Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Question Driveability of Class A

Having driven a 5er for 8 years we're thinking of switching to a Class A.

Given our wants/needs were looking at an Entegra Aspire, Newmar Ventana or Tiffin Phaeton. I've been doing the research and ran across the rv.org site an got looking at the ratings they provide.

My question is - "Are the road handling ratings accurate simply based on the ratio of wheelbase to overall length?"

I'm inclined to go with the smaller end of these brands but need a significant towing (10k) but the 'poor' driveability is a concern.

Any thoughts?
Tony0092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:12 AM   #2

Are you looking at new 40' coach's? If so, I don't believe you'll have any handling problems. My Dutch Star is 15yrs. old and handles great.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also have a 40' Fleetwood Revolution and it drives like a dream compaired to the 36' HR I traded in for the FW. The HR was gasser the FW is a DP. Big defference. Good luck and happy trails
John424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've heard that the bigger the coach the better it will handle. We went from a 36' 5er to the 40' 2002 Windsor and it drives like a dream!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, we haven't owned one of the bigger (38+) class As (outside our budget) But have owned 2 both were 36ft. 1st was a gas 2 slides (noisy & not enough room) this one is a 2010 Phaeton DP, 4 slds, and it drives wonderfully. First "big" trip was from IN to NC through Smokies on I-40 had no issues pulling the toad.

Happy hunting
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #6

Thanks - I was concerned that the handling would get sloppy if the total length gets too large - looks like it's not an issue with the newer coaches
Tony0092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Each drives differently, but I don't think you'll find any of them "sloppy". And, there are ways to tailor the rides to suit your preferences.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both our 2000 38' and 2002 40' Dutch Stars DP's handled fine. The previous 35' Santara tag axle gasser, not so good.
The present Magna is a totally different animal and will put you to sleep or lull you into thinking you're going much slower than you are. Ergo: first speeding ticket in 25 years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #9

The present Magna is a totally different animal and will put you to sleep or lull you into thinking you're going much slower than you are. Ergo: first speeding ticket in 25 years.[/QUOTE]

That's why my cruise control is my best friend on the interstates.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
My Entegra Anthem 44 ft drives and handles so much better than my 36 ft Fleetwood Excursion .... feel like we actually have control and it feels safe, stable. Wouldn't go back to a smaller Class A ...ever! May be the tag - but much, much better. IMO
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #11

We moved from a 29' gasser to a 35' Ventana and the difference is amazing but most say that the longer the coach, the better it handles. Of course, the Ventana is longer & much heavier with bigger tires compared to our gasser and that contributes some to the difference in handling. I think our Ventana has a 5,000 lb hitch rating but you should be able to have a different hitch installed if your coach can handle the weight. Just make sure it's installed correctly.

Our Ventana has "Comfort Drive". If you aren't familiar with it, please search for numerous threads that discuss it's advantages. We were skeptical that it made that much difference but are believers now.

Ours is the shortest of the the coaches you've listed at 34'10". I don't think either of the others are that short. Sometime, less is more.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

We went with a tag just because we too are towing close to 10K ..... can't compare to the 40s w/o tag ... but our handles great ... hardly even know the trailer is back there .... I think if you stick to major chassis builders, you'll find them to handle very nicely .... We're on a Spartan ... & love it ........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony0092 View Post
My question is - "Are the road handling ratings accurate simply based on the ratio of wheelbase to overall length?"
No, it's just a rule of thumb: In general, a long coach with a short wheelbase will generally not drive as well as a long coach with a long wheelbase, or a short coach with a short wheel base.

However, every coach is different, as are every driver's expectations. The only way to determine if you will like the handling of a particular coach is by you actually driving it.

Someone may say their coach drives like a dream, but they may have lower expectations than you, and if you drove it you might not like it. Similarly, someone may say they don't like the way a particular coach drives, but they may have higher expectations, and if you drive it you might like it.

There is no simple answer: to get the definitive answer you will have to drive the coach yourself.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #14

I have a 32' gas and it drives fine. Sort of like a large box truck. Of course when the wind blows it can be a little unnerving. i have no idea how the large D's handle in the wind but they do provide a larger sail. lol

Tags
class a