Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Driver Fatigue

This is our second year with a Class A. Last season we had a gaser and this year we upgraded to a DP. I have noticed when driving my neck and shoulders get tight. This use to happen when driving the gaser but eventually went away. Maybe it is stress or nerves with the new coach...

What do you all do on long trips to not get so tight?

Thanks,

TR
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76
This is our second year with a Class A. Last season we had a gaser and this year we upgraded to a DP. I have noticed when driving my neck and shoulders get tight. This use to happen when driving the gaser but eventually went away. Maybe it is stress or nerves with the new coach...

Thanks,

TR
Slow the speed down (used to go 70-75) now 60-63.
Make sure your chair is the correct height, arm rests correct position, steering wheel at right tilt. I tend to drive straight through from here to Colorado 8.5 hrs with one stop unless the dogs are with us then 2-3. I still have the gasser but I found that if I just sat in the drivers seat for awhile (parked in driveway) I would start tensing up, I made multiple adjustments and now have it real close to comfortable for the long trips.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Slow the speed down (used to go 70-75) now 60-63.
X2 Not saying that speeding is your issue but just the idea of sitting up so high and watching the countryside go by through those big old windows is really relaxing to me.

Does your rig handle OK? I know when I took delivery of my new DP it seemed so "loosy goosey" that just keeping it between the lines required both hands and full concentration and tired me out quickly.

I got the handling issues fixed and it made a world of difference.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

Had same issue both prior posts helped me relax by getting seat in correct position AND having front end aligned to MY liking!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Loosen the grip and set the seat where you can rest your elbows on the armrest comfortably.

It takes time to get comfortable with a new rig. My DW still leans away when we pass tractor trailers. I think her neck is stiffer than mine at the end of the trip.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got one of these.....Amazon.com: Mesh Neck Support Comfortable Cushion- Single: Health & Personal Care

Sometimes I bounce my neck on it just to massage it. Gives very good support.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Takes a while for reactions to be automatic when you get a new motor home. When your responses are automatic you tend to relax more. I agree completely with slowing down. Plus take a break when you feel tense. Pull in to the next rest stop and lay on the couch with closed eyes for a couple of minutes.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tightness in your neck and shoulders is stress. On your coach, bring the armrests down so that your forearms are sitting comfortably on them. Adjust the wheel up/down and back and forth so that your arms can remain on the armrests and still comfortably control the coach.

I'm very comfortable in mine and usually drive with just my left hand lightly gripping the wheel. I also throttle up and down in most driving situations with the cruise control on the Smart Wheel, except in bumper to bumper traffic. I don't like the feel of the throttle pedal.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #9

Driver's seat adjustment

It is very important to adjust the driver's seat to suit your comfort.
A long while back, I used to drive with the arm rest to my liking. Usually within 100 miles my sciatic nerve would give serious trouble from my right hip to my toes. Almost by accident I discovered I could drive for a long time without pain if I left the arm rests down (not up). Now, I enjoy driving.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'll guess 80% stress. Monitor your grip on both hands often. Anytime you find yourself with a "Grip", open you hand(s) and jusy lay them on the wheel.

Use to teach motorcycle riding and tactics to new riders. Almost all would put death grips on the controls and would be exausted after 30-60 mins. Once they learned to relax and monitored their grip, they could ride all day long.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #11

We try to stop every 2 - 3 hours and walk the dog around the rest area. My wife claims I tend to get irritable after 4:00 so, if the schedule permits, we stop earlier in the day.

I read somewhere that full-timers average 200 - 250 miles per day. We did this on two cross-country trips and, if you have the time, it makes a much more relaxing trip.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post

Thanks,

TR
I used to get exactly the same thing and like others here, it was an out of adjustment seat. I tilt the back way forward until it feels like I'm sitting in a high back upright chair. Set the height so I can rest my arms on the armrests. At first really focus on keeping your shoulders relaxed. After awhile that part will become second nature enlist the DW to help you to remember. Stop every couple of hours and take a short walk to loosen up.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #13

I like 55mph and 250 mile per day. Any further becomes all work and no play.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #14

I like the shorter driving days, and I find that using the cruise control when it makes sense helps a lot. My DP accelerator pedal seems to take a little more force than any auto, and that translates to some muscles being used more than usual and some stress.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver