Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #1

Drivability issues

Hello fellow travelers! I need to hear what you all have to say about drivability. I am travelling in a 40' Monaco Dynasty, 1999 model. I have owned it a little over a year and have learned a lot! There was a bit of neglected maintenance. All and all, it is a good rig. I love the life! I tend to be a bit fussy though and although I know it will never drive like a pickup truck, I would like it if it could be as comfortable as the last Peterbuilt I drove! Seems the roadmaster might not be the best chassis out there. I have my third set of tires on the front end and still feel just a little shake, just a little. 1000 miles it's a bother. Also, would expect a little better ride overall, wondering if I might just need to sell it and move on.
Monaco Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

I'm at a bit of a loss understanding what you've done. In one sentence you indicate that you've owned the coach for approx. 1 year. In another sentence you indicate you're on you're 3rd set of front tires. How is it possible to burn through 3 sets of tires in one year? Or, are you just arbitrarily throwing good money into tires trying to find the "perfect" fit????

I'm not sure how many different motor homes you've owned but in no way will you get the same ride as a car, pick up or in many cases a tractor truck. I've been in many tractors, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, Freightliner etc etc. Most all of the ride great when loaded and "VERY" stiff with not carrying a load.

Motor homes are a unique breed. A house built on a medium truck like chassis. Some builders know how to distribute weight across the chassis while others don't and this contributes to driveability.

So, the bottom line is elaborate on what you've done and why you don't like it. Let us know what tire pressures you're carrying and if you've experimented with pressures.

Also you need to post such info as, how new are the shock absorbers, are the bushings in the front end in good shape, is the front aligned properly etc etc.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

Dave you need to go to the Monaco owners forum and search a thread that is called. "Wondering sway bars alignment ride height Oh my."
I am not sure how to send you the link to it but you can find it.

There are many things to check on the RR8S chassis you have and several Modifications that are chassis specific to your coach that you can do to help.

There are some Monaco RV owners who have done a lot of research and build products to help handling.

Rusty
Old 07-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave;

If I read right that you have gone thru 3 sets of front tires I would get a good wheel alignment promptly. That likely will solve some of your wear and handling issues. If you have not had your tires balanced that needs to be done also. Post back on whet you did to solve your problems as we all learn from each other.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,

There are a few comments before me that have good info and questions. I would strongly suggest you post over in the 'monaco owners' portion of IRV2. There has been much discussion about this exact very topic with great results.

I believe you have a semi-monacoque chassis, however. Someone mentioned you might have an RR8S.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote