Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Drive shaft removal.

Good morning everyone. I am getting ready to remove my driveshaft on my 2005 Monaco Monarch 30PPD. Reason being I am getting some vibration at certain speeds and smooth at other speeds. I know it's not tires because when put in neutral, vibration goes away. I am betting it is the joints and not transmission issues. So I bought all the universal joints and carrier bearings need to do the job. Any tips from you guys before I get started? Thanks!
hogman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you drop the drive shaft. Make sure you don't have a seized slip yoke.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When you remove the drive shaft take some sort of marker that won't come off and mark the 2 portions of the slip joint so that you get the timing right. It is important that the swivel portion of each of the U-Joints are in time, if the aren't it will eventually stress/fail a U-Joint.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

Chock your wheels!

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #5

You mentioned when you put the trans in neutral, the vibration goes away.

You know the drive shaft speed of rotation is related to the speed of the vehicle.
when you put the trans in neutral, the trans and engine rotation is slowed as you remove you foot from the throttle.

This may indicate an out of balance situation at the torque converter, one or more loose bolts in that area attaching the fly wheel to the engine. Bad vibration damper at the front of your engine will produce the same effect.

These things you may want to check out also before you begin your work. That slip joint mentioned above is a biggie for causing drive train vibration issues. But from your description, I'm thinking the problem is between the engine and the transmission just due to the speed you mentioned. Try revving the engine in neutral and see if you feel the vibration while not rolling. Then if you don't, do the same thing while rolling. I think this will help you better pinpoint the problem area.

best of luck, and please keep us updated.
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Chock your wheels!

Doesn't this coach have air brakes?

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 05-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #7

Have you checked ride height?

If off by just a little bit it will cause out of alignment issues that msy only bark at certian spots.

Verify that before any hard work.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
You mentioned when you put the trans in neutral, the vibration goes away.

You know the drive shaft speed of rotation is related to the speed of the vehicle.
when you put the trans in neutral, the trans and engine rotation is slowed as you remove you foot from the throttle.

This may indicate an out of balance situation at the torque converter, one or more loose bolts in that area attaching the fly wheel to the engine. Bad vibration damper at the front of your engine will produce the same effect.

These things you may want to check out also before you begin your work. That slip joint mentioned above is a biggie for causing drive train vibration issues. But from your description, I'm thinking the problem is between the engine and the transmission just due to the speed you mentioned. Try revving the engine in neutral and see if you feel the vibration while not rolling. Then if you don't, do the same thing while rolling. I think this will help you better pinpoint the problem area.

best of luck, and please keep us updated.
DTW

X2 check the balance of your drive shaft, you might as well if you already have it it out.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Doesn't this coach have air brakes?

No. Not on a gasser coach.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #10

You are correct. Thanks.

Tags
removal