Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Interesting, is it not, the differences in posts between those who have actual EXPERIENCE using motorcycle lifts on non-tag coaches, and those who are quoting what they have learned by reading on the Internet? How about the differences in the opinions about overloading the rear axle between those who have actually had their coaches WEIGHED with a motorcycle lift and those who warn you against it? And the difference between the handling of a coach WITH a motorcycle lift and WITHOUT--would you prefer to get your evaluation from someone reporting what he read on the Internet...or someone who has ACTUAL real-life experience with his coach BEFORE and AFTER installing the lift?

It will be interesting to see the nature of the replies to this post.
A lot of good comments in this discussion. We purchased a 2004 Meridian 34H (35') 2 years ago and quickly realized that we needed secondary transportation. I did a lot of research on lifts and although I wanted to buy the Hydralift, after doing the formulas and weighing my unit, I realized the lift was just too heavy for my short wheel base and GVWR. I found a lighter unit called Mighty hauler, which weighs in at 280 lbs. I had it installed on the coach and although I was about 500 lbs over my rear axle with my Roadking, it worked, but it would sometimes "porpoise" on rolling roads and driving in higher winds offered opportunities.
We just purchased a 2011 Meridian 40U, which I thought would be great with the longer wheel base. Unfortunately, after having it installed, I had the coach weighed while on a trip to Austin and found out that I was 1700 lbs on the rear axle! The coach handled find, but I knew that the bike was back there. Yes, it does ride better, but I can notice the lift in the front on smaller roads. I don't know how people are able to add a lift and a bike and still be under their GAWR on the rear. Although it was just my wife and I on a short week trip, very little in the basement, our total GVWR was 32,880, versus the 32,360 stipulated by Itasca. Am I missing something or do most people just not weigh their coaches? I guess I am headed back to my trailer...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Interesting, is it not, the differences in posts between those who have actual EXPERIENCE using motorcycle lifts on non-tag coaches, and those who are quoting what they have learned by reading on the Internet? How about the differences in the opinions about overloading the rear axle between those who have actually had their coaches WEIGHED with a motorcycle lift and those who warn you against it? And the difference between the handling of a coach WITH a motorcycle lift and WITHOUT--would you prefer to get your evaluation from someone reporting what he read on the Internet...or someone who has ACTUAL real-life experience with his coach BEFORE and AFTER installing the lift?

It will be interesting to see the nature of the replies to this post.
Another important factor that I have learned the hard way is that with a rear radiator DP, there is a significant amount of heat at high temperature blowing out the back. I purchased a lift out of Ohio (mightyhauler)that only sits about 24" off the ground. Living in CA and AZ, I have already had to replace my handle grips. Really concerned about my leather seat and the paint on 100 anniversary scoot.