the biggest differences between 5th wheels and Class A pushers is maintenance costs. The 4 tires are equal to one or two of the Class A depending on the brand you buy. You do not have an expensive truck engine to maintain. Any work on the pickup you use to pull it will be done at a automotive mechanic and their rate is a lot cheaper. You can find ford or chevy or dodge mechanics any where. With a motor home not only do you have to find a truck mechanic but usually you need one that works on RV's. The Advantage to the Class A pusher is convenience and the comfortable ride. That is why we bought one. But if your wife is not interested in the expense look into buying a used diesel pickup with 50,000 or so miles and either a 5th wheel or travel trailer. YOu can even find really good deals on used 5th wheels. It will cheaper over all and you can still take your house with you when you drive to visit the kids and grandkids
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote