Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #1

Dreams on hold...

So the wife and I have been dreaming of owning a new RV for many years now. So after a few years researching for all the features she wants we decided to look closely at a new THOR Miranda… but after reading all the negative reviews lately she told me tonight that we might as well forget the dream! I was devastated because she won’t fly and our kids are older and live on the west coast. She said the cost of ownership, insurance, excise tax, state tax when we purchase has taken the wind out of her sails… we live in MA. Then she told me that after reading all the negative reviews on THOR took her over the edge. Anyway thanks for the forum and all the help for the last few years for all the great advice. Everyone here is awesome and hopefully we’ll be back. Sometimes dreams have to wait for a long while…

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is there a reason you're considering only a Thor Miranda? There are plenty of other manufacturers out there. Don't let bad reviews on 1 prevent you from pursuing the dream.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Rent a unit , Never put dreams on hold
Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

Moonless how sad. I can understand the tax issues but I can also say its worth it. We spent one night last fall in a nice hotel In Elkhart IN while our MH was being worked on. It was awful. I love to travel and have our house with us. I'm not going to say what MH we have but I will say they are all trouble. They all have issues and it's understandable. They are very complex and things go wrong. If you read the forums no one would buy a MH. Shop around and reconsider. It's a wonderful way to see the country and a very comfortable way to travel. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Moonless how sad. I can understand the tax issues but I can also say its worth it. We spent one night last fall in a nice hotel In Elkhart IN while our MH was being worked on. It was awful. I love to travel and have our house with us. I'm not going to say what MH we have but I will say they are all trouble. They all have issues and it's understandable. They are very complex and things go wrong. If you read the forums no one would buy a MH. Shop around and reconsider. It's a wonderful way to see the country and a very comfortable way to travel. Good luck.
Absolute ditto!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many more RV manufactures out there that build RVs other than Thor and a lot better ones as well. Like suggested, rent one and try it out.

As for local property taxes and suck, move your domicle to a state that is more favorable if you are retired. There are lots of states with better tax structures.

Ken
Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Find something you like and can afford and do it!!

We bought our present 2002 DSDP new, planned on retiring, selling the house and going full time.
1. My parents got older and required more care.
2. DW's daughter died and we "inherited" her two boys, oldest has left but youngest is now 14 and still with us. We're both 66 and didn't plan on raising another family.
3. House market is bad, we're no where near underwater but selling it won't pay it and the motorhome off now, plus we need to upgrade/replace the carpets. House was a 1983 Parade Of Homes house and the flooring is all original.
4. DW's health has gone south and has worked very little in the last year and 8 trips to ER, ICU and regular rooms. At the present time we don't even know how much longer she'll have a job. Luckily she has good health, short and long term insurances though.
Guess I'm trying to say, if you want to do it, NOW is the time!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remember tomorrow you will be an other day older. One year from now you will be a year older. Next thing you no you will be to old to dream. Do it now because you never no what tomorrow will bring.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:35 AM   #9

I will even say that my health went bad at 55 and was forced to retire. I'm in constant pain and have around half what I was planing to have at planed retirement at 65. I loved by job and I was good at it. It paid well but I wasn't getting rich. We looked at a new plan with what we had and made it work. It's not with out some risk but what is. I sometime can only drive a hour or to but then we stop and rest. I might not be able to drive the rest of day or I might drive another couple hours. I do what I can and enjoy the sights as I can. We don't care what anyone driving a Provost thinks and they don't care about about ours. We almost always have the best chats and often have a meal to gather. In my opinion it is worth all the work at the loss of capital that is sure to come with any MH. Feel free to PM me.i don't know your personal financial health but there are MH new for 80-130000. Used is a great market and you can buy a lot of MH for the money. Just do it ! And again good luck.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonless View Post
So the wife and I have been dreaming of owning a new RV for many years now. So after a few years researching for all the features she wants we decided to look closely at a new THOR Miranda… but after reading all the negative reviews lately she told me tonight that we might as well forget the dream! I was devastated because she won’t fly and our kids are older and live on the west coast. She said the cost of ownership, insurance, excise tax, state tax when we purchase has taken the wind out of her sails… we live in MA. Then she told me that after reading all the negative reviews on THOR took her over the edge. Anyway thanks for the forum and all the help for the last few years for all the great advice. Everyone here is awesome and hopefully we’ll be back. Sometimes dreams have to wait for a long while…
I suspect it was not your wife's dream, she was just being supportive. You may just want to ask her the alternative, since here feet are so cold now. I suspect it really has nothing to do with the unit you were looking at.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Divorce her.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
This forum has given you some good advice.I have health issues (cancer,in remission now) We are moving forward with the m/h life(never had one) as as someone said here tomorrow you will be 1 day older .I find i listen to my gut feeling after thinking about it.We are going to go forward and not look back.Yes we expect problems with a motor home,but we had problems with our house,just have to learn another type of maintenance.
Good luck and good hunting.Tim
Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #13

You can't change the cost of ownership but you sure can get a different brand.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Play it safe, buy used, evaluate the life style before you go whole hog. It sounds like your spouse is very nervous about the whole plunge.

Lot's of used stuff available in Florida, take a 2 week vacation and come down and look around. If you find a nice 10 year old unit and don't like the lifestyle you are going to get out of it a whole lot cheaper than your losses on a new unit.

We bought an older unit about 2 years ago and are finding it hard to justify upgrading to bigger and better based on our actual usage, and the "so far ....knock wood" good experience with the unit. if it collapsed and died on the side of the road tomorrow I would be out far less than the depreciation loss on a new unit bought 2 years ago.