Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Dreamy RV

Well, at least we thought it was a dream. We have been fulltiming rv'ing now for almost 4 years. We bought a 2006 endeavor which was on consignment and got it for a good price, engine, generator, always good. In the last year and a half we have had 3 new windshields installed. We are currently at the fleetwood service and factory in Decatur, Ind. They have established that a lack of enough fiberglass at the top has caused all our windshields to break. Our glass insurance pays for all of it, but they would not pay for the fiberglass build-up or a new gasket. We had a laundry list of items to be fixed, it is an older coach after all, dvd player never hooked up, dash monitor for cameras were flashing, motor for fantastic fan in bath inoperable, warm fridge, new slide seals on all 4 slides, that the extended warranty paid for, lots of air leaks in the suspension, they paid for some, inverter broken, microwave fried and the receptacle it was plugged into, that was covered, somewhat, techs leaned on cover over stovetop and cracked it, they fixed that, getting microwave into coach, it hit the refrigerator moulding, and gouges all over, we have had numerous mobile techs on the road to fix electrical problems as well as fixing our washer, dryer, I now am afraid to use our jack system when we leave here, the windshield cracked before because of that. This was supposed to be our dream for our future, it is nothing more than a rolling earthquake, all 4 crown mouldings fell off while we were driving down the road, also the tv in the bedroom. It is a lovely large coach and when nothing is wrong it is great, but s-t happens and puts a lot of stress on us. After all is fixed we will take our last summer trip to the new england states, we still have 8 months left on our extended warranty and then look for a nice bungalow with some land in northern florida, we have been too close to people for too long. We had our fun and now it will be over and we will live a new dream. We are just too old(I am 70) for all this stuff. Wishing you all good luck with all your rv'ing.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #2

I truly believe that this RV stuff is not for the faint of heart. It is an adventure for sure, and IMO it is way easier and more fun if you have the ability to fix some stuff yourself. If not, it is just stressful and expensive. Not fun. And yours has been a disaster for whoever! Very sorry to hear.

Not sure what you were saying about being close to people. I don't know the attraction of a lot of these RV parks. Getting close to NATURE is what this is supposed to be about. Not getting close to whoever drives up to live next to you for a while. I have LOVED some of the weekends we have spent in state parks with really roomy lots. Neighbors weren't on top of us, and nature was! But of course the price was electrical hook up only. No issue for a weekend, but for longer than that you have the regular runs for water and drop offs.

Really sorry about the disaster coach for you.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Never to old!

I have been RVing for most of 50 years. You are never to OLD! Wife and I are 77 and 76 years old. Yes I have had my share of lemons New and Used. RV can be very expensive sometimes to maintain. We don't full time, but do spend 3 to 6 months of the year in our motor home. We have a sticks and bricks home also. We down sized RV's because we don't travel as much. I will always have a RV. It keeps me busy fixing and repairing things as well as making modifications. Enjoy Life and if it is causing you stress get rid of it.
Mel
Old 07-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I truly believe that this RV stuff is not for the faint of heart. It is an adventure for sure, and IMO it is way easier and more fun if you have the ability to fix some stuff yourself. If not, it is just stressful and expensive.
Can I get an "Amen."
Old 07-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Well, at least we thought it was a dream. We have been fulltiming rv'ing now for almost 4 years. We bought a 2006 endeavor which was on consignment and got it for a good price, engine, generator, always good. In the last year and a half we have had 3 new windshields installed. We are currently at the fleetwood service and factory in Decatur, Ind. They have established that a lack of enough fiberglass at the top has caused all our windshields to break. Our glass insurance pays for all of it, but they would not pay for the fiberglass build-up or a new gasket. We had a laundry list of items to be fixed, it is an older coach after all, dvd player never hooked up, dash monitor for cameras were flashing, motor for fantastic fan in bath inoperable, warm fridge, new slide seals on all 4 slides, that the extended warranty paid for, lots of air leaks in the suspension, they paid for some, inverter broken, microwave fried and the receptacle it was plugged into, that was covered, somewhat, techs leaned on cover over stovetop and cracked it, they fixed that, getting microwave into coach, it hit the refrigerator moulding, and gouges all over, we have had numerous mobile techs on the road to fix electrical problems as well as fixing our washer, dryer, I now am afraid to use our jack system when we leave here, the windshield cracked before because of that. This was supposed to be our dream for our future, it is nothing more than a rolling earthquake, all 4 crown mouldings fell off while we were driving down the road, also the tv in the bedroom. It is a lovely large coach and when nothing is wrong it is great, but s-t happens and puts a lot of stress on us. After all is fixed we will take our last summer trip to the new england states, we still have 8 months left on our extended warranty and then look for a nice bungalow with some land in northern florida, we have been too close to people for too long. We had our fun and now it will be over and we will live a new dream. We are just too old(I am 70) for all this stuff. Wishing you all good luck with all your rv'ing.
Sorry you had such a bad experience with RVing, and I hope your next chapter will be much more enjoyable. Best wishes to you.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and at 68 was really looking forward to full time travel. But the DW just got word last month that she has liver cancer plus we still have one grandson living with us (his mother died in '08).
All this right after we bought the Magna, she was terminated from her job with one weeks notice and lost her health insurance. Had to take COBRA ($1,432/mo) and sign up for Medicare too.
And I won't go into the engine problems with the Magna as I've already said too much on that subject.
Not sure how much longer we'll be traveling even.
Oh well, take life as it comes I guess.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The last couple of years has been difficult to deal with on our coach.

Allison ECM
Generator
Coach Batteries & House Batteries
EMS crashed, new upgrade
1 AC failed but fixed with new blower motor
Last but least, radiator had hole punched in it but insurance covered it.
Lots of little stuff that adds up to $$$$$

We love it but at home point in time you have to say enough is enough.

We will give it another year and may decide enough is enough, already broke the new to my wife.

Owning an older DP is not for the faint of heart or light of pocket book.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:17 AM   #8

This post is exactly why we went the direction we did.
We bought older but well taken care of, only paid $13,000 which was a good fit for our budget ,at that price we will be careful how much we put into it, my thoughts are if too many things break we can cut the cord and minamize the losses.
Real happy with it in the 9 months we have owned it, have done a few short trips big one in September Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta then Grand Canyon.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:18 AM   #9

I have traveled these beautiful United States extensively with my wife and puppy since 2011 in a quad slide 45ft Travel Supreme Select. It had been a wonderful time creating memories. Our repairs have been minimal we only had to get our engine air cond charged in California other than that our only down time was doing upgrades we chose. Now I'm planning on downsizing to a smaller older diesel pusher as I haven't been without s coach since the early 70s. My wife is ready to stay in one place for a while before traveling for long trips. I love the RV lifestyle and would recommend to all who are considering trying it. Happy Travels.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Last month the sump pump in our basement failed and flooded the new carpet.
I was gone on a trip so GF had to deal with that.

Found out we may need a new roof 15k for that.

I only say this stuff because ANYWERE one lives there will almost certainly be issues.

What separates a disaster from a bump in the road is attitude.
unpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Owning the S&B as well as a coach is a trial!

I've spent about $17,000 on our Beaver in the last 1.5 years. It's killin me! More of a bad dream than a "Dream".
Every time I take it to the shop for something the bill starts at $1,000 it seems. Unless you're a heavy duty mechanic with every tool imaginable, you ain't fixin it yourself! There's only so much you can do in your driveway.

Doesn't matter your age.....expenses are expenses! Thankfully, I'm pretty much done.

Sometimes, a guy just buys the wrong one no matter how careful you are.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpilot View Post
Last month the sump pump in our basement failed and flooded the new carpet.
I was gone on a trip so GF had to deal with that.

Found out we may need a new roof 15k for that.

I only say this stuff because ANYWERE one lives there will almost certainly be issues.

What separates a disaster from a bump in the road is attitude.
Amen to that. Take life one day at a time and enjoy while you can.
Mel