Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Monaco specifically states that bikes are not to be carried near a rear radiator due to windflow and cooling problems. Stands to reason it would be applicable to any rear radiator...
Never had any cooling issues. A lot of the time it is their lawyers cya ing themselves

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I stand slightly corrected. Learned something new today, thanks.

Maybe a trailer is the answer... small car + bikes?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #17

I have a 40 ft. madp no tag with a sc 2100 blue ox carrier that has g29 golf cart & tow a xkx 5000 lb car . Drives the same with are with out.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
i saw two (not one) different excursions with bikes on the back and towing a car.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Monaco specifically states that bikes are not to be carried near a rear radiator due to windflow and cooling problems. Stands to reason it would be applicable to any rear radiator...
We've used our Overbilt MC carrier for 5 years on our rear radiator coach and just recently took it through Montana, Wyoming and the Rockies enroute to Seattle. It was 98 degrees outside and the only overheating we got close to was making some of those crazy climbs up the mountains.

One thing I like about Overbilt was that before selling the carrier to me they focused on the type of coach we had. No gassers allowed due to frame issues and the thing is attached via a welded 3 point hitch.

If done correctly it can be a blast because we love taking our Harley Springer with us.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #20

Quote:
the only thing that stands to reason is their lack of confidence in their cooling system.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #21

I have a 2001 American Eagle 40ft no tag axle and carry a Goldwing on an Overbuilt lift. Jeep Wrangler connects to the lift. No difference in the ride and can't tell that the Goldwing is even there. Great set up. Have a buddy with same setup on 02 Winnebago journey, he loves it as well. Glad I can take the bike along!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #22

Interesting contradictions

Interesting, is it not, the differences in posts between those who have actual EXPERIENCE using motorcycle lifts on non-tag coaches, and those who are quoting what they have learned by reading on the Internet? How about the differences in the opinions about overloading the rear axle between those who have actually had their coaches WEIGHED with a motorcycle lift and those who warn you against it? And the difference between the handling of a coach WITH a motorcycle lift and WITHOUT--would you prefer to get your evaluation from someone reporting what he read on the Internet...or someone who has ACTUAL real-life experience with his coach BEFORE and AFTER installing the lift?

It will be interesting to see the nature of the replies to this post.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had a 36FT Journey I was going to add the Hydralift, did the 4 corner weigh and added extra weight based on several formulas and I was within 100lbs of the max gross weight. I just did not comfortable. so I waited and finally bought a 42ft with a tag, did the weight before, just had the Hydralift installed and will be reweighing next month. On the first drive no difference in handling, except that I have to recalibrate my new tail swing with that extra 5ft hanging out there.

There is a person on here "FIREUP" who had the Hydralift on his 36ft and then now has a lift in the back of the pickup. He is very knowledgeable on the weights and handling for both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct 09 2014_1128.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	77081  
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #24

I had a rampage lift that I mounted on three 2 inch receivers on the back of a country coach ( way over weight on rear). My partner had a foretravel 45' with tag he was within weight on rear but using tag to balance load he was over weight on front. I now have a monaco dynasty 42' with tag and was within weights but did not like the effort to load and unload since you have to find a good spot on right rear to have 16' hard surface to use the ramp.

I run with four guys that all have 4x4 pickups flat tow with rampage lift like fire guy and now three of us are all carrying trikes. Look here for info.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/942865...7600511840095/
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #25

KISS - Haul the bike on a Kendon folding trailer - motorhome won't know it's even there, super easy walk on load, roll off unload and virtually NO weight worries. The kendon trailer even stands on its own bottom in the garage & I can put my suv in, win win deal & probably cheaper than a lift.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #26

I have a 2003 fleetwood revolution 38 b non tag with a hydra lift, I did the blue ox calculator, never did weigh the coach, but I comfortably haul my 600 lb GS adv around on it, I can feel it, but it's not anything I would consider an issue, Been using it for two years now, no problems, I also two an 8,000 lb trailer ( not with the bike on the lift) all is good, in fact a little while back some kid ran into the back of the trailer attached to the Hydra lift, destroyed his car( texting while driving) bent the lift, broke the receiver, I bought a new receiver and was able to keep towing till I got a new mainframe from Hydralift
Old 10-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #27

I've thought about this, and seen all kinds of strange contraptions on the road. We hauled both bikes on a trailer for several years, but then you didn't have a car if needed. Now we tow the car, but I keep looking at all the roads where I want the bike. Can't win.

If I had more storage space, and a little extra money, I'd go to a much smaller tow car (Fiat 500 or similar size) and get a trailer for bike(s) + car. But then you have to store the trailer! Can't win for losing.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a Honda ST1300, 750 lbs or so that I was going to lift. Instead, I bought a Versahaul ramp that slides into the receiver (500 lb limit), bought my buddy's KLR 600 for $1000, and I can tow our car behind it.
I'm not worried about the KLR as much as I'd worry about the Honda, and get to have two bikes when I'm home, plus I can off road the KLR.
I had this configuration behind my 28' Tioga Ranger class C for 28000 miles in two years and now on the Rev. By the way, the Rev has a 15000 lb receiver on it...

krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote